Stanley Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Trevelyn Kinrade

I am keen to hear if members consider recognising the 150+ years of Stanley Road's history would be a good way to support and promote the shops and other small business currently functioning of the road from its junction with Linacre Road up to Orlando Street. Much is made of what is termed the High-Street in city centres but not so much fuss about shopping road's. Stanley Road is not alone - it's just one of many shopping road's that have seen a massive decline in quantity and quality of retail outlets. Perhaps some form of small businesses week could be organised with flags and bunting to draw attention to the event. An old photo exhibition could be staged in the Strand Shopping Centre, which is itself somewhat of a shadow of its former times. Trev Kinrade
BossHogg

It's been a long time since I shopped on Stanley Road, I moved from Wadham Road in 1982 aged 15 and never went back.
Bootlelass-expat

WOW

What memories this post brings to my mind. Going way back to late 1940’s.

Haven’t been on Stanley Road since 1999 when I went to a florists (Ford’s I think the name was) to order flowers for my Mothers Funeral.

Good luck with your project.

Doreen
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Fond memories of Stanley Road, I was born in Exeter Road 1946 and left around 1970. Missed the chat with the shopkeepers most of them who knew me from a very early age! Best of luck Trev.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

I was at Balliol Road Sec. up till 1949 before going on to Bootle Tech.

I often jokingly tell folk I was educated at Balliol, it being an Oxford College.

An answer on a TV quiz tonight related to Oxford Colleges and itis the very first time I realised that Merton is also an Oxford College.

I was brought up in Bianca Street and always knew the area as Shakespearean with the pub of that name being at the centre of all the Shakespeare named streets.

Were the names of Balliol and Merton actually derived from colleges at Oxford?
BossHogg

I watched The Chase too! ;)
fatboyjoe90

Here you go Ernie, you should've known all these Roads and Streets. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
Mack
Site Admin

Great to see you signed up Trev after sending the email :D

Our Bootle Bucks are awesome here on our site :wink:

Mack :)
filsgreen

Welcome to the forum, Trevelyn. Its great that the local shops are fighting back against the big supermarkets, but they're on a hiding to nothing. We all need them, but "convenience" stores are all they'll ever be now. Or, in the case of Linacre Road, drug money laundering outlets. The amount of fast food shops and tanning/nails salons, far exceeds the demographics of the area. The local shop is similar to the local pub, look how many of them have closed down due to cheap alcohol being available in supermarkets. However, it's great that we still have the likes of the Hyper Bar and more recently, Morrells.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Thanks Joe

Of course I did, and do, know all these streets. I also know that I learn something every day, every day, but as a kid they were just names and I never related to origin of the names. Probably never even knew about our famous Universities or even had the time to care.

Thanks for the map. it has all become very clear. How posh we are.

Now I can say I was educated at Balliol, the hub of many other University Colleges, although none of them come near to the University of Life and travel.

Thanks again for the map. It tells all.
Trevelyn Kinrade

My thanks to all who have expressed a thought about recognising the history of Stanley as by way of appreciating the road's value as a retail thoroughfare for many years.
Along with remembering streets off Stanley Road it's more than likely members of this forum will remember a shop, its name and members of staff.
For the younger generations who now live in the Stanley Road area or travel by bus or car on route to or from Liverpool it would come a big surprise to read of the quantity and quality of shops that once traded on the road. I was talking to a lady who worked for Gaffney's (Butchers). Even better to see photos of those shops.
I am sure that there will be lots of standard type old photographs. There are a number of history websites that feature Stanley Road photos in their archives. There will however be lots of photographs taken by former and or current residents of the Stanley Road, which will bring back memories of times when it was possible to buy almost anything on the road.
I have suggested a small business week event with photo exhibition to Sefton Council - should they show any interest - this forum would be the ideal way to encourage further consideration by Sefton Council. Trev Kinrade
Invicta

Further back on Strand Road, my late Father in Law managed Moss “ Gentlemen’s Outfitters”
Main business was from sailors who would come in and buy 6 of everything, shirts, underwear, pairs of socks. He also did a roaring trade in gloves and scarves during the Winter when seamen from warmer climes came on frozen. :D Ken
BOBHAMO

the demise of local shops is all over liverpool
an upsurge of nail and tanning shops on most of the blocks where i live
think they might not be any barbers left in turkey :lol: :lol: :lol:
most corner shops sell costly products usualy bulk buy from aldi :lol: :lol:
sorry to say but its easy just to go the supermarket , parking , cup of coffie
dont think us oldies :lol: :lol: could trek shop to shop like in the 60s
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
fatboyjoe90

