Chippie in Litherland

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I know it isn't Bootle but this chippie was just over the lift bridge and across from Allison's, it was owned by a man called Jack Pye and his wife, they not only sold fish and chips but fresh fish and chickens etc, I worked there for a short time when I was about 16, going back nearly 55 years! :shock: I am sure one or two of you must have gone there for supper after the clubbing! Obviously most of you would be too young to remember! :wink:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Elaine Goulding

Loretta, I lived on Church Road, Litherland on the same side as the Netherton pub (10 doors down). I remember Allisons very well and the name Jack Pye rings a bell, however, I cannot for the life of me remember a chippy opposite Allisons. I remember a chippy off Church Road they sold fish and chips plus various cold meats etc. I think it was a mother and son running it.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks for your reply Elaine, I think the road was School Lane? it was just around the corner on the left side of the main road that led to Ford, Allisons was across the main road on the right corner . Jack Pye died not long after I left and vaguely remember them having a son, Mrs. Pye was a very hard working woman.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
nicolas

The Chippie was in School Lane, group of 3 shops, opposite the school and Church. Wasn't Jack Pye a local Boxer or Wrestler?
scotty

Sadly, This was before Loretta's time.

http://litherland-digital.co.uk/album_1 ... ackpye.htm
All gave some
Some gave all
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Yes Nicolas, Jack Pye was a wrestler, I don't know if Mr. Pye who owned the chippie was the one and same man. Mrs. Pye used to call him Jack.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

Janette lived in School Lane, the opposite end to Pyes . Mr Pye was not the wrestler Jack Pye and the chippy was run by Mrs Pye. They had two sons , Norman & Malcolm of which Janette went to primary school with Malcolm so he would be 67/68 and Norman 70/71.
The shop was in School Lane on the corner of Church Road opposite English Martyrs.
Ken
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks Ken, its all coming back to me now! :D Mrs. Pye taught me how to gut a chicken! :shock: At just 16 I wasn't very impressed! I remember cleaning the shop window, water and vinegar, I used to get a lovely shine on it! Couldn't get rid of the smell of fish and chips on me, I had people move away from me on the bus home after work! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

Imagine you and the Sausage works girls on the same bus Loretta :lol: Ken
BOBHAMO

edit
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
Bonesy

This should bring back some memories of the area from 1971, the video came up on fb last week

http://youtu.be/eYQNmMlqXOM

Keith
Invicta

Didn't Mack post that yesterday Cus ? :D Ken
filsgreen

I'll have to say it, I can't stop myself :oops: Didn't Norman and Malcolm have a brother called Steak? :D :D
Bonesy

Invicta wrote:Didn't Mack post that yesterday Cus ? :D Ken
By the eck cus only been yarkshere for four days and did ne see that :lol:

Keith
indomboys

The chippy that was called.Joe Preston in School Lane is now an Indian takeaway called Pakora
indomboys

**** Joe Pyes ******
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks Indomboys, So his name was Joe! :oops: many years since I worked there so memory rather vague! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Invicta

It was JACK, Loretta. :wink: Ken
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks Ken!! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Frank948

Talking about chippies I had a chippy in Sessions Rd /fountains Rd by St Johns Church L4 only fo a few months in the late 60s.It had a coal fired boiler had to light i up at 09 00 to get the Fat hot for the lunch time rush.I know its of subject but wanted to put my comment in.
F A Mullen
n3ttl3

Wasn't the cobbler's next door Mr Leather? - not joking!
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
fatboyjoe90

Jack Pye’s chippie was at the top of our street. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I may have served you your supper Joe!! :lol: :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

You might well have done Loretta i do hope you would’ve given me extra chips. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
Brenda M

Hi - I remember a chippie named Pyes but it was on Linacre Road somewhere between Walkers Mission and the Co-op. I remember Mrs. Pye worked so hard and always looked so tired, but her chips were the best in the area. Perhaps she moved the shop to Church Road - this is going back to the early 50s. Great memories of eating chips wrapped in newspaper.............

Brenda M.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Sounds like her Brenda, she was a very hard worker, never took a break.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Brenda,
That chippie you’re talking about was owned by Mr & Mrs George, who were Greek .if you remember Mr George was killed when a wagon crashed through the shop window killing him instantly early 1960s Mrs George ran that chippie with her daughter for over 25 years that was a good chippie also.
Cheers Joe.
tpbrady

Just discovered the Pye chip shop thread. The death of George had always haunted me. I was away at universitu at the time and the news of that lorry tragedy was devastating. The family bought the shop from Jack Pye who then concentrated on his School Lane business. The Greek family were so proud of their shop,so kind and gentle and generous to people who had little money. They were wonderful. I felt so sorry for his wife and family when he died. Life can be so unfair.
Eddy Lloyd

I remember the incident, a lorry careered across the road Into the chippy which was facing the Pacific pub killing the owner and I think two others. It was around 1965/6.my mate Brian McGguirk and I were in the coffee shop the Icebox and were just about to leave when Wayne Fontanna came on the jukebox so we stayed and listened. We then set off and was about 3 minutes away from the accident. We could have been right by that chippy if we hadn't of stayed in the Icebox.
tpbrady

Hi Eddy. Thank you for your post. I just have to correct one of your observations.The Jack Pye chippie wasn't opposite the Pacific. It was further along Linacre road near Towcester St. The one you are thinking of was Handley's. My mum worked there peeling spuds,believe it or not. We lived in Empire Road.
filsgreen

Hi TP, did you know the Woolhouses, Dave, Les and Shirley?
Eddy Lloyd

tpbrady wrote:Hi Eddy. Thank you for your post. I just have to correct one of your observations.The Jack Pye chippie wasn't opposite the Pacific. It was further along Linacre road near Towcester St. The one you are thinking of was Handley's. My mum worked there peeling spuds,believe it or not. We lived in Empire Road.
Hi, I didn't know the Jack Pye chippy I was just referring to the horrible accident where the lorry crashed into the chippy.