Seeking help re Livepool

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

Hi All, it has been a long time since I posted and there are so many topics now, I am unsure where to post my question.
I am on the committee of my local history society and one of our members told of one of her ancestors "Trooper Mary Ralphson" who followed her husband into war during the Jacobite uprising and she fought in the Battle of Culloden. After the defeat at Culloden and the death of her husband Mary went to Liverpool to live where she survived on charity. I believe she was 102 when she died.
My question is, would anyone know of the charities of that time and would anyone have heard of Trooper Mary in Liverpool.
Keeping fingers crossed :-)
Sheila, from Fernhill Road
Jan

Hello Sheila,

Long time no contact. Hope you are well.

I don't know about Mary Ralphson, other than what you have posted.

I would imagine that Mary might have been supported by a church (parish) charity, She died in 1808, I can only think that she could have gone to St Peter's or St Nicholas churches for help.

Sorry I can't help further.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
IanA

lily8

Hi you may find the following link helpful::::: An interesting woman and interesting she ended up in Liverpool where she was looked after by what seems to be genteel ladies she would likely have been well respected for her exploits. She was said to be at Fontenoy and that has links with Liverpool such as Fontenoy street.

Printed in 1809 a year after her death,
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=wV ... &q&f=false
Last edited by lily8 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lily
lily8

Hi again if you are in the area you may want to check out the Liverpool record office or your local library, I understand that they have one copy of a book that lists the headstones for the kirk at Oldham street:::::

http://capitadiscovery.co.uk/liverpool/ ... ry%3Dbrack
Lily