Derby Park Lake - Child Drowning in the Past

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Derby Park Lake - Child Drowning in the Past

Postby ALAMO2008 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:05 pm

My Auntie Barbara clears up Derby Park and has just asked this Question on Facebook.

Can anyone help ?

" Barbara Rouse I run the Friends of Derby Park, and am surprised to learn that a child drowned there, ??what confirmation is there of this, I have a file from years ago, but no mention of this ? "
ALAMO2008

Re: Derby Park Lake - Child Drowning in the Past

Postby WatsonTommy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:54 pm

a child drowned 7 8 years old lad the boating lake so they drained and filled it in there were rowing boats on it the bridges are still visible
WatsonTommy

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 am

I'm sorry Al, i have tried to find any info on the child drowning in the park, but nothing is coming up for it. :(
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby ALAMO2008 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 am

February 1945 :-

ALAMO2008

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Hi Alamo,the draining of the boating lake had nothing to do with that little lad getting drowned.As you found out the drowning occurred
in 1945 and the lake was drained sometime in the 1950's.I remember fishing for sticklebacks in that lake when my big cousin Anne Smith
from Park Street used to meet me from Christ Church School and take me there until I went to Bootle Grammar in 1952-3.
Matt
Matt

Postby bernie johno » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:54 am

great research Alamo also like the story of the shoe robber :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
bernie johno

Postby ken » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm with Matt on when the lake was drained. It has to be after 1954 I think. My best mate who was(Ithnk?) in the 4th form at Bootle Grammar was a bit of a daredevil and he swarmed down from the bridge to the island in the centre and unhitched the sort of raft that was always tethered to it. He got in and paddled around until Slyeye spotted him and yelled. Luckily Colin was near the edge of the lake so he just jumped onto the bank and legged it - we were just laughing. I was told that when they did drain it there were quite a lot of biggish fish in it flopping around when it was finally nearly emplty.
We did the same as Matt - digging out little red worms, tying them onto cotton thread then catching redbellies. We also used the park to play ollies there - there was always a game on at least in my recollections anyway - rings usually was being played.

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
ken

Postby WatsonTommy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:59 pm

well I was only about 10 0r 11 know all's :roll: just trying to help Barbara you must be getting on a bit as I'm 76 :roll: :roll:
WatsonTommy

Postby Forshaw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:56 am

I’d have to agree on the lake being drained about 1953 or 54 . Tessie Le Serf and I had great fun playing in the mud as it was getting emptied . I suppose we’d be about 10 or 11. The mud was like quick sand and she lost one of her wellies in it . We just managed to pull it out before it disappeared altogether . Her Mam would have flattened her if we’d gone home without it .
Forshaw

Postby WatsonTommy » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm

you mean wellied her
WatsonTommy

Postby Forshaw » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 am

Ha ha ha . Nice one Tommy .
Forshaw

Postby Forshaw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 am

What a blessing they drained it . Never knew of the tragedy. As kids we thought it was all fun .Especially for bonfire night. The big lads used to cross to the island to steal the trees to burn them. The girls had to keep a look out for the Parky. I was too young to understand the danger. Very sad for the family back then.
Forshaw

Postby filsgreen » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:26 am

Why is it a blessing that it was drained? One less beautiful feature to deny the people of Bootle. I never had the pleasure of it. If you're worried about kids drowning, why don't we drain the lake in Newsham Park, the 126 miles of canal that snakes through the industrial heartland of the North West, or the Serpentine lake in London's Hyde Park?

Typical attitude to risk in the 21 century, God forbid people have to take responsibility for themselves. Kids drown or get electrocuted on the railway, yes it's sad but it's part of life and teaches them to respect danger. Fact is, you can try to eliminate risk by draining all the lakes, but they could still get run over by a bus.
filsgreen

Postby Forshaw » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:00 am

Who remembers playing on the Black Hills ? . And dancing in the summer round the Band Stand on Evenings waltzing to the Salvation Army Band . Dancing the St Bernard’s Waltz and the Valetta . Also Ye Olde English Fayre . I’m not really qualified to talk on the reasons for the lake draining . From what I remember people said it stunk something shocking . My Dad was a parky in the early sixties . I know he skated on it when he was a young boy . Sorry if I offended anyone’s feelings I should have asked my Dad more questions but he died in 62 . It was fenced I remember .
Forshaw

Postby everliver » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:43 am

Almo great bit of detective work well done and thanks
everliver

Postby jeand » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 pm

How sad - I grew up by Mrs Pickering but never knew about her son drowning. I don't remember the lake although my mother told me that she fell in it when she was young. I do remember playing in the Black Hills though and dancing around the band stand. My friend and I won a prize for waltzing (or trying to!) - we must have only been about 9 or 10. My own daughters have lovely memories too of their childhoods playing in the park and often reminisce about it.
Bootle born and bred, ex Bootle Grammar School and Bootle Tech. Still living in Bootle.
jeand

Postby Shelagh » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Picture of Derby Park boating lake, taken from “Bootle Through Time”
Contests; model yachts would race in inter-club matches with enthusiasts from other parks around the North West!
There used to be two islands in the lake, one made accessible by bridges, as in the foreground of the picture!

Lovely childhood memories of playing on the black hills of Derby Park..would return home looking like chimney sweeps :)

Shelagh

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:35 am

1903 The Derby Park Lake

1933 Skating on Derby Park Lake, from Sefton Council Library site.

Regards

Dan
Dan

Return to Talk about the History of Bootle here