Timber Merchants Sandhills Lane.

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Marie777

I worked for Williams and Davies which was right under Sandhills Station

A great job, owned and run by Major Herbert Williams and his brother, Lieutenant Colonel

Eric Williams ..Mr Eric's daughter was the girl on the bisto advert. AaaaarrrrrrrBisto

Sadly Mr Herbert had a war wound in his leg and his Doctor said he had to give up driving..

As they both lived in Wales, it was the end of a very friendly company. I often think about all

the fun times we had there. Doubt if either are still alive but I would congratulate them on the

way the office was run professionally and pleasantly and profitably . That's it don't know what

brought that on but thought somebody might just have remembered them.
BossHogg

As a youngster in the late seventies, early eighties, I used to deliver milk to the newspaper kiosk at Sandhills station. :wink:
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Marie777

Ah, Bob thank you, very sad though seeing all those bricks blocking off some really good memories. Does this mean that the station is bricked up or am I seeing it from a different angle.Grayson Rollo was on the corner bet that's gone as well.
Stanley Baker was the star of a movie and we were all invited to the Palace Hotel in Southport I think it was Anne Heywood who was his co star, that was just one day in a very hectic Sandhills, Derby road junction So many changes good and bad because somehow they managed to change the atmosphere as well.
Ooh well I'm getting carried away, love going back over the old days by the way I Should have mentioned the old days to me were 1954 until 1960
Thanks again Bob once again you can to the aid of another Buck.
BossHogg

Is that the kiosk now boarded up? that was very busy in its time, always a queue.
Matt

Hi Marie was the movie called "Violent Playground" if so it was made in Gerard Gardens
and my mate Tom and myself were kind of "extras" in a crowd scene got 10 bob for my troubles as well. :lol:
Good to see you posting again.Missed you. You are the only person other than my mother who has ever called me Matthew :lol:
Matt(hew)
Marie777

Hello Matthew thank you for the reminder Violent Playground that was it. We were starry eyed teenagers then and getting that sort of attention from film stars was mind blowing.However what I didn't mention was when we got to the Palace it became scary and we chickened out after a couple of hours.I'm laughing now just remembering, nothing happened to frighten us but it suddenly didn't feel as safe as Sandhills Lane so we scuttled off home.I have kept up to date with the occasional read but got fed up with the Godless carry on, everyone to their own as you know friend. Regards to Sheila and thanks again Matthew if it was good enough for your Mother then it's good enough for me. Bye for now.
nicolas

Violent Playground 1958, on YouTube, but I doubt you can watch it in Canada!

https://youtu.be/p7JRZlHBZpg

Matt

Thanks Nicolas and yes I can see t here.Did have a copy of it a couple of years ago that
came as a freebie in some British newspaper.My wife Sheila's sister Ann brought about 20 of them to Canada
even had Frankie Vaughan in These Dangerous Years and the best of the bunch Carve Her Name with Pride but sadly
the discs were of a very poor quality and they scratched very easily.Busy looking for myself in the crowd scene at the Mersey Tunnel
but could not see myself :D For a 10 bob note payment did'nt think my mate Tom and I would get any credit!!!
It was GCE year at the Grammar for us but we sagged school after our exam and went to the Liverpool Museum and saw a pile of
people at the Tunnel entrance so just like 15 year olds we went to have a decko and were each handed a 10 bob note and told to "Mill
around"
Thanks again.
Matt
Marie777

Yes thanks from me too, Nicolas, just enjoyed that. If I am to be honest, I had forgotten quite a bit of it so it was an update as well.
I love it when one memory opens so many doors and creates more stories. Thank's Again.

By the way , The Chinese Laundry in the movie was actually another timber merchants down Sandhills Lane and was dressed up for the occasion.