Brewster Street

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Ken Knott

I attended Bedford Road Primary School from 1943 to 1950.My route to and from school went along Brewster Street.My brain has been teasing me recently trying to remember an art-deco office block with a square clock tower which I believe was part of a paint factory, possibly called Mintons.I wonder if any of your readers know anything about this buildind which has been demolished and been replaced by the Roxburgh House Care Home.
BOBHAMO

Hi Ken and welcome :D :D
the firm started 1930 and the buiding was the factory and head office
the last date i can find is 1970 in the directories
we all must have passed it but as usual we forget to take photos
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lynne99

As Bobhamo said , it was a very obvious, white (I think) building, The 56 bus used to pass it. Sorry no photos.
Ken Knott

Hi fellow Members
Thanks for the info about Mintons Paint Works. Has set my brain at rest thankfully. Maybe I will get some sleep now!!!!!!

Regards Ken Knott
sal

Hi Ken, I remember Mintons. The imposing set of two sided steps and a platform at top before entering the doors Do you remember building on opposite side of the rd corner of Bedford rd. The Danish Bacon company . In 1949 for 15 months i went to school in Scouts hall (now demolished) Roxburgh st due to St Francis de Sales junior dept having bomb damage. Happy memories of the Princess cinema they sold Pendletons ice cream small tubs with pink cherub on side. Oh the simple things we remember. Regards Sal
Ken Knott

Hi Sal
Yes I remember the DBC . The manager's son, Henry Hopkinson, was in my class at Bedford Road School. They lived in the first house of Roxburgh St so the Manager did not have far to go to work!

I do remember the Princess Cinema which I now see on Google Earth has been demolished. Lynne seems to think that Mintons office block was white but I thought it was brick. Can you remember?

Regards Ken Knott
lynne99

It was a long time ago, I do have a bad memory. Was it on the bend of the road? Did it change it's name to velspa or something like that.?
sal

Hi Ken, I remember it as a brick building very art deco and quite classy. On opposite side of the rd between the houses was what we as kids called (the birdcage footbridge ) over the rail line. It was VERY HIGH. I think it took you thru to Antonio st. Steam trains to Skelmersdale used it along with the electric ones to Ormskirk Do you recall it ? Sal
Ken Knott

Hi again Sal
Thanks for agreeing with my memory that Mintons offices were brick.I also do remember the scouts hall on Roxburgh St and the high level footbridge over the railway.I used to use it on my way home from school past a dairy which sold 1d dabs of peanut butter on little pieces of greaseproof paper..
Ken
sal

Ken, do you recall the Resovoire on Breeze hill. Now ground level and unused looks awful. Also over the border into Stuart rd LCWW corpi yard. Great adventure playground with its narrow and massive black pipes large enough to sit in on a wet day . All gone bungalows built there.now. Sal
Ken Knott

Sal
All our yesterdays!! Yes, spent a lot of time dodging the cocky watchman in the waterworks yard.Used to live over the border in Walton,having been evacuated from near the docks in Bootle. Not that much safer!!! The two streets next to ours had large parts of them destroyed by a land mine. Had to go to Grammar school in Liverpool rather than Bootlel so lost contact with all my primary school chums.Shame.

Ken
sal

Hi Ken, I too lived in Walton. The Bedford cinema was my local. The only male usher in cinema was a bully and quite intimidating. He turned out to be John Todd the young man who murdered the retired tailor and antique dealer at Warbreck Moor Aintree. Todd lived in Roxburgh st. You might recall the sad story. Sal
Bernie R

Sal
That high level railway footbridge didn't quite lead to Antonio Street.
It came out onto Cassio Street just opposite the end of Cambridge Road.
I remember, as a kid, wondering what 'unadopted' meant in reference to the sign in Cassio Street.

Bern
Last edited by Bernie R on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
dorothy834

https://goo.gl/images/VVc6mr.....
Happy Days princess Cinema.
Dorothy
dorothy834
Bill fawcett

Ken, did you live in Hahnemann Road? I remember the Knotts living about 3/4 of the way up on the left hand side,by what we called 'the new houses'. I lived in Margaret Rd and the land mine landed opposite our house, it demolished a very large block
of houses in Margaret Rd and Peter Rd where the school now stands. I can remember all of the lorries arriving with the prefab sections on and watching them being erected.

Bill
dorothy834

Mack...sorry for my picture of the Princess Cinema
didn't realise it contained half of Google
If you think it's unsuitable and taking a lot of space up
I'll delete it ..please let me know.
Dorothy
dorothy834
Ken Knott

Hi Bill

Yes I lived at No 57 Hahnemamm Road in the old terraced houses until 1961 when I then moved to the Manchester area with my job. How did you come to know the Knotts because I can't recall your name?

Ken
BOBHAMO

e
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
Bill fawcett

Hi Ken, though I lived in Margaret Road I used to play most of the time in Hahnemann Rd as my grandmother and my cousin
Billy Roberts lived in number10. My main mates were Kenny Godfrey & Alfie Godfrey, but there was also Roy Penlington, John Downey,John Wooley, Jimmy Sturgeon, Georgie Rigby, Paul Newton, Iris Hughes, Beryl Crook.
Our favourite football pitches were on 'the brickfields' (Southport Rd) and outside the fire station in Arnot St.

Bill
Ken Knott

Bill
Thanks for your reply.Yes all of the mates you mentioned were known to me.The Newtons lived next door and the Rigbies next to them and the Richmonds next to them followed by the Bidstons.
Ken
Ken Knott

BOBHAMO

Where has the list of residents of Hahnemann Rd gone? Seems to have disappeared

Ken