Romeo Street Gospel Hall - where was it?

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bernie R

Afternoon all.

I know strictly speaking that Romeo Street was in Kirkdale but I think it was close enough to Bootle to try this one out on you all.

A while ago, I did a google search on Romeo Street and, once I'd whittled away all the foreign hits, found something in a register of births, marriages, deaths relating to a marriage held at The Gospel Hall, Romeo Sreet, Kirkdale, West Derby (the latter presumably being the registration district?). This was some time in 1932 (that's the marriage of course, not the google search :lol: ).

I was born in Romeo Street in '59 and have no knowledge of a Gospel Hall, nor do I remember my parents ever discussing it.

At the bottom of the street (i.e. nearest the railway footbridge to Glendower Street) when I was there, on the left was Puddifer's scrap yard and on the right was a debris.

I wonder if the Gospel Hall was previously sited on one of those sites?
Was it bombed in the blitz?

Can any of the Bootle Bucks shed any light on this please as I am intrigued?

Thanks in advance.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
ron waters

BERNIE I have just spoken to one of my friends whos father in law used to preach there, this lady is about 84 and she reckons it was close to the Commodore .
Ron
Alan M

Hi Bernie,my dads family lived in Romeo st, half way down on the left as you come from Stanley Rd,and his brother lived in Glendower St,on the right as you came over the bridge.He was a Dock Gateman for MD&HB also.As a kid I used to hate visiting on Sundays but now wish I had spent more time listening to them. We also had to visit relatives on Brasenose road where he grew up.Had some great stay behinds in the 'Glen' years ago after Cy Tucker had finished in the Langton Castle.
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
BOBHAMO

HI BERNIE HERE IS ROMEO ST 1900Image
BOBHAMO

Bernie R

ron waters wrote:BERNIE I have just spoken to one of my friends whos father in law used to preach there, this lady is about 84 and she reckons it was close to the Commodore .
Ron
Ron

Ta for that.

I'm a bit confused now. The nearest bit of Romeo to the 'Commy' would be the low odd numbers with number 1 being the house adjoining the Shakespeare pub (as borne out by Bobhamo's first post above where the resident of number 1 is listed as a victualler). Maybe she's telling us that it was at the bottom on the odd side (where I knew the scrap yard to be - when I was there, the highest odd number house before the scrappy was 27) as that, at least, was on the side nearest the Commy.

Is there any possibility that the lady may be talking about Romeo Street in general being close to the Commodore? After all it was only in the next street.

Grateful for your help and anything further you may be able to dig up.

Thanks

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Alan M wrote:Hi Bernie,my dads family lived in Romeo st, half way down on the left as you come from Stanley Rd,and his brother lived in Glendower St,on the right as you came over the bridge.He was a Dock Gateman for MD&HB also.As a kid I used to hate visiting on Sundays but now wish I had spent more time listening to them. We also had to visit relatives on Brasenose road where he grew up.Had some great stay behinds in the 'Glen' years ago after Cy Tucker had finished in the Langton Castle.
Hiya Alan,

When are we talking here mate? That can't be too far from where I lived (number 21) - deffo on the same side at least.

If we're talking mid 60s through to 1975, what was the family name? It would be a coincidence if I knew them.

Also, I had a good schoolmate, Vinnie Jones (no, not THAT Vinnie Jones!) who lived in the first house on the right as you went down the steps into Glendower Street.

Bern
Bernie R

Bobhamo

Thanks for those listings.

Strangely enough; only earlier today I discovered that the Mungo family were in number 21 around the turn of the century (apparently they showed up in the 1901 census as living there!).

That was another little accidental fact I discovered about the street of my childhood from messing about with google!

Funny old game this t'internet mallarkey!!

Bern
BOBHAMO

Bernie R

Bob

That's great mate - there are so many names I know on that 1949 list; some of them are forebears of the families I knew but still at the same addresses.

Great stuff mate!!

Cheers

Bern
Alan M

Bernie R wrote:
Alan M wrote:Hi Bernie,my dads family lived in Romeo st, half way down on the left as you come from Stanley Rd,and his brother lived in Glendower St,on the right as you came over the bridge.He was a Dock Gateman for MD&HB also.As a kid I used to hate visiting on Sundays but now wish I had spent more time listening to them. We also had to visit relatives on Brasenose road where he grew up.Had some great stay behinds in the 'Glen' years ago after Cy Tucker had finished in the Langton Castle.
Hiya Alan,

When are we talking here mate? That can't be too far from where I lived (number 21) - deffo on the same side at least.