Invicta wrote:Further back on Strand Road, my late Father in Law managed Moss “ Gentlemen’s Outfitters”
Main business was from sailors who would come in and buy 6 of everything, shirts, underwear, pairs of socks. He also did a roaring trade in gloves and scarves during the Winter when seamen from warmer climes came on frozen. :D Ken

Ken, i think you've flogged this post about 5 or 6 times, i replied to the first one, has anyone else replied to the others, someone must have known Sid on this site.:?: :D
Cheers Joe.
Sonoma

Anybody remember the Bazaar shop on Stanley Rd near Bedford Rd ? It used to sell all kinds of unusual stuff. First time I ever heard of peanut butter was seeing it there - early 1950s when certain foods were still rationed
Matt

Yes Sonama the Bazaar sold the best "donkey lassy for your catty and the best ollies" in Bootle :lol: :lol: :lol: Loved the place
So much weird stuff if you knew where to find it!!
Matt
Trevelyn Kinrade

Looking North on Stanley Road from Wadham Road - Back then - and now.
Don't it always go to show that you don't know what you've lost until it's gone.

Trevelyn Kinrade

The image below was scanned from Champion Newspaper of Wed 20th June 2018.
It shows my letter regarding the stretch of Stanley Road from Orlando Street to Exeter Road.

The image below pictures property on Stanley Road between Wadham Road and Bedford Road.
Do you remember what originally stood here?
Do you have any suggestions as to what the 3 new retail units (currently unoccupied) could be used for?
Would a quality Butchers/Fish Monger shop and a quality Fruit/Vegatable shop be a good idea?
Bonesy

BOBHAMO

Just look on the street directory
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Trevelyn Kinrade

The image pictured above shows housing accommodation situated between Bianca Street and Viola Street.

The image pictured below shows the former Swifts Pub on the corner of Viola Street.
Community Spirit was a feature of local pubs and local communities often benefited from events and activities organised by pub regulars.
Did you or members of your family ever frequent Swifts?

filsgreen

They only close down when the community no longer uses them. We all lament the Corrie or the Kingie's closing, but the fact was not enough people wanted to use them. Likewise the parade of shops on Hawthorne Road opposite the Parkside club. You had the equivalent of Asda/Tescos on that block but they still got knocked down.

We're all responsible for the decline of the local shop, but then you could also lay the blame at the feet of the Four big supermarkets and online shops like Amazon. Also, let's not forget, local shops weren't/aren't open 24/7, and they can't compete on price.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

My aunty used to work in Swifts.

I used to love going in the Bazaar!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Trevelyn Kinrade

The photo below pictures the Stanley Road/Bedford Road junction. It was taken in 1962 - the same year that The Beatles' made an historic first visit to EMI Studios in Abbey Road to record - Besame Mucho, Love Me Do, PS I Love You and Ask Me Why.
The the rest 'as the say' - is history!
You may well remember the songs and may very well remember this corner of Stanley Road.

BossHogg

Sonoma wrote:Anybody remember the Bazaar shop on Stanley Rd near Bedford Rd ? It used to sell all kinds of unusual stuff. First time I ever heard of peanut butter was seeing it there - early 1950s when certain foods were still rationed
I remember it very well. Didn't it become a small supermarket?
BossHogg

Trevelyn Kinrade wrote:Image

The image pictured above shows housing accommodation situated between Bianca Street and Viola Street.

The image pictured below shows the former Swifts Pub on the corner of Viola Street.
Community Spirit was a feature of local pubs and local communities often benefited from events and activities organised by pub regulars.
Did you or members of your family ever frequent Swifts?

