Stanley Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
peter c

Sonoma said - "Anybody remember the Bazaar shop on Stanley Rd near Bedford Rd ? It used to sell all kinds of unusual stuff. First time I ever heard of peanut butter was seeing it there - early 1950s when certain foods were still rationed".

I don't remember the Bazaar shop but I worked at the butcher shot near Bedford Road in the early 50's. Don't know how it was spelled but the name was Braithwait's.. Owner was "Bunny" Braithwait. I was a kid working after school and on weekends at that time from 1955 to 1957. I remember delivering meats to the docker cafes on dock road. Good times. Now i live in Canada - came her in '57.

Cheers. Peter
Forshaw

Yes it’s all changed . I’ve just had my first holiday back there after 50 years . Long way from Australia . But the sun shone . I enjoyed the Strand . Some lovely shop keepers . The Scouse sense of humour is alive and well . Where else in the world would a seventy five year old be told . “You’re gonna stop traffic you are luv.” Made my day . Bootle people are great .
Forshaw

Thanks for posting Bob . Gonna really enjoy looking through the names of the old shops . Bring back some great memories
peter c

I do remember that corner of Stanley Road. I worked at the butcher shop that I think was next to Tylers (or the one beside that) in 1955 -1957.
Butcher's name was Braithwaite (pardon the spelling). My Gran lived at 26 Wadham Rd. I lived on Park Street. Long time ago but I think I remember?
Mack
Site Admin

Trevelyn Kinrade wrote:The photo below pictures the Stanley Road/Bedford Road junction. It was taken in 1962 - the same year that The Beatles' made an historic first visit to EMI Studios in Abbey Road to record - Besame Mucho, Love Me Do, PS I Love You and Ask Me Why.
The the rest 'as the say' - is history!
You may well remember the songs and may very well remember this corner of Stanley Road.

Stanley Road/Bedford Road junction. Photo taken in 1962.
Bonesy

scotty

Matt wrote:Certainly the Dandy Nicolas. Beryl the Peril and Desperate Dan were the greatest. Dandy and the Beano have gone all "politically correct"
within the last 15 years.Poor Dan cannot say "Pesky Injuns" anymore they have to be referred to as "annoying Indigenous N.American people"
Know what you mean about the Eagle. Dan Dare would not have stood a chance against Desperate Dan as long as there was a Cow Pie(with the horns)
for the winner of a punch up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt
Hi Matt, I worked for an oil company in Canada, where ten percent of the workforce were first nation.It was instant dismissal for anyone, who used the term "Indian"
All gave some
Some gave all
Dan

Opening of Stanley Gardens

Undated. Stanley Road Post Office.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Picture posted by Kathleen on the old pic poster X thread,

1966 Stanley Road.

And from bobhamo's post from 6 years ago, it's part of the block between Wadham and Bedford Roads.

The MANWEB service shop (Liverpool North District sub-area 1) is no. 50 and the Globe 52.

1962 Stanley Road.

1962 Stanley Road, the other side.