An errand you can no longer go on

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
maureen howell

:D :D Hi Folks
When I was about 12 years old,my cousin and I used to get sent up to Stanley Road and sent to a chemist next to Stanley Hospital.My Grandmother used to have a bad stomach so we would get on a bus and off we would go.My Grandmother used to want a soda water syphon.This was a large glass bottle with a silver pump on the side.They were quite expensive,but,you could take the empty bottle back and get re-embursed.I can't tell you if it did any good but just think you can now buy soda water in shops.....
When I was 15 I had to make the most hated trip to Scotland Road to a large emporium on the right hand side of Scotland Road heading towards town.This shop mended false teeth amongst many other things.When you went into the shop and handed your dad's false teeth in a paper to the thin man in the white coat who always seemed to be serving in the shop.He would open the paper....look at the broken false teeth....and start shouting at me!!!He would shout "These teeth have been in bleach"and "Why do you put them in bleach?"I couldn't answer as I didn't know.....sooooo....red faced and hot I would leave the shop.I hated going there.
Do any of you have memories like this'I would love to hear them.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
scotty

Mum used to send me to the butchers for bones for the dog.Funny thing is, we never had a dog but we had great soup that night.
All gave some
Some gave all
Invicta

My Grandad would send me to Dooleys in Brookhill Road for four penny worth of ar@eholes.
Don't know what I came back with but they knew what he meant :lol: K
oriel55

My dad became very ill and soda water helped as he could no longer drink anything else without being affected. The local publican in the Windham Hotel, Mr Beggs, used to provide him with free bottles of soda water in the old-type syphon bottle. I have never forgotten his kindness.
oriel55

I used to be sent to The Chandler's shop in Irlam Road, just over Coffee House Bridge, on the left amongst the old shops long gone. I had to get a can filled with paraffin for our paraffin stove/heater. The can was filled from a tank located in the shop window area! (Health & Safety would go mad at such practices today!) The paraffin was pumped into the can by hand.
maureen howell

Hi Folks

My grandmother was partial to a "pinch" of snuff ,sooooo we were sent to either Kirk St or Seaforth Street to buy an ounce of "Fine Irish" snuff.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
Bill fawcett

Hi,
I was always sent to the garage for an accumulator for the radio. Happy days.

Bill
henry

I never went on errands but went on plenty of messages :lol:
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
bob. b

My granddad would say to me go to Mr King { Joe King } and give him this at the end of the day my granddad would give me threepence.
Some days l would get nothing why :wink: :wink: :wink:
But on a Saturday l could get a tanner :D :D :D
Shelagh

Went on plenty of them Henry, one of them was to run up the entry in Shelly Street, knock on someone's back door and hand my dads bet over to a man sitting on the seat of outside lavatory,, not only that,, (also had to remember the "nom de plume") all betting was illegal
at that time, so no real names given! Never had to go and collect the winnings though, that was one errand/message my dad was more than happy do for himself.
Also remember the time my friend and I struggled with a very large jug of "Stout" from the "Solly" it was for her dad ( must have been some sort of arrangement or something, as I don't remember any questions or money changing hands) we were only about ten or eleven....it was so heavy, think we must have spilt most of it down Marsh Lane!!
Elaine Goulding

Maureen, you had me in stitches when I read about you handing over the false teeth....happy days!!!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
PeterR

Maureen and Elaine, Talking about false teeth---My Dad Had all his teeth out and got complete new upper and lower set, That cost him (I remember) 12 pounds, that was over 2 weeks wages then,--Poor Dad died 3 weeks later--in Jan 1945, after the funeral at Ford Cemetary all my Aunties and Uncles were trying the teeth hoping they might fit , Mam was furious as His insurance didn't cover the teeth, they lay in the drawer on the sideboard for years, smiling up at You whenever you opened it. :)
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Elaine Goulding

Peter, soooo funny, only scousers would fight over a dead persons false teeth!!!
Elaine

