Homestead Ave Dooley Drive Estate

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
John L

anyone know when this estate was built
Many thanks
John L
Bootlelass-expat

Hello John.

I am pretty sure it was started in late 40’s. My family got keys to house in Dooley end February 1952. Plaster still wet.

There were houses still being built.The road surface had not been paved, and no pavements when we moved in beginning of March.

Much of the estate had been built and houses occupied by the time we moved in.

I do remember street party for Coronation in June 1953 and Dooley seem completely occupied by then.

Hope this helps.

Doreen.
Bootlelass-expat

John L.

I have just remembered there is a photograph on this site, posted by Rivermersey (I think), that shows Dunningsbridge Rd and the Copy Lane junction/island about the time the estate was started.

Hope you can find it.

Sorry I don’t know how to.

There is also a facebook page “Memories of Copy Lane Estate”.

Doreen
Invicta

I went to school WB with lads from up that way, Billy Bjelland I remember. :wink: Ken
Bootlelass-expat

Ken, Sadly Billy Bjelland has died. So did his brother John. Only Leslie left out of the 3 brothers.
Invicta

I think I had heard that, regrettably. Was Les the jockey? K
I remember his Dad singing Yiddisha Momma at the OR Legion, had them in tears. :D Ken
fatboyjoe90

John Bjelland used work on the black stuff, and drank in the Salt Box.
Cheers Joe.
Bootlelass-expat

Ken

Yes, Les was a jockey.

Sorry it took me so long to find out. I was older than them and left for the USA in 1978,

Got to speak to a friend/old neighbour who confirmed Les was a jockey. Then spoke to one of my brothers and low and behold, found out he meets Les now and then for a drink.

Mr & Mrs Bjelland were lovely.

Doreen
Invicta

Doreen,
If I recall correctly, Les travelled in the horse box with a National winner, Highland Wedding I believe.
We all had a few bob on it :D Ken
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I vaguely remember a somebody who my cousins knew called Derek Reilly who lived in Dooley Drive (I think!) Ricky knew him too, does anybody remember him?

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Joycen60

Spent many a Friday night in the early 60's hanging round the little playground on that estate with Linda Truesdale and Linda Helm. Linda T lived in Marl Road and Linda H in Dooley Drive (I think). Happy Days.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Bootlelass-expat

Loretta

I have been waiting to see if anyone responded to you re Derek Reilly.

I went to Princess Royal with him - I am pretty sure he was in my class. Sorry, no other info. That was a long long time ago.

Doreen
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks Doreen, yes, it was a long long time ago!! :D there were a few of us that hung around together for awhile, Phillip Brennan was another lad we both knew, I have a vague memory of somebody on BT said he died fairly young I think.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

There were other lads from our class but think they may have been from across the road, the posh bit.
Andrew Grice, David Hunter, Colin Gerrard, Peter Donaldson ( he was very clever ) and Alan Harrison. :wink: Ken
Bootlelass-expat

Loretta

You are correct.

Christmas Eve 1963 - car accident killed Phillip Brennan, Roy Kelly and Peter Deary.

Extremely sad time for the families and neighbours. My uncle was best friends with Phillips dad. My mum and Roy’s mum were cousins.

Was amazed when my mum died (1999) members of the Kelly family came and commented on how they remembered how my mum welcomed them and made our Christmas dinner stretch to feed them and how kind she was to them. I had forgotten that, not the accident.

Caught up with the eldest Kelly (Jean) thru this site. She had gone to live in Canada. We visited one another/chatted on phone up until her death. Miss her but grateful for what we shared.

Doreen