Where did you grow up in Bootle memories

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
marknjen

Hi I may as well try get this started hahahaha

I'm 37 years young and I grew up in Hackett Ave off hawthorne road by arriva station, I remember old neighbours being Mrs skully, Flo and Billy Crwaford and Kate Hughes...behind our house in between Hackett and Province rd was Greenacre nursery which I attended,also there was a small field known as " the backy". This was where the bigger kids would store and build a huge bonfire on bommy night, it was so hard for fire bobbies to get too! :oops: there was the local shops Owen Brady's sweet shop bright blue with Glen working for him, these were on corner by taxi office, corner Hawthorne and Linacre lane, opposite Parkside club where we'd go to build dens in the trees next to canal! Down the end of Hawthorne was the shops of Klondyke like whites post office and later sweet shop I think, the best ever chippy...Lams chippy (now Bootle village) where Eileen mum would give the kids a foil pie tray with few chips in whilst mum waited for the fish to fry! Also a bakery and butchers sadly can't remember their names. St John and st James church celler where we were convinced ghosts where, and dare each other to go down the dark steps :shock: hahaha.
My two schools were first of course Orrell primary as it was right on our doorstep I remember the then headteacher Mr Cheetham, strict but very nice as well, I remember teachers such as miss Morris, miss geddes/geddis not sure on spellings, big mr Jones curly hair, little mr Jones Welsh and very strict! Miss coxy who all the lads fancied, the two Mrs Roberts one who played piano and one with glasses so gentle and timid! The new headteacher when mr Cheetham retired,was the brilliant Mr Branch, now if ever I saw a teacher or headteacher who genuinely loved his children it was this man...a heart as big as merseyside itself I'd say. Then high school at st George of England, head teacher was mr Schwartz, nice fella, teachers well let's go with the golden oldies most will remember...Mr Dennis, Mr Fish rip,Mr Lewis rip, Mr Aliston, Erm Mr Snape, Miss Dempsey,Mrs Bowden,Miss Toms, my form tutor Mr Bentzen, my mind fails me here on the others so apologies to any others I've blatantly missed there! I remember in 1st year Georgies being warned to stay away from the gymnasium on your own as "the grey lady" would get you hahahaha, never did get me head flushed down the loo either!
My favourite memory was of this area building go karts out of pram wheels and plastic bakers trays, or wood and skateboards, also building the dens over in Parkside or up in silcocks by Robert bellamines, playing on our bikes in the street till gone 10, and when one of us had to go in the others would sing outside " we don't want him to go in yet we don't want him to go in yet" until parents said "go on, you've got ten bloody minutes, and eh....no more bloody singing " hahahahaha
So that's my little picture of me growing up in this fab town of ours...
Cheers for reading
Mark :x
filsgreen

Hey Mark, that's my story from 20 years earlier, I lived in number 13 till 1973. Neighbours ar that time were: the Coughlin, Cravens, Owens, Fredson's, Stafford's White's Macmillan's and the Reardon's

The Backy was prefabs till about 1965, when they were demolished, it was then called the Oller or Debris. The prefabs had wooden flooring, everyone made picket fences out of them, we recycled in the 60's. :wink: The flooring had a bitumen coating on, which if they could not get off, it was burnt on the fire, ithe bitumen made the wood burn great, but the fumes were terrible. :D The prefabs had asbestos rooves , which were just smashed up and left there, it made great ammo for stone fights. No health and safety, then.

I remember my mum sending me to whites for messages; she gave me a ten bob note, which I duly lost crossing the Debris. When I went back to tell her she sent me back out to find it, luckily enough I did. We too used to build a bommy at the top of the Debris, not far from the substation, the fire brigade never bothered us.

I too went to Orrell, at that time the headmaster was Mr Scott, my teachers being: Miss Pritchard, Mrs Jones and Mr Johnson. In the Georges I can't remember many of the teachers; I was only there for two years before moving to Netherton and Warwick Bolam.

The park side used to be Harland and Wolf's social club. When it snowed we used to slide on the snow that had settled on the bowling green. Also, in the winter we used to pour water down the gullets in the entries and hope it would freeze over, so that we could slide on the ice.

The set of shops next to Orrell comprised of Danny's or Gallaghers, then Cousins the bakers, Owens the greengrocers, Gidmans the butchers, men's barber, Frank's the newsagent and a chippie.

We used to go to the Black hills in Derby park to play war or hide and seek. There was a tap there where you could fill your Tizer or Schofields bottles with water. In the summer there was always a fair at North Park and there was water in the bathing pools.

