New book about Bootle by Hugh Hollinghurst

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
timbolton

Review: “Bootle through time” by Hugh Hollinghurst

During the summer I had the good fortune to attend a fascinating talk by the wonderful Hugh Hollinghurst about Bootle. He has followed up his talk by publishing a book focused on Bootle history called “Bootle through time” and I thoroughly recommend his book to the people on here.

The photos and maps in the book are gorgeous, some taken from archives across Sefton and others from Hugh himself. For the most part the book takes the format of past and present, so on each page is an archive photo comparing and contrasting with a modern photo. The text accompanying the photos is insightful and very informative. You can tell Hugh loves researching and writing about Bootle.

As some of you know, I am continuing to research the history of Hugh Baird College in my spare time and that I work in the college library. There are some great pictures of the college’s predecessor, Bootle Technical School, and the area around the college. These were of great interest to me. But there is much more to read about and see.

It’s a great look into our past (and present), the photos and accompanying text bring the area to life and make me just want to walk round exploring Bootle again. I’m till reading through it at the moment.

It’s published by Amberley Books. You can find more information about the book by clicking here.
Definitely one to cherish and re-read!

-- Tim Bolton
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Looks a very interesting book Tim, I have found it and downloaded it to my Kindle £6.70p!! Thanks for letting us all know about it, I am sure many will be wanting to read it.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Hugh Hollinghurst

[attachment=2]Introduction Map.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]Introduction Map.jpg[/attachment]Thank you, Tim, for your kind remarks about my book Bootle Through Time. Unfortunately, because of slipshod editing by Amberley Publishing, some major errors appeared in print (I was not allowed to see the final proof). The map referred to in the introduction was omitted so I attach it here, as was the modern image on page 26 (also attached). On page 32 the wrong inset was inserted so I attach that too. The insets on pages 40 and 92 have been slapped on top of items described in the text (the trains and car) so you will have to use your imagination!
Hugh Hollinghurst.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks for the info Hugh, will make a note of them!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
lynne99

Thanks, I have ordered the book, so will print out the attachments and glue. Thanks
maureen howell

:D :D Hi Folks
I was one of the first people to sit O levels at the new Hugh Baird College.It opened in September and I took exams in November.I did very well too!
The author does not mention Roberts Drive School where O level classes were taken 4 days a week for mature students prior to the opening of the Hugh Baird.
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
Mack
Site Admin

Great to hear the book is now getting feedback on our Bootle Forum :D

Hugh and the publishing team recently contacted me about the book. Looking forward to more feedback here from our Bootle members :)

Mack :D
Allen Jones

Maureen of Lydiate has a good point. Roberts Drive was after all the forerunner of St George of England and deserves mention in any historical publication about our town. Having said that I look forward to reading Hughs book. Allen.
Ron King

Just downloaded it from the iBook shop. Cost $A9.99.
At a quick look through it seems great.
Ron
BOBHAMO

Well published Book though most of the photos have been around for years
i was hoping for interesting new facts as most of the articules can be found in other bootle books
but as a factual photo book it does show some changes
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bonesy

the book has been featured in this weeks champion

Keith
Mack
Site Admin

Yep!

Seen it in the Champion earlier today :)

Mack
Hugh Hollinghurst

I am signing copies of 'Bootle Through Time' in Pritchard's bookshop, Moor Lane, Crosby next Saturday 18th October at 11 am. Hope to see you there!

Hugh Hollinghurst.
WatsonTommy

hugh on site members are trying to find out about the right of way going dooown chapel st (derby rd bootle ) across the dock road throigh the dock gate and to the waterfront which was oncce a public right of way could you throw any light on this please thanks tommy
bob. b

Have just ordered it from Blackwells in Liverpool