Memory Lane

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Dan

Cheers Tony. That's the one.
Mack
Site Admin

macca21 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 pm Hi everyone, not sure where to post this but wondered if you could help. Ive moved to a job in Bootle and thought i would do a quiz on Bootle trivia to get people more interested in the area. Do you have any interesting trivia i can create questions out of?
Hiya, and welcome aboard our Bootle forum Macca. The Best place to start a trivia quiz about Bootle is in our 'Chat About Anything' section. Link below...

viewforum.php?f=4

Happy posting...

Mack (Bootle site admin)
Dan

It always annoyed me that, like The Watneys Cup, Liverpool never took Quiz Ball (1966 - 1972) seriously enough.

Here is a list of celebrity supporters who appeared.

John Arlott, Alfie Bass, James Bolam, Harry Carpenter, Brian Close, Peter Cook, Kenneth Cope, Gordon Jackson, Roy Kinnear, Sam Kydd,

John Laurie, Sam Leitch, Hugh Lloyd, Jimmy Logan, Kenny Lynch, Magnus Magnusson, Brian Moore, Pete Murray, Nicholas Parsons,

Lance Percival, Jon Pertwee, Leonard Sachs, Mike Smith, Ed Stewart, Percy Thrower, Tommy Trinder, Richard Wattis, Arthur Lowe,

John Osborne, Ted Moult, Jimmy Young.

Program was initially presented by David Vine, then Stuart Hall took over.

tonywailey63

Hi Dan, further to your request I have now placed 4 copies of the book Diary of the Smyth - Wailey's in Crosby Library. As you note, it seems to be the go to place for much of Bootle history these days maybe in keeping with huge dispersals that took place from Bootle to districts all along the river, to Netherton and to the world as this forum shows. Anyway, it's there now. All the best. :D
tony wailey
Dan

That's excellent Tony.

I'm hoping the libraries will be fully open in June, but there's no guarantees.

Everything depends on the course of the pandemic.

All the best. Dan
Dan

I never tire of watching this.

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Me too!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Dan

May 1960

Going to Colliers on London Road and paying for your clothes with a cheque from the Provident.

The total comes to £5 exactly. Took me a couple of goes. Miss Wright wouldn't have been impressed.

Dan

From the April 1938 Institute of Municipal Engineers meeting at Bootle Town Hall.

This covers the plans for the extension of Southport Road to the junction at the Cabbage on Fleetwoods Lane.

I've always wondered why the project was never completed but, looking at the plans and projections, it seems WW II was the problem.

Everything was in place but, 17 months after the meeting, WW II broke out and afterwards there were far more urgent matters to consider.

The OS map from the presentation clearly shows the projected Southport Road crossing the canal over Poulsom Drive.

So "The Hills" must have been constructed around about 1938/39.

Map below showing the projected Southport Road, starting from Kirkdale going to Ford, as a thick black line.

The traffic island in front of The Crescent..

lynne99

Wow Dan, Very interesting as I was brought up in Radnor Drive , just by Southport Rd, Thanks for posting
Dan

Cheers Lynne.

Bus and tram routes for the Liverpool region from April 1955.

Highlighting the Bootle routes.

Dan

The power cut woke me up. :cry: Alarms going off everywhere.

Saw a 1969 Victor Annual the other day. Couldn't resist.

Dan

Bus garage at Litherland from Liverpool's Buses by Terry Martin.

tonywailey63

That's a great photo Dan- didn't the number one used to run all the way along the dock road ?
tony wailey
Dan

I think so Tony. I always thought of it as the dockers' bus.

Thinking back, it may have been a replacement for the Overhead, though that may cause a heated debate.