So there you are Mark, when I met you at your parents to do their garden, little did we know we had so much in common.
mckenna

HI ALL i was born 1928 October my happy memouries was before the war when use have beutiful summers, i started
school in 1934 at Bedford Road i only remember the headmaster was a Mr Blanchard i stayed there till i was 11years old the went to Balliol road the teachers then was Mr Tickle Mr Clough Mr Hobart Mr Elliot and that famous Mr Cooper
whom i think some forum members new, Mr Mills was the head master,i was evacuated to Churchtown before i start Balliol road
i only stayed a week in Churchtown and came home on the 3rd of September the day war started,but before the war started
in the school holidays Derby Park was one favourite places fishing for tiddlers as use call them,South Park was another the
Brickfields were Southport road is now the Princess was our Saturday matinee picture house,with penth of fades realy happy days, them days we could go out and play without any fear not like to day,i dont whether anyone new about thye little fair on Seaforth Beach to get to it there was afootpath at the tram terminus which lead onto beach and the fair was at the end of the path i could go and on let some else give there memouries all the best to every one George
g mckenna
marknjen

filsgreen wrote:Hey Mark, that's my story from 20 years earlier, I lived in number 13 till 1973. Neighbours ar that time were: the Coughlin, Cravens, Owens, Fredson's, Stafford's White's Macmillan's and the Reardon's

The Backy was prefabs till about 1965, when they were demolished, it was then called the Oller or Debris. The prefabs had wooden flooring, everyone made picket fences out of them, we recycled in the 60's. :wink: The flooring had a bitumen coating on, which if they could not get off, it was burnt on the fire, ithe bitumen made the wood burn great, but the fumes were terrible. :D The prefabs had asbestos rooves , which were just smashed up and left there, it made great ammo for stone fights. No health and safety, then.

I remember my mum sending me to whites for messages; she gave me a ten bob note, which I duly lost crossing the Debris. When I went back to tell her she sent me back out to find it, luckily enough I did. We too used to build a bommy at the top of the Debris, not far from the substation, the fire brigade never bothered us.

I too went to Orrell, at that time the headmaster was Mr Scott, my teachers being: Miss Pritchard, Mrs Jones and Mr Johnson. In the Georges I can't remember many of the teachers; I was only there for two years before moving to Netherton and Warwick Bolam.

The park side used to be Harland and Wolf's social club. When it snowed we used to slide on the snow that had settled on the bowling green. Also, in the winter we used to pour water down the gullets in the entries and hope it would freeze over, so that we could slide on the ice.

The set of shops next to Orrell comprised of Danny's or Gallaghers, then Cousins the bakers, Owens the greengrocers, Gidmans the butchers, men's barber, Frank's the newsagent and a chippie.

We used to go to the Black hills in Derby park to play war or hide and seek. There was a tap there where you could fill your Tizer or Schofields bottles with water. In the summer there was always a fair at North Park and there was water in the bathing pools.

So there you are Mark, when I met you at your parents to do their garden, little did we know we had so much in common.

Hahaha wow how strange! Just shows you doesn't it!
marknjen

I know a lot of peeps probably thinking on can't be bothered writing everything down, but I found it just flows once you start! Give it a go, cheers
:wink:
Shelagh

Interesting reading childhood memories of Mark, Phil and George..all good history!
Although I didn't live in that the area..my Nan did..39 Province Rd..can remember my aunty taking me to chippie on Hawthorne Rd by red circle cab place..aunties would rave about the spitfires sold there...(fish cakes)
Fond memories of playing up that way as a child..my other aunty lived in Humphrey St.
Cousins and I would play for hours in that street..can remember a little dairy on the corner...sold sweets as well as dairy..all very handy for us kids!
Thank's for the memories all :wink:
marymaple que.

Hi/there...I used to have relatives that lived in number 3 Hackett ave......but I have lost touch with them all, their name was--Chatterton--I was wondering if anybody knew of this family..Thankyou.
mckenna

Hi all I forgot to mention i was born in Olivia Street till a bomb drop opposite our house, then move to Rosalind Street
but most of happy times was in Olivia Street , lovely neighbours and great friends sadly they have all move i had two
relations living in the same street the Mcouids and the Wilsons yes they where happy times.George
g mckenna
filsgreen

Hi Shelagh, that was Baines dairy at the top of Humphrey Street. I forgot to mention the "Top Shop". It was on Springwell Road on the corner of Mona Street, it was like a converted house. They used to sell everything. The chippie opposite wasn't too bad either, except that they did not sell Hollands pies. :cry:
efc46