Sonoma

Peter my dad had false teeth too and would occasionally put them down somewhere in the house, perhaps on a chair
Quite a shock to the system if you happened to sit on that chair - scarred for life !
tudno boy

Six years old, empty schofields bottle in hand, off to the snug at Rotchfords, to get a gill of bitter for my dad.
Lucyjay

maureen howell wrote:Hi Folks

My grandmother was partial to a "pinch" of snuff ,sooooo we were sent to either Kirk St or Seaforth Street to buy an ounce of "Fine Irish" snuff.
Take Care
Maureen
I used to go to Alice Derbyshire's, around the corner from Kirk St, for snuff for my 2 great aunties. If I remember rightly, I think I used to get a bit of 'Kendal?' with it.
Born in Kirk Street, brought up in Bootle
Elaine Goulding

May sound like a silly question, what is snuff! I realise you obviously sniff it, however what was it's purpose? Some say they preferred the Irish snuff and one person mentioned Kendal, so it must have come in different smells/varieties! I think my grandfather used it but I have no one to ask anymore. It must have been pretty popular stuff as it is mentioned a lot. Was it sold in a jar, tin, paper and by weight???? Just curious
Elaine

fatboyjoe90

Elaine,Snuff is a form of finely ground smokeless tobacco,and was predominantly enjoyed by the English aristocracy of the 18th century. It is an arguably healthier alternative to smoking for the user, and undeniably healthier for those in your company as you are not subjecting them to second-hand smoke while snuffing nasal snuff. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Elaine Goulding

Thank you Joe, you learn something new every day! All these years I have often wondered what it was, can you still buy it?
Elaine

fatboyjoe90

Here you go Elaine, happy snorting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.snuff.me.uk/
Cheers Joe.
Glenys

Taking an empty bottle to get filled with 'Aunt Sally' - Stanley Road, near junction with Park Street..
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Elaine Goulding

Glenys remember Aunt Sally, it was perfect for making bubbles with a piece of wire. Entertained me for hours!!
Elaine

Elaine Goulding

Joe, I have read that link on snuff and could not believe the other stuff you can get like the chewing tobacco. Wow, I am definitely snorted out after reading that lot!! I can honestly say I have never heard of anyone chewing tobacco eeeew
Elaine

fatboyjoe90

Elaine, thanks for your reply glad you liked that link,
You say you’ve never heard of anyone chewing tobacco, I don’t know how old (I wouldn’t be that discourteous to ask a lady her age)
But as a young girl didn’t you ever watch any cowboy films because that’s most of them did and spit it out.
Cheers Joe.
Matt

Hi Elaine and Joe,what those baseball players are spitting out is Snoose or Snus.
Its fine tobacco but you do not chew it you place a wad of it on your lower lip between the gum and teeth.Very popular
amongst loggers and sawmill workers as you cannot take "smoke breaks" More popular on the West Coast of N.America
as we had a lot of Scandinavian loggers and it's a Swedish/Norwegian way of getting your nicotine fix.Disgusting habit especially when
you have to work next to a snoose user and he is spitting out nicotine very couple of minutes :evil:
Matt
Elaine Goulding

Matt/Joe.........eeew eeew eeew!!!! Those pictures are gross! Joe, I am 66 years old and I do remember cowboy films but never knew they chewed that crap. Clint Eastwood was a favourite of mine (Rowdy Yates in Wagon Train) you have just ruined my image of him YUCK!!!!!!!
Elaine

Bootle Lad

Remember going to the Booky in the jigger behind the Winnie to put a bet on for my Dad with the money wrapped up in a piece of paper, I opened it up one day and read it, a shilling each way on some horse, I was only about ten at the time, and innocently asked my dad did the horse have run there and back, he must have pissed himself laughing after I had gone
Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
filsgreen

You can't go for five Woodies or a packet of Beech Nut chewing gum anymore.