Old photos

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
lynne99

I noticed in a recent post that Jan had found a photo, from the air, of a mill. Can any one help me find old photos of some long gone streets.
1) 5 Park Lane Aintree, near its junction with A 59, Ormskirk road ??
2) 318 Westminster Rd Kirkdale; I don't even know which end of the road it was. :oops:
3) possibly the most difficult. Gascoyne Street Liverpool. This is now all industry, but it used to be housing at least up to 1932 when my mum was married from there. They lived at 34 and the family had lived in that street since at least 1851 :) I believe it used to be quite rough then, but my Grandma did not want to go when it was compulsorily purchased :cry:

Any help please, thanks
Jan

Hi Lynne,

Sorry I can't help with any photo's.

There is a photo of Gascoyne Street at Liverpool RO, but I think it may only show a bit of the street, this is from their website giving a description of the photo.

Ref No 352 ENG/2/16746
Title Damaged Pavement, Gascoyne Street
Description A photograph of the damaged pavement on Gascoyne Street.
Date 15/02/1957
Level Item
Copyright The copyright of the photograph belongs to Liverpool City Council. Permission to reproduce photograph must be obtained from Liverpool Record Office.
Access_Conditions Access will be granted to any accredited reader

318 Westminster Road is the Kirkdale Station end of the road near Aldams Grove.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Matt

Hi Lynne just to add a little more to your Westminister Road question.317 was about one block away
from Wessy Road school just about opposite Kirkdale Homes the Melrose Road end.
My dear wife Sheila used to live in 307 Westminister Road after she emigrated from Southey
Street Bootle to Kirkdale :lol:
Matt
lynne99

Thanks Matt and Jan. I knew I could rely on you good folks to help. I'll keep my fingers crossed for photos.
Joycen60

Hi Lynne,

There was a photo posted on here a long time ago of the junction of Park Lane and Ormskirk Road and I think it showed the houses to the left. I will try to find it later when I have a bit of time. I would have replied to this post as this was very close to where I was brought up so that might make it a bit easier to find.

Joyce
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
lynne99

Thanks Joy, That's very exciting :D
Joycen60

Lynne I have put a message in the Topic Old cottage at Aintree station as the photos there were the ones I was thinking about. Didn't know how to just get the photos. It should now be back to the top of the list. Joyce
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
BOBHAMO

river merseys photos
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lynne99

Thanks Joy and Bobhamo. A virtual hug for you both :D :D
Bobhamo, which direction are the photos looking?? towards the A59 or away from it??
Joycen60

Lynne, The first one away from it and the second towards it..Even numbers were on same side as station as my Aunt lived at number 10 and my Grandmother at 32 or 4. J.
lynne99

My family lived at number 5.
As you came (turned in ) from the main road it was on the left before the railway. So I think that the second photo shows it on the right the road, middle of the photo. A dark building is how I remember it.
Joycen60

My Dad worked in the signal box opposite the station next to the houses I bet he could see into the Garden of your family home!
lynne99

That would be right. It was right next to the railway.