Hi Davey Rowlands lived in balfour road born jan 1946 started solly rd/grayst/st georges schools left got a job ryders milk then johnny routledge (north mersey iron steel demolition)luved the job worked all over 2 sad places i was on the demo crew Applebys flour mill and the last section of the overhead people I knew (grewup with) Terry Riley all his family (12) jimmy burgessthebillows neddy sandsthe mccomish s(4)
Rip phil) they where all from our street I always drank in these pubs Solly georgesAudleyChaucer Jollies and thederby dances lathom hall st john orrell park liherland town irondoor cavern I had alot of mates and I still think of them I went to Australia in 1967 met my wife 4 kids 7 grandkids I have done okay in oz been home twice last time1998 it is a crying shame what has happened to all our yesterdays thats why i love the bootle times blog I still keep in touch with terry hope you enjoyed my video of 1992/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
marknjen

marymaple que. wrote:Hi/there...I used to have relatives that lived in number 3 Hackett ave......but I have lost touch with them all, their name was--Chatterton--I was wondering if anybody knew of this family..Thankyou.
Hi Mary I'll ask my parents for you
:wink:
marknjen

mckenna wrote:HI ALL i was born 1928 October my happy memouries was before the war when use have beutiful summers, i started
school in 1934 at Bedford Road i only remember the headmaster was a Mr Blanchard i stayed there till i was 11years old the went to Balliol road the teachers then was Mr Tickle Mr Clough Mr Hobart Mr Elliot and that famous Mr Cooper
whom i think some forum members new, Mr Mills was the head master,i was evacuated to Churchtown before i start Balliol road
i only stayed a week in Churchtown and came home on the 3rd of September the day war started,but before the war started
in the school holidays Derby Park was one favourite places fishing for tiddlers as use call them,South Park was another the
Brickfields were Southport road is now the Princess was our Saturday matinee picture house,with penth of fades realy happy days, them days we could go out and play without any fear not like to day,i dont whether anyone new about thye little fair on Seaforth Beach to get to it there was afootpath at the tram terminus which lead onto beach and the fair was at the end of the path i could go and on let some else give there memouries all the best to every one George
Fascinating read George thank you :wink: please tell us more..this is what I meant about people having great stories that they can share...me I just wished I had asked my nan grandads more when they were alive!
Bonesy

I grew up in Mack Grove, Ford and spent the 6 week summer holidays every year for 10 years at me nans on Markfield Rd during a time when everyone treated each other like Family.
We went outside to play, we got dirty and played footy till you got called in for the the umpteenth time. We didn't eat fast food...we ate jam butties , home cooked meals and got ice cream from the icey van.
We played Hide and Seek, Tick (not Tag), Piggy in the middle, Hopscotch, done handstands and raced against each other in the street.
There was no bottled water, we drank water from the tap and for a treat cream soda off the pop man. We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings and rode our bikes for hours and made trollys out of pram wheels and a plank of wood.
Next doors was always ya auntys and the doors of your neighbours where always open with a biscuit or a packet of crisp if you said hello ....
Sundays started with an English breaky or a sausage and toast, then onto a full roast dinner listening to Two-Way Family Favorites, The Navy Lark and The Clitheroe Kid on the radio...after that was jelly and biscuits for tea..or sometimes a salad, then a bath and sat in front of the fire in your pjs watching tv till 7, sometimes allowed to stay up and watch Sunday Night at the London Palladium then off to bed and listened to Radio Luxembourg on a tranny radio under the bed sheets.
There was no such thing as a mobile phone or any other electronic device . We weren't AFRAID OF ANYTHING. If someone had a fight, that's what it was...a fist fight. Kids didn't have guns when I grew up. The street lights were your curfew. School was mandatory. We watched our mouths around our elders because we knew If you DISRESPECTED any grown up you're gonna get it with whatever's close (rolled up echo or a slipper.)

Keith
marknjen

Amazing Keith, even in my time percent period some of what you said still stood, in at dark, played in street, played bikes too, a fight was a fight end of the matter, no bloody guns, especially kids with bloody guns! But the biggest thing we had and your time period had was the most important one which has sadly disappeared from youth of today....RESPECT!

Cheers
Mark
marknjen

Well this took off like a led balloon, thanks to the folk who had ago though a Nice little read I thought
Cheers folks
Mark
filsgreen

Wouldn't give up on the topic just yet Mark, the forum in general is pretty quiet right now for whatever reason. Maybe a lot of members are on holiday, or if they're like Ken, et al, they're too busy looking after relatives and friends to post their biographies :D
Patricia

Just came across this, great subject!
I grew up in Melville Road and was lucky enough to have seven girlfriends living in that road who were all about the same age
give or take a year or two.
The family next door always welcomed us in their home and the father built a Clubhouse for us out of his old air raid shelter.
We would spend hours in there playing with our paper dolls and dressing up putting on plays. We called ourselves the "Star
Spangled Club!" and we even had our own anthem which we sang at each meeting!!! (still remember the words to it!)
In the summer we would go about once a week in a group, to one of the Beaches,i.e: Formby, Ainsdale or Southport and it
was indeed a treat when we occasionally went to the Cafe at the bottom of Harris Drive for a Fish & Chip meal - felt like the Bees
Knees!!
We also played rounders, roller skated in the road, swung on the lamp and rode our bikes.
Wouldn't trade my "growing up" days for anything!
marknjen

filsgreen wrote:Wouldn't give up on the topic just yet Mark, the forum in general is pretty quiet right now for whatever reason. Maybe a lot of members are on holiday, or if they're like Ken, et al, they're too busy looking after relatives and friends to post their biographies :D
Cheers, probably true with holidays etc too!
Patrica a great little read, there's still a cafe at the bottom of Harris drive, I loved the idea that people would leave doors open for friends and neighbours to just pop in too, couldn't even dream of doing that now day's sadly, keep the memories coming folks!
Cheers
Mark :wink:
Elaine Goulding

I grew up in Bianca Street (off Stanley Road). Peter Craig lived two doors away and Barbara Jackson lived in the middle of Bianca until she moved to Skem. I had a wonderful childhood, very little money but lots of love. The big thing during school holidays was most of the boys made homemade steering carts from old pram wheels, a plank of wood down the middle a huge bolt with a piece of rope tied around it which steered the cart!! I remember Peter Craig had one, no brakes, nothing! How I envied the boys those carts. Every summer a lady in the street organised a coach trip for the kids to Pickmere Lakes. This was the highlight of the summer and I could not wait until I was old enough to go. I remember one year Peter Craig and another kid from the street went out on a boat and Peter fell in the lake. He ended up spending the remainder of the day under a blanket soaking wet. Cricket was the main sport in the street as the lamppost served as the wicket. My grandmother lived in Wadham Road so I had the best of both worlds as I had friends in both streets. Thursday night was pay night for my Dad and we always had fish and chips from the chip shop on the corner of Bianca and Queens Road. Talking about children having more manners then. I remember one day my mum was outside cleaning her windows when one of the neighbours a rather overweight lady was walking up the street and a row of boys were all sitting on a wall on the opposite side of the road, all of a sudden one of the boys shouted after her "Tomato A**e", my mother nearly fell off the window ledge!!! I often think about the kid who shouted that day, his name was John Lyn, he was a real character, in fact if I am not mistaken he may have been in the boat the day Peter fell in the lake!!! Great times, would not change a thing.
Elaine
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
marknjen

Great memories Elaine x
Patricia

Mark - So neat to know the Cafe is still in business at the end of Harris Drive,
Thanks for letting me in on that - will be sure to visit same next time I'm
across the pond!! :D
Marie777

23rd February 1938 date of birth.

I was George.s next door neighbour, until that bomb dropped right over the road taking with it half of our house and all of the windows, fortunately we were down the street in 106,due to a great granny who was by this time bed ridden. Aunty Mary was the back bone of the family, I was tempted to say the whole street because she just kept going and took us with her. We were at the bus stop at Bedford Rd singing and all excited as we looked down and saw that Anuthe docks were on fire. "It doesn't matter that's not our ferry it's at the Pier Head " .a smiling
Mary would say. We were getting quite a few neighbours from Scotty Road bombed out and finding empty houses in our street. At first we had to show them that we were as tough as them but after a few fisty cuffs we sorted ourselves out and they just joined in. We played two balls on the bombed houses, allallio hop scotch but my favourite was Ollie's I had a sticker and everyday I filled my pockets with the new ones that I won, then my mother would find them and confiscate them all that's why I hid my sticker in my top pocket away from the others.Billy was Nell's brother and I secretly used to claim him as my brother too. I went to Southport on a little bike with Billy stopping all the big lads for me to catch up, I really was a pest to them but a friend to Billy and we were still friends when we were grown up, if he was on a loose end I would cancel a night with the girls and we would go to the empire or a movie.,We enjoyed all the special days with Mr Higham (R.I.P.) playing the drums one of his friends on guitar and a few Local Dean Martins and Frank Sinatras entertaining us.i still talk to my friend Ann who is still in Bootle and she has got a fantastic memory for all the people who lived around us. Lots of sad memories, Dad being in the war going to meet the Georgic at the dock but he wasn't allowed to come ashore that was 1946 but there is not a minute of it that I would change, even when Aunty Mary was backing Russian Hero, sixpence each way on the Grand National and young Joe Murphy said "there's three duck eggs on that " she crossed it off and it won 66/1 She was going to kill him but she got over it.
Once again I wish I could say a very sincere Thank You to Aunty Mary because she filled in so much of my childhood and I am still very grateful for the time she gave to us. We lost her when she was 47 God Bless Her.
filsgreen

Thanks for your memories Marie. You probably would have bumped into my mum Joan Broadfoot; she used to live on Bedford Road by the Hawthorne and is a year younger than you.
mckenna

Marie777 Billy was also my cousin and my brother at the same time what great person, also Robert is brother Alec and
James all cousins of mine all from Olivia street we did have very happy memories about them days going to
the Hawthorne for a pint watching Everton on Saturday those street parties in the street what great days then
sadly all as gone i keep in touch with Nel and Robert he"s in Alice Spring now Nel as know in Yorkshire me here
in Cheshire were all spread about,can we bring old days back sadly not all the best Marie GEORGE
g mckenna
Marie777

Yes George, Thank's for your response,"No" there is no going back but how lucky we were to have such experiences to remember. I watched the short movie about the war years and i think it was Stan Boardman who lost his five year old brother. He and the other bloke couldn't talk without getting upset. We were lucky to have had so many people to lift us up when we were down. Yes, I knew you were all related,Billy was older than Nel but not by much I remember Mr Wilson, tall and elegant and Brenda,one nagging question Who was the member of the Wise family, he was a conductor on the buses and the morning of my wedding my Dad had decided his shoes didn't fit, we went to the Strand and the conductor was from our Street, he said "I thought you were getting married today" I laughed and said "I am" I am brain dead with names and Ann Jones (nee) Breen would be able to roll off the names of everyone who lived from the bottom to the top of the street and all the other streets as well. Filsgreen we didn't have to know surnames Yes there were lots of Joans so if your Mum lived in Bedford at some time we probably played together. Bye for now George stay well and keep those memories alive.
Marie (Lowe)
mckenna

Hi Marie777 the conductor was my mate and best man was John Wise 63 OLivia Street , many a free rides i got then
also there was other mates of mine Tommy Wayne Bobby Silitoe i think all past away now sadly as you say
know going back unfortunatly . take care Marie GEORGE
g mckenna
Marie777

That was him George, John Wise and I knew his wife's name as well but I think being so far a way from home causes a blockage. Tommy Wayne was only young when he died, my memory of him was just strutting down the street hands in his Mack pocket and without any effort at all he would stroll into the street just to kick a stray ball. Some time ago his son who must have been very young when Tommy died was on one of the Bootle forums wanting to speak to anyone who knew his dad, very sad .As before take care George if you have any questions that I may be able to answer please feel free to ask but be prepared to wait a while I am scheduled for back surgery on Friday so I might be a few days off colour. Once again George best wishes and God Bless.
filsgreen

Good luck with your back surgery, Marie; I hope it all goes well. :wink:
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Enjoying reading all the memories, hope there will be a lot more put on :D

Marie, hope everything goes well with your back operation and not long before you are posting again.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
mckenna

Marie777 Hope everything goes well with your operation and all is well after , Tommy was only 37 when he died Billy his brother died i think the following year very sadly, John Wises wifes name was Kathy, i often wonder what become of the the
Breen family i new John, Laurence,and David great lads they were all the best MARIE GEORGE
g mckenna
Marie777

Thank you Ladies for your good wishes and of course Gentleman George somethings never change, right George.
You keep opening a catalogue of memories George, I will catch up with Ann and ask about her brothers as soon as i can get hold of her. I remember Lady Breen the dog, we had one of her pups for about seventeen years 'Tony' we called him and i loved that dog, I hated everybody in the house the day they took the dog to the vet, they called it 'merciful' I called it murder. Poor thing couldn't walk, oh well it happens. Bye again Take care
Elaine Goulding

Marie, good luck with your back surgery. I hope everything goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.
Elaine
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Marie777

Thank You Elaine I felt sorry for myself and then I saw all those people leaving their home in Florida took my mind off me. God help them they don't even know what they will go back to. Again Thank You
Take Care.
Sheelagh Tequila

Dear Marie best wishes for a successful op and quick recovery I`m sure everyone on here wishes you well.

Love Sheelagh x :D
lily8

Wishing you every good wish Marie (Theotherone) with the operation hope you are soon back with us, all the love in the world

Lilyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lily