bootle coal men

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
fatboyjoe90

Only because he’s older than us John. :wink: :) :)
Tommy, your memory is good do you remember Mrs Strettles (spelling) fish shop on the same block :?: :) :)
Cheers Joe.
john j connell

Joe the only Strettles I can remember was a fruit and veg shop somewhere in between Costigans (Hooton Place) and Nelly Dunnes, and I am sure that there was a Strettles shop on Irlam Rd, (Coffee House Bridge end). JJC.
henry

john j connell wrote:Joe the only Strettles I can remember was a fruit and veg shop somewhere in between Costigans (Hooton Place) and Nelly Dunnes, and I am sure that there was a Strettles shop on Irlam Rd, (Coffee House Bridge end). JJC.
THERE WAS ALSO A STRETTLES IN STRAND ROAD
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
john james ingham

henry, she went from strand rd to marsh lane by hooton place'
born bank rd off strand rd.
fatboyjoe90

John, you are right about Strettles, selling fruit, veg, and fish that block I’m talking about must have been demolished in the late 50s.

From Chestnut grove the way I remember it was Blackledges bread shop then Hooton place the CO-OP,Costigans or it might have been the other way round for those two shops? Nelly Dunnes, I remember well, after Strettles left the lane they moved to Hawthorne Rd just past Park street, also they would deliver to Netherton in a little van once a week.
Cheers Joe.
john j connell

Joe the way I remember it (and I am not saying it is spot on) was from Chestnut Gr, Blackledges then a space/debris most probably due to damage to a shop during the blitz, Doctors, (whetherhaed) wool shop, butchers and then on the corner of Hooton Pl a dry cleaners (Tuebrook), the CO-OP as I remember was at the top of Borland St and Scotts was on the opposite corner.
fatboyjoe90

John, I’m blaming the old grey matter, now you mention it I do remember the Doctors, wool shop, the butchers, and Scotts but not the CO-OP on the other side, I won’t be splitting hairs‎ about it thanks for jogging my memory John. :)
Cheers Joe.
Matt

Drs name was J.A .Wethered :lol: JJC. My uncle John Arthur!!!
Matt
john james ingham

hello john.there was a flower shop also,between the doctors and the corner of hooton place, they sold duck eggs as well use to go there to get them for my g.mother.the name I cannot remember. alice first name I think.
fatboyjoe90

John Ingham,as a schoolboy I seem to remember you and Jimmy Carr fighting over an old silver sixpence that was frozen in the ice outside the newsagent’s shop that would have been in the 50s.:lol: :lol: :lol:
The problem is was the shop named Maher’s or Cambridge’s it was opposite Chestnut grove. :?: :wink:
Cheers Joe.
john james ingham

paul it was outside Minnie oneils.sixpence it was and it was pat carr. 1958 ha ha ha.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that John, I don’t know how or why that I remembered that, I was trying to remember the name of that shop and that just jumped into my brain. :? :) :)
P.S WHO WON the Sixpence? :lol: :lol:
Cheers Joe.
john james ingham

if I remember cos it was so long ago.we cud not get it out it was so cold the ice was solid.i think we walk away and found half a crown.ha ha ha.
dezzer

Conch, was Flo's shop next to Nelly Dunns? also what was the name of the veg shop on Irlam road next to Prices shop, regards , Joe Cunny.
john j connell

Joe, it was Nellies, the Chemist (Roberts) and then Flo's, if you mean Prices by the Munky I can not remember the name of any fruit/veg shop, Conch
fatboyjoe90

Dezzer,and JJC The women who ran the greengrocery shop was Mrs. Mary Mckeown, she ran the shop for her father whose name was Mr Cain, if my memory serves me right. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
john j connell

That rings a bell Joe, I would say that you are correct in your recollection. JJC.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks John, :wink:
Cheers Joe.
dezzer

Thanks for that Joe 90 and you Conch have a good Christmas both of you,regards Joe Cunny.
john j connell

Thank you Joe, and the same to your good self, Conch.
fatboyjoe90

dezzer wrote:Thanks for that Joe 90 and you Conch have a good Christmas both of you,regards Joe Cunny.
Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year Joe, and John. :) :)
Cheers Joe.
john j connell

Thank you Joe, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you. JJC.
Mike R

