St Joan of Arc School, Shipbuilders Half Hull Model

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Mike R

Hi,
following a visit to the Sudley House Art gallery in the Mossley Hill area, I was reminded of the shipbuilders half hull model that was at St Joan's Secondary school.

There was one of them in the senior school and it was in the "Medical Room", I remember it clearly, although I can't remember what the name of the ship was, (It was over 50 years ago!).

These models were made for prospective shipping magnates, so they could see what they would be getting before they stumped up their cash.

To keep costs down, only half of the model from stem to stern was made. Then it was mounted on a mirror and placed in a glass case. This gives the illusion from the side, of the full vessel.

What I'd like to know is, does anyone out there remember it, if so, do you know where it came from, or what the name of the ship was. Does anyone know what happened to it?

If you went to St Joan's in the 50s and 60s you will have certainly been in the medical room, at sometime or other and perhaps you remember it too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Rgds

Mike R
Born in Oxford St Maternity.
Lived in Southey St for 5 years then moved to Bulwer St till 1981!
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
bjones

Mike, I wasn't aware that St Joans also had a half ship.
We had one at Gray Street school, it stood in it's class case on the first floor landing. I remember asking on Friends Reunited site if anyone knew what had happened to it. The answer I had was that when that school moved to the new building it was sent to Bedford Rd school. That school has now also been replaced with a new building so I don't know if they took the Gray St. ship with them.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Mike R

Cheers Bee,

That's interesting 'cos I suspect that the one from St Joan's probably went into to storage somewhere. Possibly in the museum storage at the Town Hall that's been discussed many times on this forum

It sounds to me like the models might have been donated to schools, when the ship owners or their companies either closed down or amalgamated or moved.

If anyone else from other schools in the borough could confirm any other similar modes in their schools, then that would certainly point in that direction!

Thanks for your response.

Rgds

Mike R
Born in Oxford St Maternity.
Lived in Southey St for 5 years then moved to Bulwer St till 1981!
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
IanA

There was certainly a magnificent one on a staircase landing at Gray Street School.
tommyMc

Hi I certainly remember that ship in the medical room at St Joan Of Arc although I don't know its name or origin but I think many were donated to schools during the 1950's there where also many in the old Bootle museum but as to the whereabouts its anyone guess . If you went to St Joan's school you will find the St Joan of Arc Parish face book page interesting.