Allinsons Theatre Club

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bill fawcett

Allinsons Theatre Club

Bill
Invicta

Many a good night there Bill. Our Friends, Sue, Mary & Tommy worked the bar so a few cheap nights as well. :lol: Ken
Liz H

We saw Bill Haley and the Comets there. Can't really remember anyone else. We used to have great times there, all the family together.
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
maureen howell

Hi Folks
SAw some great acts there in the late 70's.I used to get free tickets to get in from a lad in work ,the only problem was you had to go on a Wednesday.I saw Russ Abbot with the black abbots,I thought they were smashing.I don't remember the car park.....we just used to park outside.As for meals.....it was always "chicken in the basket"A great sign of sophistication for Sefton.A great club.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
henry

Chicken in the basket you couldn't beat that and a good show to go with it and if they were still open now it would be making a fortune Good old days
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Shelagh

Lovely stories about Allinsons, definitely a theatre with atmosphere,, always had good top billings along with excellent supporting acts - real cabaret!! also enjoyed the compulsory chicken in a basket.. good old days!!
Shelagh K!
nicolas

The former Allinsons Theatre Club in Litherland has now been demolished,marking the end of an era.

During its heyday in the 60s and 70s,Allinsons was one of the busiest city nightspots. The birthplace of dozens of stars,it formed one third of the cabaret triangle of The Shakespeare in the city centre and the Wooky Hollow in West Derby.

Stars who have appeared at Allisons include Bob Monkhouse, Tom O'Connor,Frankie Vaughan, Val Doonican, The Crickets and singer Del Shannon.

The venue, which was converted into Secrets nightclub 13 years ago, also holds fond memories for Pete Price and Micky Finn.

For Micky, the memories are both personal and professional. Not only did the comedian play his first big gigs at Allinsons,he also met and married one of the barmaids, Hazel, and the couple now have two grownup sons.

He said: ``It felt like the London Palladium to me. I was quite keen to get hold of a brick and keep it as a memento of all those great times .''

Pete Price,now a Radio City DJ, said: ``I ran The Shakespeare. One night Dorothy Squires was playing for us but left her bra at Allinsons. I had to drive all the way there to get it or she wouldn't go on!''

A Sefton council spokesman said: ``The site has the potential to be redeveloped as residential, which will vastly improve the whole area.''

FACT FILE

Was previously Regal Cinema and bowling alley.

It opened as Allinsons in July 1966, when club owner John Allinson bought it. John died aged 60 in 1978. Legendary compere was Al Nolan.

A typical list of attractions at Allinsons, between October and December 1975, featured the following stars: Val Doonican; The Chimes; Dustin Gee; Del Shannon; Searchers; Black Abbots and crooner Tony Christie.

It closed its doors in March 1983 after attendances fell.
Sheelagh Tequila

Had a few good nights in Allinsons. I always loved the Cabaret club atmosphere and later worked in the Shakespeare where I met my future hubby sadly that was just after Bob Monkhouse appeared, I never even knew he had been on Allinsons :(

Sheelagh :D
WatsonTommy

i was in the next bed in fazackley hospital with john Allison and we got talking he told me Tommy cooper let him down he was always drunk, he said the acts managers wanted to much money i could not afford them so i gave it up Sunday afternoon was always packed my brother Richie was having a works Xmas bash and one of the psycho bouncers beat him up badly in the foyer well drugs were coming in then and this bouncer was high as a kite, the other bouncers had to tackle him and he was sacked r kid put a claim in but got nowhere jimmy cricket the comedian with the wellies left and right was doing a show in the mayflower last week well what a come down well sadly theirs no where to go in bootle on a sat or Sunday for entertainment you have to go to town now or goTHE MELL INN CLUB SAT NIGHT had to get a plug in as im on the committee :P
Invicta

Best we ever saw there were Ronnie Dukes & Ricki Lee. Packed house whenever they were on and his version of My Yiddisha Momma had everyone crying :D Ken
henry

