New Year foghorns

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bernie R

Came across this on a Facebook page and though BBs may enjoy it.

Certainly brings back memories of busier times for the Bootle and north Liverpool docks.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/V8h4k46VL_0?rel=0
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
lynne99

I remember the fog horns. Not 73, I'd left by then, but in the 50s and 60s . When I moved to Birmingham , I couldn't understand why they didn't do it. Silly me. Thanks for putting it on.
fatboyjoe90

I don’t remember hearing them this year. there were loads of fireworks going off though. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
Matt

Wonderful Bernie it certainly does bring back very happy memories of my lovely granny Wethered and "first footing"
at 66 Merton Road waiting for the fog horns to sound before all the men(and little lads..ME) would sing the Miners Dream of Home
then Auld Lang Syne and bring in the New Year.Getting quite emotional now.Thanks.

I saw the old 'omstead and faces I knew
I saw England's valleys and dales
And I listened with joy as I did when a boy
To the sound of the old village bells.

The log was burning brightly
Was a night that would banish all sin
The bells were ringing the old year out
And the new year in.

Matt
ALAMO2008

Love the Video recording.

A moment in History captured on Tape.

Brilliant !

I had just got engaged to Miss Giro where I worked.

Was at her House in Walton area when this happened.
filsgreen

That was great, Bernie, just as important as the TV program last night. So many events that have passed in our lifetime, that we never recorded. Kudos to the lad that taped the ships, wonder where he is now. People of today are so lucky, having the ability to capture moments with their mobile phones.
Bonesy

Phil it was recorded by Ed Connely a Litherland lad and still around, Eds video on YouTube, dad puts a bet on is a great local video.

Keith
Invicta

ALAMO2008 wrote:Love the Video recording.

A moment in History captured on Tape.

Brilliant !

I had just got engaged to Miss Giro where I worked.

Was at her House in Walton area when this happened.
My Wife was one of the first employed there Al but by that time our first born was 6 months so She never went back. :D K
filsgreen

Cheers, Keith; I thought he may have had a hand in it. :D So grateful he took the time and effort to make social history.
Joycen60

That really brought back some lovely memories. Each New Years Eve we used to walk to the Black Bull in Walton Vale where there was always a large crowd. The great atmosphere was added to by the sound of Ships horns. I was only recounting this to a friend the other day.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Invicta

fatboyjoe90 wrote:I don’t remember hearing them this year. there were loads of fireworks going off though. :wink: :)
According to AIS history there was very little in the docks for NY Eve, Joe, not like the old days. :wink: Ken
Elaine Goulding

Like Matt, I got a little choked listening to the horns on the Mersey boats bringing in the New Year. My lovely Dad would always send everyone outside to sing Auld Langs Syne and then someone entered the house with a lump of coal that was kept on hand just for this purpose. Thanks ever so much Bernie.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
graham01

1973.my first new year in germany...how i missedthat soumd...graham...
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
Allen Jones

The ships foghorns were always a feature of New Years Eve. Bang on midnight they would blast off, some for a short while others for longer. The thing is the horns were supposed to be sounded by the youngest crewman on board. I had that pleasure on one ship I sailed on and never forgot the thrill of hauling down on the lanyard to blast off into the new Year. Allen.
fatboyjoe90

Invicta wrote:
fatboyjoe90 wrote:I don’t remember hearing them this year. there were loads of fireworks going off though. :wink: :)
According to AIS history there was very little in the docks for NY Eve, Joe, not like the old days. :wink: Ken

Just spotted this Ken, thanks for that I now know why it was so quiet. :wink:
Cheers Joe.