Food again

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
IanA

There have been loads of posts about food that we ate when times were hard but I have a question. When growing up in the '50s in Keats Street, I remember eating pig's belly (NOT belly pork!). It was grey, wrinkled and rubbery. You ate it cold, sprinkled with vinegar and it was quite good. I've never seen this mentioned before. Was it just an hallucination brought on by a surfeit of scouse or does anyone else remember this delicacy?

Ian
Joycen60

Are you thinking of Tripe?
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
IanA

Abso-bloomin-lutely not!!
Invicta

Yes I remember it Ian. Can't say I would relish it again. K
henry

Still sell it in the butchers in the strand and a lot of people still buy it
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Eddy Lloyd

Loved it with vinegar and pepper :)
IanA

So I wasn't making it up! :)

Nice to know it's still going and I think I would definitely try it again. Kids in those days would eat anything they were given - "If you don't eat it now you'll get it cold tomorrow for your breakfast".
lily8

I was thinking of pigs cheeks by the description :oops: I remember all the pork butchers back then hard to find one these days.
Lily
mckenna

pigs feet trotters all from the chipy Saturday night after the pub i don/t think they sell them
now. George
g mckenna
mckenna

pigs feet trotters all from the chipy Saturday night after the pub i don/t think they sell them
now. George
g mckenna
mckenna

now. George
g mckenna
mckenna

now. George
g mckenna
jetjockey

Loved Pigs Belly got it from a butcher on Strand Road Tripe was to me as it's name suggest but my Father loved it

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
dorothy834

Hi George...I see you have 4posts..
Is that because there was usually
One trotter on each corner :)
Back to the question..
It does fit the description of tripe...
Sends shudders down my spine to think of it
Come to think of it was'nt tripe from cows belly?.

Dorothy
dorothy834
jetjockey

dorothy834 wrote:Hi George...I see you have 4posts..
Is that because there was usually
One trotter on each corner :)
Back to the question..
It does fit the description of tripe...
Sends shudders down my spine to think of it
Come to think of it was'nt tripe from cows belly?.

Dorothy
Sheep I believe Dot

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
Invicta

Tripe is mostly from beef but can be from other animals. It is taken from the first three parts of a cows stomach. Actually I liked tripe raw with vinegar but not pigs belly. K
mckenna

Sorry about the four posts thing of all that food we use to have, even the bfish cakes we
got from the the chipy were better also what about pigs tails loverly jubbly food today is not the same now. George
g mckenna
henry

They were furlongs fish cakes
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
IanA

Tripe was white (they actually bleach it) and from a cow's stomach. What we had was a pig's stomach - not all jelly-like and full of craters but looked just as disgusting in its way. I enjoyed it as I did brawn. I only had a pig's trotter once and I liked it but it stuck my lips together. The fish cakes from the chippy in Gower Street were fantastic - not actually sure how much fish they had in them but that was fine by me.
Invicta

My Mother would often cook a pigs head - boiled for brawn, pressed cheek etc. Also remember it being roasted. Mum worked in Cooksons and gave the slops to the piggeries on the canal bank and when slaughter day came along she was given all the "odd bits"
Friday night fry up was always fantastic after a few pints. :shock:
Now where's me Statins ? :lol: K
IanA

We couldn't run to a pig's head but sheep's head broth was good - unless you lifted the pan lid to see the poor old sheep meeting your gaze...

I now fancy deep-fried pigs' tails.
Elaine Goulding

Ian, I remember pigs belly and tripe, absolutely loved both of them. Lots of salt, pepper and vinegar. I remember bringing my soon-to-be husband back to our house after a few drinks in the pub. Mum put a plate of pigs belly down to him, when she left and went back into the kitchen, Tom looked at the plate in horror "What in the name of god is that" !!!!! It goes without saying he could not eat it. I haven't had tripe or pigs belly in years. Another thing I used to like, stuffed lamb hearts......yummy
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
IanA

Glad I stirred a few memories, Elaine. I suppose pig's belly would look a bit daunting if you'd never had it before but we were brought up on it. I wonder what it cost in the '50s? As for stuffed lambs' hearts - the food of the gods!