Marsh Lane 40s/50sW

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Marie777

Thanks Jim, well done, keep it coming,
Marie
JULIA ARROWSMITH

NO JIM SORRY NOT A TWIN JUST THAT MY MAM HAD TWO OF US CLOSE TOGETHER IS IT YOU THAT HAS THE DOG OR YOUR BROTHER LOVELY BLACK AND WHITE PIT BULL USE TO SEE HIM IN THE PARK EARLY OF A MORNING . I REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE ALL GROWING UP KICK THE CAN AND KNOCK KNOCK ALL THE KIDS IN THE STREET GOT ON REALLY WELL. OUR MAM WAS OFFERED THE HOUSE ON THE END TO LIVE IN WHEN SHE MOVED FROM GRAY STREET,.REFUSED IT AND MOVED TWO DOORS AWAY FROM IT KENNY WILLIAMS AND HIS FAMILY ENDED UP LIVING THERE
julia arrowsmith
big dave

deleted
Last edited by big dave on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big dave
daveowe

Welcome back Big Dave and Happy New Year!! hope you are feeling much better health wise. Great to hear your news on the memories writings as I am sure many will be eager to digest your tales of growing up in the 40/50s.

Best wishes Dave
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy Lloyd

Had my hair cut in Mick the Barbers Knowsley Road this morning and was chatting to Jim Brady about the site and Big Dave was mentioned in dispatches. :D
matt wethered

About time Big Dave,Marie777 and I have had our two wheelers all ready to go for ages.
Wonderful to see you posting again.That bottle of champagne cognac is still nearly full waiting for you.
Matt
Marie777

At last WELCOME BACK, have you any idea how many times we asked where you were. I've got a right cob on with you but I enjoy your stories so much I will have to let you off, with a stern warning not to go AWOL again.Looking forward to reading more Bootle memoirs Take Care Big Fellow happy to know you are OK.
Marie
margaret willee

nice your back B/Dave ......... Margaret.
have a great day .......
Daveart

Welcome back Big Dave, I enjoy reading your stories and look forward to reading many more.
Not a Marsh Lane person my self but knew many people who lived in and around the area.
Dave.
Born and lived in Worcester Road, from 1944-1966.
big dave(mark two)

Thank
Last edited by big dave(mark two) on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes
Big Dave
Marie777

Thank God for that, I saw the newest member was big dave (mark two) and I thought, oh the poor fellow has started talking to himself Just joking mate. The book is a success before it gets published we will all be waiting to buy it, does this mean we won't be going to Blackpool after all, can I sell my bike.???
Take it easy Big Guy
Marie
bboardman

Hiya Big Dave--What a thrill,turned on my computor tonight to see your name on a post,Great to have you HOME again.I don't care what they call you you're welcome in my humble abode any day--Very BEST wishes ---Billy
bboardman

Hey Jim---I lived in Marsh Lane opposite Shelley St,reading your posts-and like Big Dave-you have a wonderful memory,I have been trying to track my very first girlfriend called Maureen Gilbert who lived in those prefabs halfway up Southey St in the late 50s-early 60s .When I knew her she would have been 15-19 years of age.She worked at Littlewoods in Irlam Rd.If you can recall her or any info about her I really would appreciate it---Cheers Billy
Kathy John Moorcroft

Welcome back big dave 2, great to see you posting again,
I hope you can still share a memory or two,
my morning cuppa has not been the same.. :lol:

Well done Jim Brady, some good tales there, more please..

KATHY..
jim brady

iHi Dave,
I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better and you are now back
able to contrbute to this good site that you started.
As you know I came from the Peel Rd. end of Shelley St.most of the stuff you have written about is the Marsh Lane end.
I've had two go's at putting a couple of stories on about things that
happened down our end and after writing quite a few pages the blinking
thing disappeared off my screen,here go's another try.
We've had stories about outside toilets,this one concerns the stable
where we used to bundle the wood.The roof had collapsed on the stable
so wooden beams and canvass was put in its place that meant that we could get through canvass onto the surounding wall which was still in place.We always had escape routs to get out of the stable if the owner came.We often thought one way out would be through the canvass onto the top wall and jump onto the toilet roof across the entry in Tennyson St.
it was quite a height and would take a bit of bottle.
One day Paddy Riley came on the scene (His brother Joey)owened
it at the time we were all looking for a way out and Paddy was lashing fullsize house bricks at us.We all got out John Valentine was the last one
in there. We were all on the back entry walls in Tennyson St. John Val
appeared on the top wall of the stable looking down on the toilet roof his
only escape rout.We were all shouting jump Valley jump,John would crouch down arms swinging at his side stand back up and take a breath
and crouch again in the mean time we are still shouting for him to jump.
He did jump and disappeared right through the bloody toilet roof.
It was so funny to watch because as he was going down he was grabbing at fresh air just like you see in the cartoons.
I'l post this one and write another one just in case I loose it.[/b]
jim brady,shelley st.
marielou

Jim, that is so funny, I can picture this John trying to jump.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marie.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
jim brady

Another jumping story,next to the stable was another smaller building we called the "lock up".There was a heap of sand someone had dumped by the "lock up" and a few kids wondered if anybody could jump off the roof of the "lock up" onto the sand.A few kids got up there had a look down but did'nt fancy it.Someone suggested that Tommy*****would do it I wont give surname for obvious reasons.Tommy had done a bit of Borstal
(Young offenders Instute)Tommy got up on the roof had a look and got back down saying I cant do it without my Borstal suit on,Off he went and came back in his alter ego grey suit. he climbed up onto the roof and jumped right onto the sand.Once he had his Borstal suit on he could do anything,he would put it on get up on the roof and go right along the gutters throwing down the balls that had been stuck up there in the gutters.
jim brady,shelley st.
bri445

Please, where is Big Dave?
I only discovered this site last week and have spent quite a few hours reading all 11 very enjoyable pages which have taken me back to my early days on Merseyside. It's been uncanny how many things Dave's fantastic memory has brought back to me, even though I was over the water.
I'm old enough to remember the WW2 bombing, the Overhead, the trams, shopping in the city and the old buildings and hope that Dave will continue with his story soon.
I found the site when I was looking for info on meat importers Thomas Borthwick & Son, Brunswick Place, where my Dad was a driver for 44 years. Any memories and photos, etc., would be appreciated.
Sad that we never think to pick our parents' brains for past memories when we have the chance.

Cheers
Bri
Carpe diem - Sieze the Day!

Ex- Birkenhead and Bebington
RYTER2

Hello Bri,

Welcome to the site.

You will be interested and pleased to know that Dave has been very busy writing a book which he may have finished by now.
Here is a copy of Dave’s messages that were posted in this thread in April :

Hello Big Dave here!
I have written approx 77 000 words of my memories of a Bootle childhood 1944-1954 - and I haven't left our street yet! I have a few more chapters to write before I can call it the complete works! I hope my love of the Bootle of my childhood shines through. To all ye friends out there thank you for your interest and encouragement.
Hope you ara all well!
Best wishes
Big Dave

Second Message

Thank-you Margaret/Marie/ Matt/Eddy/Daveart for your kind words.
I am feeling much better now. When I booked the trip to Lourdes last year, the Archbishop asked, "Will that be a return ticket, my son?"
I am hoping to get the 'memoirs' published as a book. My sister knows someone who'll do it for me. Working on the last part now.
I had to re-register to get back on the forum and I had to re-name myself 'Big Dave(Mark Two). Hope it doesn't confuse anyone. It's still me! So any private e-mails - the Mark two version is your man!

Best wishes
Big Dave

Regards,
Bill (Ryter)
bri445

Hi Bill

Thanks for the greeting and the news of Dave's book. I hope it's got lots of pictures in it. There's lots of current photos of Liverpool and district on the web but I suspect cameras were not so common in the good old days and film and processing was fairly expensive.
I'd like to answer a query from Big Dave he put on page 3 (29/5/2008) of this thread. He asked about 'lecky ice' and I think he means Cardice which is solid carbon dioxide. As I mentioned in my first post above my Dad worked for Borthwicks in Brunswick Place and they used it in the insulated lorries when delivering to the shops. He used to drop off some remaining blocks of the stuff to home in Bebington when he finished delivering in N Wales and it was an brief source of dangerous amusement for us kids. It causes nasty blisters on the skin because it's at minus 78 degrees C but we knew nothing of Health and Safety in those days! It's used in films and tv to make steaming cauldrons and hot tea!
So I wonder if it's Borthwicks he was refering to. There were big doors on the front where the lorries went inside to the loading bays.

Cheers all
Bri
Carpe diem - Sieze the Day!

Ex- Birkenhead and Bebington
Kathy John Moorcroft

Welcome bri445 to the Bootle Forum, feel free to add some memories,
as sometimes it can jolt a memory for someone else..

