Bootle boy takes the big apple by storm

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
scotty

Here is an interesting video that I came across on you tube, about a boy from bootle who did good.It is rather long, about twelve mins.Very worthwhile watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd1R72zSE_U
All gave some
Some gave all
Invicta

Thanks Scotty. His Wiki is interesting.
I have a vague memory of a Hinton family that emigrated to Oz from our early days in Ford, I’ll check with my Sister.
Cheers Ken
scotty

Thanks Ken, it would be interesting to know exactly where he lived.
All gave some
Some gave all
Bonesy

Ken, there was a Hilton family that lived on Musker Drive.

Keith
Invicta

Morning All,
My Hilton, not Hinton , was Robbie who lived in Almond Avenue. There were Three other kids, Susan and a younger boy and girl. So a bit confused there, sorry. :oops: Ken
Bonesy

I knew John Hilton a tall stocky lad, joined the police. He would be the same age as me.

Keith
Invicta

I think John was Robbie’s brother Keith. They lived in Almond about 5 doors away from Musker, next to the Warrener family.
Obviously not our Murdoch man, alas. :D Ken

Tall they were, Rob was at least 6’3” :wink:
Bri

Margie, the youngest girl was in my class, their mum was the lollipop lady at Sterrix school. Other neighbours of theirs were the Tellets, the Rutherfords and the Moons.
Bonesy

I
Last edited by Bonesy on Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonesy

Bonesy wrote:
Invicta wrote:I think John was Robbie’s brother Keith. They lived in Almond about 5 doors away from Musker, next to the Warrener family.
Obviously not our Murdoch man, alas. :D Ken

Tall they were, Rob was at least 6’3” :wink:
Oh the mists of time, could have sworn it was Musker :D
Jeanie Warrener she was a beauty :oops:
I

Keith
Bonesy

Bri wrote:Margie, the youngest girl was in my class, their mum was the lollipop lady at Sterrix school. Other neighbours of theirs were the Tellets, the Rutherfords and the Moons.
Bri, I was a mate of Billy Moon. Didn't he die at a young age
Bri

Oh! Not sure about that Keith, knocked around with Billy Moon myself as kids with Kev Spencer, as I said the Tellets lived along that little block of houses and Andy Tellet died tragically, think he got knocked down waiting at a bus stop on Stanley Road.
Invicta

Tellets, Bri, where they on the corner of St Margarets Grove and Almond Ave?
I remember Mrs Moon and Wozza’s Sister but she was a kid then. :D Ken
Bonesy

Not seen this photo of Sterrix Lane school before it was posted on fb today

Keith
Invicta

Fields of dreams, Cus. :lol: K
Bri

That's right Ken, Andy would have been about 60 now, think he had a couple of older brothers. Great pic of the old school site Keith, not seen that. When you think there were 2 schools in that area. Can still smell the coffee coming from Mrs. Jones office!
Invicta

Never really knew that family Bri. They were good streets around there, lots of kids and a good community, safe area in those days. Ken
Invicta

We got off thread here. LES HINTON, anyone know him before he was famous? Bootle boy now mid seventies .

I actually met Murdoch and indeed Robert Maxwell, both were huge buyers of our Finnish newsprint papers.
Murdoch never said a word to any of us on a table hosted by our Chairman at a trade dinner. Maxwell was different, he held the room and was life and soul of any gathering. Once at a reception at the Finnish Embassy he brought his daughter, Ghislaine, along , said to me “ You, look after her! “ she was great company but Maxwell held court for an hour longer than he should and she got ratty with him :lol: Ken
Bonesy

Listened to Les Hinton being interviewed by Roger Phillips on Radio Merseyside today, very interesting man a proper rags to riches story.
You could listen to it on Merseysides Listen Again feature. It was on between 12.05 pm & 12.20

Keith
Allen Jones

I listened to an interview with Len Hinton on Radio New Zealand yesterday(Monday 9th). He has written a book called,I think, Bootle Bucks. He left school at 15,no qualifications, and moved to Australia shortly after. Started in jounalism and never looked back. Became Rupert Murdochs hatchet man. Became a US citizen. Must read his book. He certainly was very successful in his professional life. Allen.
Bonesy

Allen, Les Hinton, The Bootle Boy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bootle-Boy-unt ... les+hinton

Keith
Allen Jones

Cheers Keith. Its on my must read list. Allen.
J.F.G

Hello

I have just finished reading the book by Les Hinton " The Bootle Boy " An untidy life in news, he gives his place and date of birth as Malcolm Street, Saturday 19th February 1944, and his Grandmother, Edith Emily Bruce, living a few doors down on the corner of Malcolm street at 149 St Johns Road.

Malcolm street does not appear to exist anymore, It is described in the book as a cul de sac with St Johns Road on the opposite end.

The book itself was an extremely good read, it gives a good insight into the people he mixed with during his time in the news paper industry.

John
BOBHAMO

Malcolm street was inbetween Duncan and hamlet street
just past bedford place
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
nicolas

BOBHAMO wrote:Malcolm street was inbetween Duncan and hamlet street
just past bedford place
bobhamo
Image[url=https://postimages.or
lily8

I was about to ask if anyone had read the book! and have just read the posts it's on my book list now thanks.
Lily
Sonoma

JFG

Malcolm Street was indeed a cul-de-sac and the dead end was the Liverpool Southport railway. St. John's Rd crossed the T at the other end
There were a number of such streets all about the same length coming off SJR and several with Shakespearean names
bob. b

Interesting will be ordering that book this week.
Bob

I have just posted about the Bootle Boy Les Hinton the family did go to Australia, to the State of South Australia, his book is really well worth reading, my daughter bought it for me it's called "The Bootle Boy" where he lived is no longer there. Anyway it's a great readCheers
bob. b

Thanks, Bob and welcome to the forum.