bootle coal men

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
dezzer

Definitly voting for the Tansad Lilly, lol so that's one up for the Tansadians don't loose the right to vote regards Dezzer.
jim.g

Well! That was a good thread weren't it? Was trying hard to remember the name of our coalman when BrendaM. came up with Seddon! It was a long time ago, mind. And Kirkham was from Bailey Drive, my wife went to school with his daughter, Brenda...
Everybody, but everybody, had a coalman in those days and we're all still coughing from the smoke we breathed in when we were growing up!
Dave Bryant

My grandfather William (Bill) McLoughlin was a coalman - see my post under the Argos Road thread. Technically Kirkdale I guess but who's quibbling. He kept his horses under Bankhall.
Phill K

My family were coal merchants. My Grandad William Kirkham from Bailey Drive, then my Dad Bill Kirkham from Thornton Road and finally my Brother Billy.

I went on the wagon a lot as a kid and have great memories, we serviced all over Bootle, as well as the north and east of Merseyside and also did a lot of big deliveries down the Dock Road. My Dad always got up around 5am as we got the coal from the Southport terminal.

I think we took over the Roberts' run as well.
Last edited by Phill K on Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave s

maureen howell wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:22 am :lol: :lol: Hi Folks
Charlie Clarke seemed to deliver coal all around Derby Road and when the houses were demolished he followed his customers and delivered all around
Hereford Drive
Take Care
Maureen

I recall in the winter of 62/3 Charlie was unable to drive his wagon around because of the ice so, he loaded a bag of coal onto a sack truck and pushed/pulled it to his customers. He went to every single one! even going up the Bedford Rd subway, can you imagine that happening today? I think his main man was named Jimmy who also loaded a sack truck. Great people. Dave s
Bri

Kirkhams were our coalmen, we lived on top of Ross’s in Carr Meadow Hey but luckily for them the coal place was just behind the front door at street level, it was me that had go up and down the stairs for a scuttle full of coal!
Elaine Goulding

I find it amazing what fantastic memories some of you have being able to go so far back and remember the name of your coalman. I know my Mum had a delivery of coal, however I could not for the life of me remember the coalman`s name :o
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
filsgreen

It's easy, Elaine, the hard part is remembering what happened yesterday. :cry: :D
Bill fawcett

My son married Joseph Gorry's daughter. Joe died last year in his 90s

Bill
Elaine Goulding

Phil :D :D
Elaine

Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

You folk must have really been wealthy to afford coal.

We collected ours from the bits dropped off the trains off the railway line up Marsh Street and brought it home in an old pram. Happy days. :lol:
Last edited by Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) on Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Goulding

My Mum would never throw old shoes out as she used to say they would burn for ages. My friend Treasa who lived in Hertford Road was from a huge family maybe 11-12 I think. She used to say first thing in the morning she would take an old pram down by the railway to collect coke or coal for her Mum.
I think a lot of people had to do that years ago.
Elaine

Dan

In July 1956 Anthony Eden's government passed The Clean Air Act.

The act led to the introduction of a rolling programme of "Smokeless Zones" thoughout the country.

Strangely, in May 1956 the Minister of Health, Robin Turton, rejected the lead in an anti-smoking campaign as "no ill-effects had yet been proven."

Bootle Times March 21 1958.

London Gazette August 5 1966. The introduction of the Netherton smokeless zone.

We went from bags of coal or nutty slack to bags of smokeless or coke.
efc46

Rooneys coal yard cnr house balfour r & peel road (next to the jigger) pop cole was a coal merchant bottom of balfour road we lived in 75 balfour the rowlands family I remember the coal men delivering to the houses the coaleys had leather waistcoats with big studs on the back of them for carrying the bags of coal I cwt each bag the studs would have prevented wearing out (the coaleys were very tuff hard workers) Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle