Strand Road Fire Station - Bootle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Shelagh

Davy,, had no idea you're mother had twelve,, how on earth did she manage, must have been so difficult for her...
As kids we would go and look at the horse on the field by you're house, sometimes it would
be there, but more often than not it would be missing,,
Would that be when you were out riding it Davey ha!
Shelagh K.
efc46

Hi shelagh me dad was married 3 times his first wife died when our georgey was only a babby then he married me mam 7 more thats 10 then when i was 6 or 7 me mam and dad split he remarried 2 more I never had any time for his third wife (still dont) it was hard but we all grew up tougher for it /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
bboardman

Hi Davey Your family sounds so similar to mine.My parents had 11 kids,and I was number 10.We lived at 96 Marsh Lane and my eldest brother Robert,"Spike" Boardman married a lady called Rosie Rowlands and she lived in Chestnut Grove-any relation to you?I think I know you.In the 60s was your local the Salisbury Pub and were you drinking with the Porters who lived across from the pub ?--Billy
efc46

Hi Billy I did drink in the Solly it was Terry Riley who lived opposite the Solly (next to the raggy) the Porters lived on the lane you must be around the same age as me you seam to know lads I knew Rosie Rowlands no relation /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
bboardman

Davey- you are so right it was the Riley family.I played darts with the Rileys and Porters in the Solly during the 60s.All you guys sat by the window at the front of the dart board.Davey,who was that big guy with only one good eye who played brilliant darts.I'm sure he was a Porter or a Riley?--Billy
efc46

Hi billy I could be wrong but micky kelly was a really good dart player he was from Southey st. he was a good laugh we were playing in the Solly ( in the group) one saturday night singing "here we go loop the loop" mickey started doing hand stand fell back on to Ma Cunningham,s( betting shop owner) table full of shorts he had no money to replace the round the manager tried to kick him out every one in the parlour said leave micky alone so he did/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
GavinB

GavinB

GavinB

Dan

GavinB wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:24 pm
Photos enlarged,

miv donelan

Dan, I've just read your post on James Barwood and it brought back sad memories of that time. I was a pupil at St Mary's school alongside Mr Barwoods daughter Lillian, who was my close friend. I still remember Mr Jones, our headmaster, coming into class to tell us about the accident. My father was a fireman at Bootle station, and when I arrived home I could hear him crying, my mam was trying to quieten him. My seventeen year old brother had died as the result of a cycle accident and my dad just went to pieces over James dying as well. Lillian was offered a scholarship through the Royal Navy, I don't know if it was accepted. I never saw her again after that, she didn't come back to school, but I've often thought of her and her family.
Miv
efc46

that is a sad tale/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
NWKEYS1980

henry wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Today, the building stands empty although part of it seems to be in industrial use.
Hi Henry, the building is definitely not empty :) NW Keys Ltd have occupied the building since 2003 as trade security supplier with our retail Locksmiths moving into the premises in 2006. I am enjoying reading about the history of the site/building and will soon be popping a timeline article on our social media sites.

fatboyjoe90

Bankhall Fire Station, 1971.

Cheers Joe.
efc46

hi every one this is a very good site although i,v been gone for many years have gone by every time read the stories my mind drifts back to Marsh lane my best mate Terry Riley still lives there we are 76 years young now still phone each other he says all our mates ave fell off the perch I still think of Bootle thanks again bootle bloggers Davey Rowlands
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

From the 1898 Academy Architecture and Architectural Review

Bootle Fire Station

efc46

hi billy think I do remember Rosie Rowlands(no relation ) i could be wrong I think she lived next to the woody in chestnut grove there was another entrance in a street off The lane Iwent to school with Davey Brady from chestnut grove terry Riley Phoned me with the sad news davey B passed away this year I was 21 when I left the weather BRRRR still think of the way it was terry says every one has fell off the perch we must have known each other as we all did my mind wunders back to Marsh Lane I often think of Mick(ugga) Hughes murder he was from Talbut street (i think) me an terry bumped into his dad in the jollys he had a tear in his eyes an said if mick was here now he would would be havin a bevvy with us life is sad at times Davey Rowlands
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

From the Hays Free Press (USA) December 9 1920

I think Sansfield Lane ought to read Sandfield Road.
Dan

Delivered to Bootle Fire Brigade, Merseyside, in 1957, one of the Bedford SL machines fitted with a Magirus ladder.

Dinky Toys produced a model of this style of machine.

The scroll legend on the doors was unique to Bootle’s fire engines.
Dan

Bootle Times April 15 1904

An account of the opening of the Strand Road Fire Station, and some of the history of the inception of the fire service in Bootle.

Full page

Dan

Bootle Times January 25 1990

Boole Fire Station in the 1920's.

Reply; Bootle Times February 8 1990