Beatrice Street photo

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
slobapig

:D I am always wondering each time I come onto the Forum about the Beatrice Street photo, who are the children pictured on it?? Anyone out there know ?

Diane
liverpool49

I dont know who the kids are but they look just the way they did when lived on Bedford Road (the next street over).
The older girl looks just like my sister did.

:-)
slobapig

:D where did you live in Bedford Road? my husband David lived there, he was born in 1957 and left in 1974 when he joined the Army.
Diane
henry

somebody has just written a book about BEATRICE STREET and its called ON A STREET WHERE YOU LIVED anybody read or heard about the book.
Paul

Henry, there is a book called Down Our Street about the whole area. You can get it from a couple of places on Stanley Road £5, worth the money.
It was written by my cousin.

Paul
henry

TA STOD Have a look to-morrow.
liverpool49

Diane
I lived at number 96 across from the O'Learys (10 kids), the Sealeafs (15 kids) were at the bottom by Stanley Road and the Blackledgers cake shop. My frien Willie Morissey lived up towards Hawthorne road. I was there 1949 to 1960 when we moved. The sweetshop on Miranda road (near St Richards church) was Kittys, the newsagent passed Beatrice street was Murphys, the small grocery at Miranda/Beatrice was the Oats' or Oatses as we said it.

Vince
matt wethered

there's a blast from the past;Murphy's and Kitty's but don't forget Nelly's for your spuds but make sure you knocked all the earth off them or you would be paying tuppence a pound for soil.When you could'nt buy cigarettes Joe Murphy always had some under the counter for my dad,ten Senior service for 1/10 and tuppence for the Dandy.wasn't Kitty's called the" catholic repository"?She always had Sweet Afton cigarettes but would only sell them to people with an Irish accent so my dad had an accent for a long time till Kitty caught him . Matt
slobapig

:D hi liverpool49! my husband lived at 154 Bedford Road, family name is ABOLS he's one of 11 children, next door were the Porters and I think they had 10 or 11 children too! My husband's parents ran a shop on Hawthorne Road for a few years, as their house was between Miranda and Hawthorne Road it was handy that the shop was just around the corner from Bedford Road into Hawthorne Road.Anyone else remember the shop? They sold sweets/cigarettes/milk/tea etc.
Jan

:lol:

Hello Paul,

I have a signed copy of the book "Down Our Street", I met your cousin, a very nice man.

Send him my regards, he will know me by the girl who was looking for deeds of houses etc in Bootle. He lives near to me, I did promise him I would give him a print-out of the 1901 census of the street he lives in and who lived in his house at that time. I printed it out, but never got around to posting it to him, I will do this shortly.

Cheers.....Jan
liverpool49

Diane
I'm trying to recall the folks you mentioned.

Matt
Yes, it (Kittys) was the 'Catholic Repository' with the old rorsary beads and prayer books. We used to get frozen Jubblies from Kittys, penny lolly ices and arrow bars. i used to get the spuds at Nellies and i remember taking the 'spud bag' from my mum and ordering a couple of pounds of King Edwards which they used to get from a wooden slat/board/shute type thing, with a scoop which looked like a coal scuttle.
At Murphys i remember Desi or Desmond and he worked the counter when i bought the Dandy and Beano, which i used to call the Biffo after the character on the front page but he always knew what i wanted.
Good to know that someone else remembers the old neighborhood too.
I like my childhood there, the people seemed to be very kind and always laughing.

Vince
matt wethered

Hi Vince,yes the people in that whole area of south park beatrice,benedict,miranda,wadham and bedford roads were some of the best .They could laugh with you but they could also share your sorrows.We had already been moved from the south park prefabs when my dad died in 1963 but kitty and des read the obituary in the echo and found out where we were living in ford and came to visit my mother.I have very fond memories of living in that area of Bootle it hurt so bad when they pulled down the prefabs and moved us all over the place what was worse for me was that I was in Singapore at the time and when I got back 18 months later all my friends I had Known and was brought up with had disappeared,then my dad died and my mother came to Canada and I went back to South East Asia for an other 18 months.I think that is why I like this site so much,I'm seeing people that knew each other way back linking up again it gives me a good feeling. Matt
Ken Higgins

My name is Ken Higgins and I lived in no 88 from birth 1942 to about 1950 Next door in 86 was Mrs Mcgonagle and in 90 was Mrs Jones. On the opposite side was the Crabbs at I think no 77
My mum Doris was not a well woman being a widow <dad died in1942> but I still remember the kindness and warmth given to her by our neighbors in Beatrice Street
I now live in Spain but on my visits to the area I still have a drive down the street stop at 88 and remember how we where able to play football in the street<no chance now>.
Just remembered that the Hodges lived further up the street on the even side
regards ken higgins
annie

henry i have a book called IMAGES OF BOOTLE it has lots of pictures in it would you like to borrow it or have you read it
annie

ken did you have a brother named jimmy who worked for a firm called cargill who was located inside seaforth dock
matt wethered

Welcome to this wonderfull and happy site Ken.I know the front parlour of 77 Beatrice Street very well cause I used to date Ann Crabbe.We went out for three years but I got a "Dear John" just after the destroyer I was on got to Singapore in 1960.Funny thing is she married a guy in the RAF and ended up in RAF Changi in Singapore when I joined submarines and I happened to bump into her at a Freddy and the Dreamers concert at the air base.Lots of British groups used to stop over in Singapore on their way to Oz in the early sixties.Dave was the eldest then came Ann and the baby was Les but I don't know if you would know him you may have moved when he was just born.I also knew the Hodges, did'nt their daughter Lillian have something wrong with one arm?I'm wondering did you know the Vogels-Harry and Billy?Once again Ken welcome to " all our yesterdays"(it's a television show on Canadian T.V.) Matt
liverpool49

Matt
I remembered the name of the grocery that was on the corner of Beatrice/Miranda and it was run by an older lady called Mrs Carradley (spelling). My mum used to send me over there for a pound of broken biscuits and a bottle of sterry.

Vince
matt wethered

Hi Vince,well now we have three people on the same time zone.My wife and I were having a little bit of a disagreement about Miranda road and I was telling her about the public bath house that was between Murphy's and bedford road and she is telling me it's a all in my head and no such place existed (what would she know she's from across the border in Kirkdale) You and Ken lived in the same area please confirm I'm right we have quite an interesting bet on it!!! Matt
liverpool49

Matt
Yes the public bath was there, i tell my wife about it but i'm sure she thinks that i have been drinking. My mum would take me and my sister over to it before my grandad had a bath put into our house. The lady there used to run some amount of hot into the bath and then you could put your own cold in.
When i went to school we would read Dickens and i though they were stories about the time WE were in, haaaaa

Vince
red ron

Hiya young Matthew, yes I can also vouch for the public bath house you mention. Had my dinner in the boiler house many a time if the weather was bad when we were flagging etc. in the area. I worked on Bootle corpy highways dept. Red Ron.
matt wethered

I can't believe it ,I have been right about something twice in one year!!My wife will never live this one down I can't wait for her to get back from Bromborough to collect on my bet or better still I think I may just phone her it's only 9.30p.m and with the way the the phone rates are now it only costs 7 cents a minute to U.K. it costs more to call my aunt 14 miles away than to call Europe Matt
Dan

Floor plan of a house for let in Beatrice Street.

Basic two-up two-down, like thousands of houses built in Bootle in the early 20th century..