WatsonTommy wrote:i was in the next bed in fazackley hospital with john Allison and we got talking he told me Tommy cooper let him down he was always drunk, he said the acts managers wanted to much money i could not afford them so i gave it up Sunday afternoon was always packed my brother Richie was having a works Xmas bash and one of the psycho bouncers beat him up badly in the foyer well drugs were coming in then and this bouncer was high as a kite, the other bouncers had to tackle him and he was sacked r kid put a claim in but got nowhere jimmy cricket the comedian with the wellies left and right was doing a show in the mayflower last week well what a come down well sadly theirs no where to go in bootle on a sat or Sunday for entertainment you have to go to town now or goTHE MELL INN CLUB SAT NIGHT had to get a plug in as im on the committee :P
WHEN I WORKED IN THE MELLY THEY USED TO TAKE 6d Out of your wages for the upkeep of the club and were a automatic member of the club
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
fatboyjoe90

Allinsons Theatre Club in 2002,the club opened in July 1966 ,it was originally opened in 1939 as the Regal Cinema. It’s seen better days no wonder they knocked it down. :(

And this is what it looks like today. :wink:

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Tue May 24, 2016 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

A great improvement Joe. Presume it doesn't look over the tar factory these days. :wink: K
fatboyjoe90

Tesco Superstore, Litherland, is were the tar works used to be Ken. :wink:

Image Ken,you can see Allinsons Court in the background.
Cheers Joe.
WatsonTommy

its still a members club only a few of the original members left now
Invicta

Of course Joe, I remember, I filled up there before heading home after a funeral last year. K
filsgreen

Live performance has took a nosedive in direct correlation with the amount of pubs closing. Luckily there are still pubs putting on live bands like Stamps two and the Victoria in Waterloo.

It appears to me that people would prefer to get drunk on cheap spirits and cider prior to going out and then top up when out singing, I use that term lightly, to a karaoke machine. On the nights they are not out they're fed endless amounts of reality TV and Soaps, which are interspersed every hour with twenty minutes of mind numbing adverts.

Of course I am generalising here and there are exceptions, BBC4 and the Green Room springs to mind. But the problem I have is reconciling the fact that TV is getting dumbed down but the kids of today, on the whole, are getting a much improved education. Maybe brain dead TV and karaoke can co-exist with our better educated populace

Of course nothing lasts forever and things come and go. Just like our manufacturing industries are now replaced by service industries, brain dead TV and karaoke has replaced live theatre and music.

We're all doomed I tells ya. :-)

Phil
WatsonTommy

brook benton sang there a rainy night in georgia the bo weevil endlessly etc and freddie star was always on there
WatsonTommy

LOVELACE WATKINS the DALLAS BOYS and a comedy NUDE ACT DICKY AND DOTTY you kids on this web don't know what you missed henry might remember he went to school same time as me
Invicta

Hurricane Smith was always a good night and The Barren Knights. :D Ken
ALAMO2008

I saw regularly Little & Large, The Three Degrees, Tom O'Connor and when Ken Dodd was on, you thought you were never going home.
nicolas

I remember seeing most of those mentioned, others were Bobby Vee, Stuart Damon with full orchestra, remember him from "The Champions" (now aged 79)
I also frequented the Wooky Hollow, saw Norman Wisdom once, and once was enough, so disappointing!

From 1974
Invicta

Pretty sure I saw Johnny Ray there. He was very deaf. :wink: Ken
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I am so sure we saw Engelbert Humperdinck there, I went with my mum when I was roughly 21/22 years old, her choice not mine!! She was so upset thinking he was miming as the mic had a short cord leading from it, she thought it wasn't plugged in!! lol.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
BossHogg

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Allinsons Theatre Club in 2002, Opened in 1939 as the Regal Cinema. It’s seen better days no wonder they knocked it down. :(

I remember attending a few functions in the upstairs room in the building. I've also spent a few bob downstairs in Clouds! ;)
fatboyjoe90

I found this a couple of weeks ago BossHogg’s post has just remained me to post it.

SHOWBIZ stars are bidding a fond farewell to one of Merseyside's best-known cabaret clubs.

The former Allinsons Theatre Club in Litherland has now been demolished,marking the end of an era.

During its heyday in the 60s and 70s,Allinsons was one of the busiest city nightspots. The birthplace of dozens of stars,it formed one-third of the cabaret triangle of The Shakespeare in the city centre and the Wooky Hollow in West Derby.

Stars who have appeared at Allisons include Bob Monkhouse, Tom O'Connor,Frankie Vaughan, Val Doonican, The Crickets and singer Del Shannon.

The venue, which was converted into Secrets nightclub 13 years ago, also holds fond memories for Pete Price and Micky Finn.

