Bootle Police Station and Police Officer James Swann

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Dawn1004

Hi all

Have come across your forum whilst searching for info on my Great Grandfather, James Swann who lived in Bootle.

He was a Police Officer at Bootle Station, I am searching for his start date and finishing date with the Police Force, I'm sure I will have answers shortly to those questions shortly, then hopefully I may be able to get some info from his police records - that would be amazing.

i know he was working as a Bootle Policeman in the 1911 census and the one prior to that.

He lived at 16 Bianca Street, Bootle in both of those Census with his wife Margaret B Swann (nee Hodge).

James was born in 1877 and died in 1959 in Clatterbridge (awaiting death cert), so I'm unsure if Clatterbridge is a Hospital or the suburb/town he was in at the time.

Enjoying all the history on this forum, I didn't know about the bombings in Bootle so that has been quite an eye opener and interesting to read. I have seen that Bianca street was hit in the Xmas Blitz, and photos I saw showed odd numbers 20-30. I would like to see how number 16 faired during this raid and subsequent raids/bombings.

If anyone has any info on James Swann, Margaret or the Bootle Police Station around 1911 - I would love to hear it.

I think I'll be in the forum here for some time tonight (I'm in Australia), reading all the amazing posts and getting a sense of my Great Grandparents lives during their time in Bootle.
BOBHAMO

Hi Dawn and welcome :D :D :D
no 16 is still there
i think its the one past the beige painted one
i will sort out police ones tomorrow
not sure if clatterbridge on the wirral was a cancer hospital in 1959
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dawn1004

Wow that is amazing, thank you so much.

I'll have to show my mum these.

Bootle history is so interesting.
BOBHAMO

Hi Dawn the police station is still there :D :D
i have some more
did james son John become a police man???
i have an address for John but not later for james
when james came to bootle he had an address in Berry street which is almost oppasite
to the police station
will dig up more photos

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dawn1004

Gosh - I'm not too sure about his occupation (yet). I have the 1911 Census and he was only 1 then.

He was born 1910 and died March 3rd, 1963 in Liverpool South.

His sister Margaret Swann was my grandmother she passed away in 1997 - in Mid Warwickshire.

I asked my mum and she knew of someone being a Policeman, which I took to be her grandfather James.

The Police Station still looks to be a grand building - thank you for the shared photos.
BOBHAMO

1938 Swanns in liverpool
Miss Margeret swann Hotspur street bootle
John Swann policeman corinthian ave old swan
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dawn1004

Thank you for this - what exactly is it? is a local directory of residents or electoral roll? I've not seen one of these in my research (of which I have only just started)

For Margaret, does the 17 represent the house number, and if so what does the 20 represent?
Margaret was born in 1911, so in 1938 she would be 27 years old and already married to Robert Shepherd.
john j connell

17 is the house number, 20 is the district, Bootle 20 Lancashire/Merseyside.
5 is Anfield,
14 Knotty Ash
3 Liverpool Central, each district had it's own code. JJC.
J.F.G

Hello

Clatterbridge hospital is a cancer hospital now, but was a general hospital with an Accident and emergency department into the 1980's, all the smaller hospitals on the Wirral were closed during the 80's and one large hospital Arrowe Park was built.

Regards
John
J.F.G

Hello Dawn 1004

Further to my previous post on Clatterbridge hospital, Liverpool City Police has a website, this covers Bootle and contains lots of old photographs of officers and Police stations from Liverpool / Bootle, hope this helps.

John
Dawn1004

Thank you both for the additional information. John J Connell and J.F.G

I have looked at the Liverpool Police photographs and unfortunately I could see none for James Swann, but I did manage to download some enrolment and discharge lists, and am going through these now to see if I can get his Police No and dates of starting and finishing.

Once again, this Forum amazes me with the lovely nature of members and the amount of information that is given.
Dawn :D