Park Street and St. Monica's

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
peter c

I am still hoping to hear from anyone who lived on Park Street in the late 40's and early 50's. I lived at #21 from 47 to 57. I'm sure there are still some lads left who remember.
Also I would love to hear from others who went to St. Monica's in the 50's.
Thanx.
Peter
ab

Hello, Peter, I lived just off Park St in the mid 50's, some names I remember from there are Wendy and Georgie Range, Kevin Davies, and John Lyons. I also attended St Monica,s at the same time, some teachers that I recall are, Mrs Redmond, Miss Hands, Mr Sanderson, Mr Hockenhull, Mr Doyle, Mr Lee
dannylewis

Iwent to the old fever hospital on Fernhill rd disgrace of a school with sadistic teachers and priests i still have nightmares about the place ,Bully teacher mr Barry is dead now but should be investigated ,
peter c

[quote="ab"]Hello, Peter, I lived just off Park St in the mid 50's, some names I remember from there are Wendy and Georgie Range, Kevin Davies, and John Lyons. I also attended St Monica,s at the same time, some teachers that I recall are, Mrs Redmond, Miss Hands, Mr Sanderson, Mr Hockenhull, Mr Doyle, Mr Lee[/quote]

The only name I remember is Kevin Davies. He had two brothers Brian and Ron. I lived directly across from them in the prefab number 21. A good pal of mine, Tom Smith, lived on Part Street too closer to Stanley Rd. It's been a long time but I still have good memories of that time. I thought St. Monica's was an ok school - didn't know any different. I had some good friends there.
peter c

[quote="dannylewis"]Iwent to the old fever hospital on Fernhill rd disgrace of a school with sadistic teachers and priests i still have nightmares about the place ,Bully teacher mr Barry is dead now but should be investigated ,[/quote]

Hi Danny. Yes it was a bit rough, especially in the winter. You are right, Mr. Barry would not be tolerated today. I was only there for about two years then I went to Tech. and I have been in Canada since 1957. I'm sure there have been big changes.
Cheers,

Peter
PeterR

I went to St Monica,s we were the first in after the hospital had cleared out, their were still lots of hospital gear lying about, any way the headmaster Mr O'donell decided we would start a vegie garden down past the boiler room along the wall--this was going well until we started digging up human bones-legs,arms ect -we put them all back and scrapped that idea ! :D
Born in Spenser Street
ab

Is this thread dead now ?
lynne99

From what I understand, threads don't die if someone wants to contribute to them. Give it a go.
ab

Thought I had!
ab

Agree with Danny about mr Barry but theyere e not all like him, my memories of st Monica's were somewhat happier mr lee was a decent teacher and mr downey
Pamsy

PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Pamsy

PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Pamsy

I have close to 900 schools, cataloging them.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/413960455475309/
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
peter c

[quote="Pamsy"]1951
[url=https://postimg.cc/image/oax1al8gx/][img]https://s8.postimg.cc/oax1al8gx/ST_MON2.jpg[/img][/url][/quote]
The photo looks like what I remember we looked like in 1951. All boys of course, they didn't mix us with the girls then. I do not recognize anyone but that could be my class, with me sitting in the front row.
Thank you for submitting the picture - I still have strong memories of my time at St. Monica's and love to see or hear anything about it.
1951 is a long time ago and I have been in Canada since 1957 but if you are from Bootle you don't forget!! Thank you.