My mum and dad drank in Swifts.
Walsh

As a kid (and in my 60s, now), I was proud to be brought up in Bootle.
I often went to Balliol Baths (swimming and life saving tests) and passed my cycling proficiency test after riding around the roads by the baths, overseen by enthusiastic, but helpful policemen. Both the baths and the police station should be special, heritage buildings.
Once I had passed yet another test, the 11-plus, our class, sadly, became separated and I headed off to Bootle Grammar School for Boys, which had recently moved to Netherton. On a nervous first day, it was explained to us that all boys belonged to one of four teams with coloured football shirts, Balliol (red strip ), Oriel (yellow), Pembroke (green) and Trinity (blue) - as these roads bordered the original school location.
In later years, I graduated as a scientist and engineer then examined at Oxford Uni. There, I was pleased to explain to colleagues there that my school sports teams were named after heritage Bootle roads - of course, they always corrected me that these names originated from Oxford Colleges - but I knew better, due to a privileged upbringing near the UK's most important docks and the University of the Backstreets!
henry

Chris crummy AKA Chris Curtis the drummer out of the Searchers also worked in Swifts
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Sorry that Swifts was a furmitute shop on the corner of Strand Rd and Stanley Rd and not the pub
henry

Walsh wrote:As a kid (and in my 60s, now), I was proud to be brought up in Bootle.
I often went to Balliol Baths (swimming and life saving tests) and passed my cycling proficiency test after riding around the roads by the baths, overseen by enthusiastic, but helpful policemen. Both the baths and the police station should be special, heritage buildings.
Once I had passed yet another test, the 11-plus, our class, sadly, became separated and I headed off to Bootle Grammar School for Boys, which had recently moved to Netherton. On a nervous first day, it was explained to us that all boys belonged to one of four teams with coloured football shirts, Balliol (red strip ), Oriel (yellow), Pembroke (green) and Trinity (blue) - as these roads bordered the original school location.
In later years, I graduated as a scientist and engineer then examined at Oxford Uni. There, I was pleased to explain to colleagues there that my school sports teams were named after heritage Bootle roads - of course, they always corrected me that these names originated from Oxford Colleges - but I knew better, due to a privileged upbringing near the UK's most important docks and the University of the Backstreets!
The colours and teams were the same in St.Winnies
Maureeng

Love this post, brings back happy memories. I lived on Balliol Road and was often sent to the shops by my mum, remember going to the co-op, the newsagent at the top of Exeter Road for my dads paper, walking round the Bazaar with my pocket money wondering what to spend it on, I also remember taking my shoes to the cobblers which I think was on the corner of Wadham Road, there was also a cake shop but I can't remember the name of it, when I married Peter I went to live at the other end of Stanley Road opposite the New Strand, I remember Rays china shop and the lovely glass and china that was sold there. :) :) Good luck with your project Trev. :)
Matt

Next road up Maureen.The shoe repair was on the corner of Bedford Road. Where I bought my first record
Diana by Paul Anka 78rmp :) was the electric shop on the corner of Wadham Road
So you used to spend your pocket money in the Bazaar as well? :lol:
I used to get a whole tanner a week but I must admit when I went to Murphy's on Miranda Road for my dad's 10 Senior Service ciggies( 1/10)
I was allowed to keep the 2d change out of 2 bob to buy either the Dandy or the Beano .
Matt
nicolas

I was allowed to keep the 2d change out of 2 bob to buy either the Dandy or the Beano .
Matt[/quote]

Which one was the best, Matt? I remember them both getting delivered by the Paperboy, so exciting,
then one day (1950) the Eagle comic came out, and I swapped, boy was I disapointed!
Matt

Certainly the Dandy Nicolas. Beryl the Peril and Desperate Dan were the greatest. Dandy and the Beano have gone all "politically correct"
within the last 15 years.Poor Dan cannot say "Pesky Injuns" anymore they have to be referred to as "annoying Indigenous N.American people"
Know what you mean about the Eagle. Dan Dare would not have stood a chance against Desperate Dan as long as there was a Cow Pie(with the horns)
for the winner of a punch up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt
Maureeng

[quote="Matt"]Next road up Maureen.The shoe repair was on the corner of Bedford Road. Where I bought my first record
Diana by Paul Anka 78rmp :) was the electric shop on the corner of Wadham Road
So you used to spend your pocket money in the Bazaar as well? :lol:
I used to get a whole tanner a week but I must admit when I went to Murphy's on Miranda Road for my dad's 10 Senior Service ciggies( 1/10)
Matt[/quote]
Thank's Matt, knew it was there somewhere. :)