Canal Street

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
maggoo1

Hi

I'm looking for the name of a timberyard on Canal Street which we used to play near in the 1960s. The bagworks went half the length of the street and the timberyard was beyond that before the hill up to the bridge. I remember a bloke who worked there called 'Ralph' this must have been around 1962/4.... does anyone remember his name or what happened to him? the name of the place would help.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks
BOBHAMO

Welcome Maggoo :D :D
this is 1962
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

Welcome to the forum Don't remember a timber yard in Canal st :wink: :wink:Sorry yes l do top end of the street :D :D

Bob please put other names on the street thanks
BOBHAMO

Bob i looked for timber merchants in canal street
but non come up
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road
henry

I lived with my sister in number 25 but I can't see that number
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
BOBHAMO

its on the 68 year Henry
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

In an old timber directory there is a reference to Skeltons timber yard in Canal Street. It also says they did slate so it is more likely to be a roofing company that sold timber slating battens.
Don't recall it in my day when I started in Timber Trade in late 60's. :wink: Ken
henry

BOBHAMO wrote:Image
its on the 68 year Henry
bobhamo
THANKS BOB
TOMMY JONES WAS MY BROTHER IN LAW AND WE LIVED IN THEIR PARLOUR IN NUMBER 25 IN1968
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
john j connell

Maggoo1, you could be thinking of Richard Proctors yard, the entrance was through double gates at the bottom of Coffee House Bridge on the Berry Street side, you could get to the rear of it by going into Windsor Place, a little cut off on the left hand side of Canal Street before you reached Berry Street, the wall to the yard was at the rear of the prefabs, numbered 117 up to 127 Berry St, (seperated by a small field). I played in there loads of times but i cannot remember it being a timber yard, i can only ever remember it being used for parking the flat back trailers, (not the wagon units) that belonged to Richard Proctor, the cockywatchman/security actually lived in the old Coffee House on the bridge, he would leg you loads of times but i cannot recall him ever catching anyone, later on when the house was demolished i can remember on or two of the flatbacks getting pushed into the cut. JJC.
bob. b

John spot on mate.

What was the one at the top of the road where we had the bommie and the entrance was by the bridge (coffee house bridge)
Seem to remember that had wagons and timber on some of the wagon's.
john j connell

Possibly Proctors again Bob, maybe they had to take the load back to the yard if the driver couldn't make the drop, other than that the only other timber yard was the Bridge Mahogany, the entrance was the other side of the bridge in Ashcroft St. On the subject of bommies Bob, no one was ever going to rob Canal Streets stash, can you remember it being stored on the railway between Canal Street and Berry Street, (the wide entry) on the little bit of embankment overlooking the tunnels, you risked a 40 foot drop if you tried to have it off. JJC.
Mack
Site Admin

Hi gang,

I've moved this thread from "Bootle Past & Present Photos, Video - Gallery" to "Talk about the History of Bootle here".

Mack :wink:
marknjen

Hi did anyone know John McGrady number 30 Bridge St?
Cheers
:wink:
bob. b

John, Remember bommies well and the stash coming home dirt hands and face and me mam saying you stink of fire. You have school tomorrow wake up the next day that smell in the air of bommies. Remember me mam saying have you had a face wash tired mark on your neck , get that neck washed. Spuds on the bommie no silver tin foil :wink: :wink: :wink: right on the bommie tasted great. Bob. b
bob. b

Jackie Doughan :wink: :wink: :wink: been told he does not remember this picture canal street by the baggie and by the famous goal in the street.
Jackie who is on the tandem with you :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:Imagehope this gets to him. :D :D
Look at that suit Jackie cost your mam a bomb
Last edited by bob. b on Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob. b

The Baggie in the war got battered
bob. b

Another one of canal street Peter Marsh Building during the war.
They got battered in that area remember my granddad saying all the windows went as well must have been hard times for them.
bob. b

Little boy walking in Tattershall place in the background Canal Street :D :D :D Mrs Sargent's open door at the bottom
bob. b

Top end by Baggie :wink: :wink:
Jackie the goal is on the left
john j connell

Mrs Sargent's open door at the bottom[/quote]
Mrs Sargent, known as nan if i am not mistaken Bob. JJC.
bob. b

Yes John spot on again :D :D :D Nan made the best toffee apples in canal street 1d left on the chair if we took one. Best toffee apples l have ever had no one made them like her better then them Southport ones. regards Bob. b
maherStephen

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm looking to trace information about my Father and potential trace his father, my grandfather who bailed before he was born and wondered if anyone from Canal Street where he lived remembers the family or any other information ? Not sure if this is more appropriate in one of the other forum pages but thought I would start where he lived.

My Dad died in April of Cancer and was James Joseph Maher, also known as Jimmy - or Marvin. He lived with his extended family in 22 Canal street with his unmarried mum Elizabeth Maher (lizzy) who was a ships cleaner at the time, her mother was Mary McDonald and father was Joseph Maher. He was born in december of 1945 2-3 months prematurely (so we are told). After leaving school he was an apprentice for one of the local building companies which I have the name of somewhere. He played the drums and in a new local bands and would often play at the cavern and the theatres around - one being New Brighton ballroom where he met my mum.

I'd love to hear if anyone recognises any of the names.
bob. b

Welcome Stephen to the forum you will get some response and l will ask my brother