Hi
I remember being sent around to Mr Skilling's (it was always "Mr" 'cos a good coal merchant deserved respect!) in the harsh winter of '62/'63. I was sent with an order for 4 cwt (yes, remember hundredweights?). That winter, coal supplies were restricted due to the supply and transportation problems caused by the heavy snow. Anyhoo, when I got there, the queue was down the street and onto Knowsley Rd.
Being 12 years old, I just gave up and went home. My Mum went mental and sent me back out to stand in the queue and get the coal. By this time, the line was about another 20 yards longer and when I got to the counter, even with a 2 cwt limit, they had run out! I was terrified to go home even though there was snow everywhere and it was freezing!
When I eventually plucked up the courage to go home, boy, was I in the doghouse, for ages!

I was saved however, by the said Mr Skilling, when he delivered to our next door neighbour and he asked my Mum why she hadn't ordered. She told him the tale and he promptly dumped 2 bags in our coal hole saying
that most of the people in the queue hadn't been his regulars anyway!
As I said, a good coal merchant deserved respect!
Rgds
Mike R
Born in Oxford St Maternity.
Lived in Southey St for 5 years then moved to Bulwer St till 1981!
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
stevom_2009

great that mike remember MR skilling reasonably well :? :) keep those memories coming mike. welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it lots of marsh laners on. ps I had to push an old pram to the gas works for coke we were poor mike honestly mate :oops: :wink: :roll:
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
dezzer

Stevom was the pram the same as I used to push to Charlie Clarks (Tanssad top of the range coal carrier lol ) regards Dezzer all the best 2014. :D
Mike R

Stevo/dezzer,
Dave Lawler tells a similar tale about going to the coke works in his book "Way Over Yonder". He tells about hiring a handcart from Daulby's 'cos they didn't have a pram! Sad tale
Anyway, a Tanssad, I'm impressed!
A happy Christmas and happy new year to all

Mike R
Born in Oxford St Maternity.
Lived in Southey St for 5 years then moved to Bulwer St till 1981!
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
lily8

Guys just having a chuckle over the memories :D I am just waiting to see who claims bragging rights with a Silver Cross coal carrier :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lily
jetjockey

lily8 wrote:Guys just having a chuckle over the memories :D I am just waiting to see who claims bragging rights with a Silver Cross coal carrier :lol: :lol: :lol:
We had a Silver Cross lily but it was never a coal carrier only our two children having seen the price new wish I still had it could get a good price for it now but the I suppose you would need a 40 footer to go the shops :D

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
lily8

JJ I don't care what anyone says they are the Rolls Royce of Perambulators and very few things smack of England to mums than a Silver Cross Pram. the vintage ones (even the toy and that's not the right word as they are custom made miniatures) are worth a goodly sum. I doubt they would have been used as coal carriers but love to hear folks remembrances.
Lily
jetjockey

lily8 wrote:JJ I don't care what anyone says they are the Rolls Royce of Perambulators and very few things smack of England to mums than a Silver Cross Pram. the vintage ones (even the toy and that's not the right word as they are custom made miniatures) are worth a goodly sum. I doubt they would have been used as coal carriers but love to hear folks remembrances.
Seen in John Lewis at Liverpool 1

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
dezzer

Jet jocky wouldn't get 2 cwt of coal in that pram would you? we used to use one of them to get the blocks from Owens Peck always burnt better than Billows wood,come on you Tansad all the best mate, regards to yourself and all BBs which ever part of the globe you are residing.
Last edited by dezzer on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dezzer

Steve R glad you where impressed with the Tansad mate, ended up making a trolly with the wheels, used to love going down Coffee house brdge on it until I nearly came into close contact with one of Packenhams horses happy days, regards and all the best for 2014 Dezzer.
lily8

JJ thanks for the pic :D great prams the Silver Cross

Guys was it one of these Tansads???????

Lily
dezzer

Cracking Tansads they are Lilly top pic was the one I can boast about, best coal carrier of it's time lol regards Dezzer. :D
lily8

Dez they are still available now and again on ebay, and they are collectable, restorers love them. To me they will never match a Silver Cross but that's just me. In view of the lovely memories this post has stirred up I say we vote The Tansad the Number One Coal Carrier of Excellence. :D
Lily