What’s happening at The Cabbage?

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bri

Passed the site of the now demolished Cabbage Inn on Gorsey Lane today and from the top of a double decker bus, (I was with my grandson and yes we were pretending to drive) I could see what appeared to be an archeological dig being carried out. I could clearly see the exposed foundations of a small building and a cobbled drive leading to Gorsey Lane. Anybody know anymore?
BOBHAMO

Hi Bri looking at the early map moss lane ran down the side of the pub
but the later map its changed to swifts lane and blocked off by the new houses
a smithy has been there a long time
B H is beer house
G P is guide post
P pump
try and find out more :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
graham01

its the site of an old village...blacksmith and a couple of cottages uncovered so far....they think there is a lot more to come...
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
BOBHAMO

Great that graham :D :D :D
keep us informed
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bri

Thanks for the info Graham, interesting.
Invicta

My Sis said the much delayed building work was just about to start when the groundwork uncovered the ruins. K
BOBHAMO

1845 map bit more detail
bobhamo
ps Ken do you remember it then :D :D
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

I remember meeting you there Bob, we walked there bare footed and bare arsed trying to catch rabbits :wink: K
BOBHAMO

:D :D :D :D them rabbits where fast
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
DenisO2019

Bri wrote:Passed the site of the now demolished Cabbage Inn on Gorsey Lane today and from the top of a double decker bus, (I was with my grandson and yes we were pretending to drive) I could see what appeared to be an archeological dig being carried out. I could clearly see the exposed foundations of a small building and a cobbled drive leading to Gorsey Lane. Anybody know anymore?

The archaeological dig is on the site of the original Cabbage Inn which dates from at least the mid 19th Century. The Cabbage was run by my ancestors. The dig is being done to support a planning application. I was able to visit the site of the dig a few months ago. The foundations of the old pub were uncovered and I was able to see the rooms my ancestors had lived in - a fascinating piece of family history.

The old McGinity's pub (which was also called the Cabbage Inn), was about 25 yards in front of the 1930s Cabbage Inn pub. The first documented usage of the name "The Cabbage" was in 1881.

The first recorded licensee of McGinity's was Alice Rimmer (nee Morley) (my great, great grandmother). The 1861 census records her as head of the household, aged 42, a "licensed beer-house keeper". She is still in the Cabbage Inn in the 1871 Census, named as the “Buckley Hill Beerhouse” on the census form. In the 1881 Census Alice is still Innkeeper.

In 1878 her daughter Elizabeth Rimmer married Michael McGinity, a coachman who had moved to Liverpool from Ireland. Michael and Elizabeth were my great grandparents. In the 1891 census Michael is shown as publican of the pub, living with his wife Elizabeth and their children, one of whom was Elizabeth McGinity, my grandmother, who was born in the old Cabbage Inn in 1890. Michael continued as publican until his death in 1904, when his widow Elizabeth took over. She ran it until her death in 1912. The pub remained in the family being run by their son Lawrence on Elizabeth's death, and Lawrence's widow Mary Katherine McGinity on his death.

The pub was run by our family continuously from at least 1861 until 1936 – more than 75 years.

The old pub was demolished in 1933 to make way for road widening and was replaced by the new Cabbage Inn. Mary ran the new Cabbage until her death in 1936.
Last edited by DenisO2019 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
graham01

Great family history.
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
Dan

Reference to the archaeological dig mentioned above by Denis.

The report is available as a 94 page download, free of charge, from the University of Salford. Link is posted below.(Checked, it does work)

https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/li ... yLitSeries

Cover and authorship as below.

The forum gets a mention on pages 18-23, referring to the Bootle Times 1934 article, below, being reproduced in Appendix 3.

Bootle Times December 1934.

Renovation of The White House and the Cabbage Inn.

Last edited by Dan on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

The report gives a possible provenance to the Buckley of Buckley Hill.

Bri

Great information Dan, thanks.
BOBHAMO

Great Dan
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Cheers Bri & Bob

Looking at one of the artefacts recovered from the old well on the premises.

An old Threlfall's ashtray from the 1930's.

Today on the net one would set you back £65. :)

I've re-edited the original 1934 article to highlight the references to the Cabbage.

Interesting explanation for the derivation of the name for The Cabbage.

Dan

From a property auction in 2014.

Property at the rear of the Cabbage. It wasn't bought. Think it may have been a betting shop.