As Bill said Big Dave is writing a book, so we are all waiting patiently. :lol:

KATHY.
Ed Davies

Hi Bri welcome to the site :D have a ball
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Great news to hear Big Dave has almost completed his book and that it will soon be published. His tales are amazing and I am sure the finished article will have huge success.

Good luck Dave and well done. Your tales will live forever, as will the memories you have revived for us all.

You have lot's of fans here and, should you need it, you will know we are all here to help.
big dave(mark two)

Dear
Last edited by big dave(mark two) on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes
Big Dave
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Thanks Dave and welcome back.

There is a wealth of experience here on the site and you will have as much support as you want from both existing Authors and also all the BB's.

It was their input which initiated the eventual publishing of my book and I am grateful for that.

You have mentioned the most important part and I thoroughly agree. Once it is in print you will become immortal and your decendants will know about you forever.

Now you have to decide how far you want to go with it. If your progression is anything like mine has been then there will be a natural progression. I can promise that the journey will be very enjoyable.

If you need my number just advise through PM.
Eddy Lloyd

Best of luck Dave look forward to reading it when it's published. :wink:
Marie777

Big Dave

Welcome back it's been a long time, well it feels like a long time.

You must have realized by now, that whatever happens with the "BOOK" which I am sure will be a huge success, you already have your own Fan Club.

It never was, just the stories which had us spellbound, it was the manner in which you told them, I felt like the kid you described and Boy!!!!! did I enjoy those bike rides. I have in the past thought about buying a bike but I have had disc problems which affected my balance and I know it would be a disaster to try to ride. With you I did it, I rode alongside you to Sniggery Woods and down Marsh Lane past Milly Rayners Shop. Thank You Dave

I'm so glad you made it to Lourdes and back, don't forget to send a Book to the Archbishop.

Best wishes Friend
Marie
daveowe

Hi Dave

Nice to have you back, the most endearing part of your memories, in addition to being well constructed, they are memories we all had and you helped unlock the brain cells.

There are writers who feel 'infated diction' will entice the reader, this is misguided thinking. Your writings are simply as it it was, easy to follow, free of unecesarry descriptive, humerous, tinged with pathos all real life stuff that is your hook. Can't wait for the book.

Dave
marielou

Dave, as Marie 777 said "It never was, just the stories which had us spellbound, it was the manner in which you told them"

I am looking forward to the book.

Marielou.
We lose dignity if we tolerate the intolerable.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Dave.

You will see from the excellent response on this thread that the second line of my reply to your message has been borne out already.

Seems you already have several sales and I am sure that there will be many more to come.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Dave I am also looking forward to your book, many a morning cuppa was enjoyed reading your posts.
And like the Marie777, enjoyed the bike rides. :wink:

Thanks KATHY.
peckhj

Was Micky Denn any relation to Andrew Denn? Andrew Denn was my grandad
Eddy Lloyd

Any news on your book Bigdave?? Just been reading your old posts and howled with laughter about the story of the frog and the scouse. :D
Janetd

I can't believe its taken me so long to stumble on this message board!

My Dad was born (1926) and brought up in Oak Street/Marsh Lane and my grandparents lived there from the early 1900's to the mid 60's and I was a regular visitor throughout my childhood.

As a child Dad was known as Hughie, he was a member of the ARP during the war and did an apprenticeship at Chadburns. However, he went on to National Service and from then on was known as John (his middle name) as there were a number of other Hughies in his company. His family (Williams) were Carters and had a yard between the end of Oak Street and Marsh Lane. My grandfather, Stanley, was one of the 8 children born to William Williams, who I believe set up the family business.

Three or four of the brothers had houses in Marsh Lane between 315 and the corner of Litherland Road. Latterly my Grandfather worked in the gas works and a number of factories closeby. Many of my memories (50's/60s) are centred on the area bounded by Stanley Road, Linacre Lane, Marsh Lane and Litherland Road and the many sweet/cake shops we visited together.

My grandmother was born Edith Whitsey and she joined the Williams family from Huddersfield. During my lifetime, she had some serious health issues, which rendered her housebound during her later years, but I do have memories of joining her at St Matthews Church in Bootle on Sunday evenings and pushing her wheelchair around the local park.

Since my father and my grandparents have passed on, I no longer have contact with any members of the family, but I remain a regular visitor to Liverpool and to Bootle and. If anyone out there remembers or knew of the Williams/Whitsey family, I would be really pleased to hear your memories.
Janetd