For Micky, the memories are both personal and professional. Not only did the comedian play his first big gigs at Allinsons,he also met and married one of the barmaids, Hazel, and the couple now have two grownup sons.

He said: ``It felt like the London Palladium to me. I was quite keen to get hold of a brick and keep it as a memento of all those great times .''

Pete Price,now a Radio City DJ, said: ``I ran The Shakespeare. One night Dorothy Squires was playing for us but left her bra at Allinsons. I had to drive all the way there to get it or she wouldn't goon!''

A Sefton council spokesman said: ``The site has the potential to be redeveloped as residential, which will vastly improve the whole area.''

FACT FILE

Was previously Regal Cinema and bowling alley.

It opened as Allinsons in July 1966, when club owner John Allinson bought it. John died aged 60 in 1978. The legendary compere was Al Nolan.

A typical list of attractions at Allinsons, between October and December 1975, featured the following stars: Val Doonican; The Chimes; Dustin Gee; Del Shannon; Searchers; Black Abbots and crooner Tony Christie.

It closed its doors in March 1983 after attendances fell.

A completely refurbished Secrets opened in 1990 but had a chequered history of conflict with police and residents. :( :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Dan

Bill Haley and His Comets played Allinson's March 3rd to 9th 1974.

The Searchers played December 21st to 27th 1975.
Tommy L

I have a few good memories of nights at Allinsons Theatre Club.
Bob Monkhouse was as sharp as a razor blade and had the women ducking in case he picked on them.......very funny but also quite abrasive at times. Yana [ remember her ? ] got me up on stage with her in a spoof ''Climb Up The Garden Wall '' song...........I was fascinated by her downy moustache . !!......Arrived early one night to get a good spec for Tommy Cooper.........he was well over an hour late and the audience was getting very irate.......he finally appeared...............sweating profusely............gave one of his silly laughs.............and was immediately forgiven !............just so sorry i missed Bill Haley and the Comets...........didnt even know he appeared till I read it here ?.............I still have the kiss curl [ I wish ] :roll:
Dan

Possibly some of the missing photos from this thread.

Echo September 1974

1980s Secrets

The Wispa

Earlier incarnations

June 29 1939 - July 28 1962 Regal Cinema

Bowling Alley January 26 1963 to approx.1965

Last edited by Dan on Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddy Lloyd

Had some great nights there with the exception of Danny Williams who was high as a kite, big disappointment.
ScouseNotEnglish

Worked there for many years (mostly during high school) Me, Dom, Melly, Scott n others practically ran the place for yrs (Both secrets n Allisons function room at the time) under Maureen? my brother n mate Kenny before me. I used to bunk off school fridays to take dray delivery from me ald man who worked for Carlsberg-Tetley at the time. The stories those walls held... Doormen where bat-**** crazy, only ones i remember where Nigel?
Chicken in a basket was still an institution up til i left. Knew every inch of tha place. Good times.
Dan

Whoever it was mustn't have wanted to go.

Dan

It's easier than scrolling through the posts.

Gardner 180

Hi Dan, My wife Margaret and I have fond memories of Allinsons and several other entertainment venues on Merseyside.
Wooky Hollow, Russells, & Empire Theatre spring to mind. Our main reason for visiting these places was because of our
involvement with singer Tony Christie. From 1974 and for the next 20 years, we operated "The Tony Christie Fan Club " on
a worldwide basis. I have attached a picture of me and Margaret and Tony, taken backstage at Wakefield Theatre Club in
October 1976, it was our 10th wedding anniversary. Occasionally I would do a bit of work for Tony, driving him to venues,
working spotlights or stagelights in clubs and theatres. Sometimes when Tony was doing one-night shows in the Northwest,
e.g. Empire in Liverpool, Guildhall in Preston, King Georges Hall in Blackburn, instead of driving home, 2 hours late at night,
he would come and stay for a couple of nights with us. I have also attached a picture of Margaret sat in Tonys local pub in
Sutton Coldfield in 1990, Sadly, Margaret passed away earlier this year. Tonys wonderful voice was heard at her Funeral
service singing " Never say Auf Wiedersehn ". I hope the attached pictures come out OK. Best wishes, Ray Smyth.
filsgreen

Thanks for posting your memories, Ray, I'm sorry to hear about your wife passing.