The only reason I say that is there isn't a Number 1 service listed on the April 1955 routes below.

tonywailey63

Yeah, always remember the smells of cigarette and pipe tobacco, coming back on that bus from football training. I think most of the dockers finished at five unless they were lucky enough for the 'twilight gangs.' Great pictures and maps.
tony wailey
J.F.G

Hello

Regarding the No 1 bus, Dan and toneywailey63 are both correct, the No 1 bus was the dockers bus, the No 1E used to run a very infrequent service from Magdalen square ( Netherton ) although it did not not actually pick up at the terminus there, it stopped on Peterborough Drive at its junction with Truro avenue.

The service was very hit or miss as to whether it turned up, At this time, ( 1970 / 1975 ) I was serving my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic on Regent road and living in Netherton, the No 1E was great as it dropped me on the works doorstep, if the bus failed to arrive I had to get the No 28 from Magdalen square then walk from Stanley road down Lambeth road and Sandhills lane, when it did arrive the No 1E was always overloaded with dockers !

Regards

John
tonywailey63

Great stuff John, amazing how one bus route carried so much of a City's culture; those big gangs of apprentices playing footy in all the side streets leading down to the Canada dock used to terrify me when I first started to go away :D
tony wailey
Dan

JFG talking of the No.1 bus.

Cargill Brocklebank, Regent Road.

This great photo from the Merseyside Transport Trust. Brilliant work.

From the Trust flicker account;

"A Big Bus in Beautiful Bootle

The Merseyside Transport Trust's 1967 Atlantean, L835 heads north along Regent Road returning to our base in near-by West Lancashire after yet another successful Classic Liverpool Bus Running Day.

L835 is retracing the route of the No 1 bus route which was introduced to take over from the famous Liverpool Overhead Railway which opened in 1893 as the world's first electric elevated railway. Known locally as the Docker's Umbrella as it followed the Dock Road it avoided nationalised in 1948 but unfortunately its structure was deemed beyond restoration or repair and the railway closed at the end of 1956 with the buses taking over the following day. At this point, the railway would have been just the other side of the modern pallasade fencing straddling the Mersey Docks and Harbour Boards' own internal rail network.

The tanks belong to Cargill’s rapeseed crush plant and refinery adjacent to the former Brocklebank Dock which produces mid protein meal and crude rape oil and has facilities to outload oil for export."
Tommy L

Dan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm Bootle Times Christmas 1935.

Find Errors In Ads
Under Radio ad...............
Philips has 2 l's...............Phillips !
Am I still in time to claim a prize ?
filsgreen

MacGauleys sells diary produce. 😁
Dan

Tommy L wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:33 am
Dan wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm Bootle Times Christmas 1935.

Find Errors In Ads
Under Radio ad...............
Philips has 2 l's...............Phillips !
Am I still in time to claim a prize ?
Nope.

You're not trying hard enough Tommy.

Quick check shows another 8. And I haven't got the ad in focus. :D :D :D

Also not sure of the spelling of Corsetieres. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bernie R

Aunt Sally gets things 'sweet and claen'!
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Tommy L

Doh !!!

I hadn't realised they were deliberate mistakes to get you to read the classified ads

TEUBROOK , IDAEL etc.etc.

Must try harder !

Good idea acyually ! :D
tonywailey63

Mecano, Anniversery - great stuff, who said the 3 R's were all you need ? :D
tony wailey
Dan

From Meccano Magazine February 1937.

The vision of Captain C. Frobisher; rotary airports on city centre roof-tops.

efc46

here's me and our Len at Prince Rupert in 1992 - Everton supporters through and through !
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

1937 Meccano Magazine Frog Model Airplanes

ManOnThekop

Just enlarged your photo Davey.

efc46

Davey an Len Rowlands born blue Our Len passed away when he was 88 he was a mad evertonian me our Len an our Georgey RIP blue our Ben our lewey reds
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

Some more from the 1937 Meccano Magazine

Dan

Morning in The Streets. Liverpool 1958.

34 minutes.

Dan

Personal favourites - Old English.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Assorted for me Dan! I don't remember the soft centre ones. Maybe I had gone on to love hearts by then! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Elaine Goulding

I used to love Spangles, like Loretta I don't remember the soft ones. Can you still buy them in England?
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982