Famous Bootle Ragmen

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
robinroyle

Hello from Poland.

I'm the latest owld Buck on the block, I think, having registered earlier today.
And, amazingly, having been for a haircut followed by a pint or two in the old town square here in Wroclaw, I got talking to a Scots bloke who told me that his best mate ever was the son of a former Bootle 'scrap metal dealer', i.e. a ragman.

He didn't tell me his mate's name, but it would be great if I could shock him next time I see him.

So, can you tell me the names of Bootle rag and bone merchants of old?

I seem to remember Puddifer's (?) and Packies (?) (nickname) who were round Strand Road way (St. Mary's Road??).

Thanks, and best wishes from Poland.

Robin
Marie777

WELCOME, Robin As you are about to learn here you will find a happy helpful bunch of B.B's
What about RIFKIN I know he was just over the border in Kirkdale but I think he had another place in Bootle Another name that bring to mind the ragman,, (i remember saying that once in St. Phillies dance"pull yourself together here's the rag man" ) Lewis,Jimmy Lewis used to go to the Orrell Park Ballroom his Dad was a scrap metal man. Hope that is of some use.
Marie
Marie777

Sorry Robin I should have said you are in the wrong section to get the information you require . Maybe MACK will MOVE you
Marie
whacker66

Hi...maybe packenhams....known local as packies....hope thats not racist....
Peter
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveowe

Hi Robin

Welcome to the site, there was as I recall a Daulbys rag and scrap metal dealer. Have just looked at a 1971 Bootle directory under miscellaneous all the following traded in ferrous and non-ferrous metals L. Rifkin, T.J. Lewis and Sons, G. Murphy and Sons, J.D.Spencer and Co and Thomas W. Ward and Co. Puddifers was a motor car dismantler always went there for your car spares. Plenty for you to roll off to your friend.

daveowe
ron waters

ROBYN Welcome to this very freindly site , you are bound to get plenty of help on here , Peter Woolley might be able to help you as he always bought his clothes off the rag man .
Enjoy yourself .
Ron
harmo

as stated by peter craig, there was a mitchells yard. it was in berry street, by the [wide entry] he was eddie mitchell, and he had a son also eddie,hope this helps. harmo.
margaret willee

Welcome Robyn ... sorry don't know any rag and bone man , I have clothes my husband calls rags , Margaret ,
have a great day .......
ron waters

MARGARET I was thinking of Red Ron again and his quick responses , I
would'nt have got away with my reply about the rag man and Peter Woolleys clothes would I [ sigh ] .
Ron
BOBHAMO

io
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

delate
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Wed May 07, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter W

JUST WATCH IT WATERS! Remembers who and what I know. I could shatter any credibility you have on this site.

If you want a slanging match you can have one!!!!!!!!!

XPC.
ron waters

DONT BE LOSING YOUR RAG PETER I am just glad you have woken up .
ttfn Ron
Patricia Simpson

Don't forget the ragman from Salisbury Road, 'Riley's'. If you took your rags and dampened the middle of bundle you could get a penny more off the weighing scales:oops: also the half-pennies off the jamjars helped to get into the sat morn pics at the Gainy. Also there was the old fellow from Bibbies Lane, Jack? but never found where his yard was, he would ride around on his horse and cart with rags ect on back of cart and stop and sit outside our house knowing mam would soon give him mug of tea to move him on. Pat
Peter W

I suppose WATER'S you will be having RAG-A-Tooee for tea.
ron waters

Once A Copper always A Copper a WOOLLEY , still using SURNAMES .
RONALD
margaret willee

hahahah you 2 back on form .... margaret .
have a great day .......
margaret willee

Bob the picture could be my gran's brother he was a rang and bone man ... had a shop on Stanley road by Marsh lane .....

Were did the name come from . ?????
Margaret

:D :D :D
have a great day .......
Peter W

I believe you are changing your name so I cannot get at you.

Your new name you have chosen is ERNIE O'Diron.

peter.
Bernie R

Puddifer's had a scrap yard at the bottom of Romeo Street.

We lost many a ball over that wall when having a kick about - nearly every time we went to ask for it back the following day we were told that the dog (a huge oil covered alsatian that scared the life out of us!) had got it; I reckon the lads in the yard were running a car booty selling footballs!!

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
peawack39

Packenham's yard was on the canal bank in Ashcroft St, near to Coffee House bridge, I think.
rjkellet

hi all ,this thread brought back memories ,us kids went knocking on doors , for woolens n took them to the ragman in berry street , our local ragman came down the entry ,behind kings rd , rattling plates n shouting at the top of his voice , can still see his scrawny little horse even now ,we got 2 goldfish n kept them in a trebor sweet jar for ages , por little b s ,regards jan
Rob and Jan Kellett,Morrinsville,New Zealand
dannylewis

whacker66 wrote:Hi...maybe packenhams....known local as pa ckies....hope thats not racist....
i used to live at the back of packies in bank cottages
dorothy834

DannyLewis....hi when did you live in Bank cottages my grand parents lived in number 2 the name was Holliwell....
dorothy834
diyman

georgie black , was a scrap metal and anything els he could make money out of, he started with the horse and cart, he had his yard at the back of hormby boullevard,
dose any one remember him, he lived in litherland
Eddy Lloyd

Welcome Robin My uncle Tommy (PEDLAR) Lloyd was a rag and bone man riding around on his horse and cart he lived in Litherland.
tommygun

those rag men they had opera voices u could hear them streets away they were born before there time you could put any of them on the musicals and xfactor (rags rags anynnnnnny old rags what powerfull voices you could not tell them anything about antiques john gooley his father was a rag man lived in brooke road john brought in to school (st james marsh lane.napoleon swords muskets german bayonets and all sorts of 2nd world war gear we were only kids and john brought them ias toys we were running around the play ground enacting our local heroes peter karney the headmaster cofiscated the lot not to be see again we all got the of the cane 6 0f the best
smhel6

i lived in grogan sq bootle and i remember the ragman coming there,and his name was johnny and i remember when he was there one day ,he had an accident and ripped his hand open.
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron

daveowe wrote:Hi Robin

Welcome to the site, there was as I recall a Daulbys rag and scrap metal dealer. Have just looked at a 1971 Bootle directory under miscellaneous all the following traded in ferrous and non-ferrous metals L. Rifkin, T.J. Lewis and Sons, G. Murphy and Sons, J.D.Spencer and Co and Thomas W. Ward and Co. Puddifers was a motor car dismantler always went there for your car spares. Plenty for you to roll off to your friend.

daveowe
James Moorcroft

FORGOT TO MENTION EDDIE MITCHELLS BERRY ST JUST BEORE MILLERS BRIDGE DONE A BIT OF SCULLDUGARY THERE AS WELL,EXPLANATION OVER A PINT.HOPE YOU ARE BOTH WELL.JIM
john james ingham

p. simpson. that was not reilys they lived next door to daulbys. john.
surestart

harmo wrote:as stated by peter craig, there was a mitchells yard. it was in berry street, by the [wide entry] he was eddie mitchell, and he had a son also eddie,hope this helps. harmo.
Mitchells moved from Berry street to somewhere off Brasenose rd, I remember lumping a sack of rags down there :)
Ed Davies

Seem to remember visiting Ted's yard in the railway arches at the bottom of Sandhills.
Ted Mitchell was my uncle wonderful man no longer with us rest his soul
Ed