If we're talking mid 60s through to 1975, what was the family name? It would be a coincidence if I knew them.

Also, I had a good schoolmate, Vinnie Jones (no, not THAT Vinnie Jones!) who lived in the first house on the right as you went down the steps into Glendower Street.

Bern
Hi Bernie,it will probably be early 60's,if not earlier,as I was born in late 1952and I dont think my dad would have dragged us out when I was at BGS. The family was Munro/Anderson, the auntie was Nellie( I think!) who use to work in the Pub at the bottom of Marsh St. One of the family worked on the Empress boats and went missing one voyage.Dont know if he was lost or just went "missing' in port.
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
Bernie R

Sorry Alan - that doesn't ring any bells. It may well be just before my time/memory span.

The only Nellie I remember was Nellie Davies in number 22 but that was the right hand side anyway.

Bern
Alan M

Bernie,on second thoughts,I think it was Barnes family,on me dads side .The guy who went diffy from the Empress boat was billy barnes
Bernie R

Alan

I do remember the Barnes family living there but can really only recall the name.

My brother was friendly with the Deegans on one side of them and I went to school with one of the Hart girls on the other side but I'm struggling to recall the Barnes gang - sorry!

Bern
Les M

Berni M

Just found this site.

My grand parents lived in Romeo St at number 17 Walter & Pheobe Murray
I remember Nellie Davis over the road.
Everyone left their doors open when I used to visit and if the doors weren't open the keys where on the end of a piece of string behind the letterbox
Do you remember the ice cream parlour at the top of the road?
buchanan clan

hi bernie re romeo st my sister in law val buchanan nee rimmer lived at no 38 and the gospel hall was situated next door where you sugested ie the bomb site op the scrapyard hope this solves your problem
Bernie R

Les M wrote:Berni M

Just found this site.

My grand parents lived in Romeo St at number 17 Walter & Pheobe Murray
I remember Nellie Davis over the road.
Everyone left their doors open when I used to visit and if the doors weren't open the keys where on the end of a piece of string behind the letterbox
Do you remember the ice cream parlour at the top of the road?
Les

I remember your grand parents. Walter was known as 'Pop' if I remember rightly - was there a connection with down under? I seem to remember them either having relatives in Oz or going over to Oz?? Also, think Nellie Davis must have been their close friend as I seem to recall the Davis clan (Baxters as they were then) looking after Pop's house while he was away.

Remember those keys on strings - Jeez, imagine doing that now!!!

I guess you're talking about George's ice cream parlour - across Stanley Road? Used to love their cream soda floats!!! mmmmmm

Bern
Bernie R

buchanan clan wrote:hi bernie re romeo st my sister in law val buchanan nee rimmer lived at no 38 and the gospel hall was situated next door where you sugested ie the bomb site op the scrapyard hope this solves your problem
Thank you very much for this - it's been niggling me for ages and it's great to finally discover where it was sited.

I remember Val (Valerie Rimmer as we knew her) - I was one of the nuisances from up the street who must have made their lives hell by playing footy outside their house using the scrappy wall as a goal.

Thanks again

Bern.
Les M

Hi Bern

Yes my grandad was know as Pops. We called him grandad bumper as he had a big lump on his head caused by an accident at work.
Their youngest son George went to Austrailia with his familiy around 1963. My grandad died some time later and my nan went to stay with them for a while. Nellie looked after the house.
They had a daughter called Doreen, an older son Jack, and my dad Walter (although everyone knew him as Stew)
George is still in Australia, but the others have all gone. When they knocked Romeo St down I found a brick from the old number 17 and mounted it on a brass bass and sent it to George. They moved all my nans friends to Kirkdale, but she was sent to Anfield. I think that was the last straw as she died less than a year later.
Nice to hear from someone from my past.
Regards
Les
Bonesy

Back to the future with this one young Bern :D
Just browsing and found this topic y you started I'm 2008. :shock:
I'm guessing Romeo Street was eventually knocked down, what's in its place.

Keith
Bernie R

Hi Keith

The only remaining residence from Romeo Street is the house over the Shakespeare pub (now the closed down William Shakespeare).

The street itself was demolished in the late 70s (we left in '75) and replaced by part of Oriel Crescent..

Bern
Bernie R

By strange coincidence, just as Keith woke this thread up, Bobhamo posted this pic on another thread .

It clearly shows the Gospel Hall slap bang in the centre of the pic (the white building).

Bern