Marian Square Statue

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Dan

Cheers Nirmit.

Picture of the Square around 1965.

Can make out Stuart & Dorfman (electrical suppliers). something Davis (not a clue), Tesco and obviously Vernon's.

How cool are those cars?

Regards

Dan
Bonesy

Dan, I think the middle car could have been my dads. Morris Oxford reg was TKC 877.

Keith
Invicta

Didn’t know you were that posh Cus :wink: K
Bonesy

Ken, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Invicta

Can't quite make out the numbers but the letters on the plate look right Keith, great spot. Ken
Dan

December 1974.

Regards

Dan
Willow26

Lots of good memories of Brennan's - started as a paper lad delivering to St Oswalds lane ended up serving in the shop every weekend till it closed in about 1970. sold to Martins I think. Mr & Mrs Brennand were great to work for- often think back to all the fun we had serving there.

John
Dan

Think I've posted this photo of the statue on another thread.

Dan

Willow26 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:58 pm Lots of good memories of Brennan's - started as a paper lad delivering to St Oswalds lane ended up serving in the shop every weekend till it closed in about 1970. sold to Martins I think. Mr & Mrs Brennand were great to work for- often think back to all the fun we had serving there.

John
Better copy of the early shops at the Square.

Going from memory from the far end, but it is about 60 years ago.

Vernon's, Waterworth's, Blackledge's, Brennand's, Lloyd's Bank, ER Hughes, think Sayers got the unit to let, Abisgolds, Wilmots ,Maypole.

Don't recall that low brick wall in front of the Maypole.
Dan

Mark some info on the Marian Square. I've left the pages whole so they're easier to download.

The sculptress for the statue in the Square was Ann Howie and the theme of the work was " Growth and Development".

December 4 1959

March 18 1960

February 3 1961

October 27 1961

I think you said you went to Netherton Moss and Warwick Bolam.

October 12 1951

October 4 1957

Dan

September 27 1961 ER Hughes opening. Liverpool Echo

Open to correction, but started as ER Hughes, can't recall anything else before Superdrug, Home Bargains then Heron.

Or it may have all been a dream.
Dan

The square in the 1980's

I'd forgotten about Shoppers Paradise.

filsgreen

It was just a different world in the 70s. 🎶Can it be that it was it all so simple back then?🎶

Thanks for finding and posting all this nostalgia, Dan, and to Gladys of course. 😁
Dan

Cheers Phil.

I've been told there was also another supermarket on the front row of shops, at around the same time, called Dee's Discount Stores.

They were a North Eastern-based outfit who were absorbed into Gateway then Somerfield and finally the Co-Op.

Around that time I usually only went into Woolies to buy their remaindered 12" singles and cassettes.
Dan

Collage of material posted on the forum, even down to the "light sabres"* on the Bootle Times cuttings. :)

* I thought there was a problem with the phone lens, then I realised it was the reflection of the fluorescent lights in Crosby library. :roll:

Dan

There's a set of photos of the Square taken September 2018 by JOMO posted on a site called Small World Photos.

Here's a couple.

filsgreen

It's great to see all of the shops are open and no charity ones. 👍
BossHogg

It hasn't half changed since I last visited 25 years ago! 😱
Dan

There's one charity along the front row of shops, Phil.

St Joseph's Hospice- I gave them most of my books a couple of years ago.

Still holding on to my vinyl, tapes and cd's, mainly out of sentiment. I only listen to mp3's now.

Though I'd probably be brought up on cruelty charges causing people to listen to Gentle Giant, King Criimson, Iron Butterfly and the Mahavishnu's :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tom, it's not as good as it used to be, but there again I don't think any where is.

No Woolies- what a shop that was. No Lipton's window to do your Harry Worth routine. No Sayers or Blackledge's.

No Vernon's- "no we haven't got it, but it will be in this afternoon". My last job was working for Old Vin at Oil Salvage,

Loved talking to him, but afterwards I always felt I ought to have left him a few bob just to buy himself a cup of tea. :)
BossHogg

That's sad, but as you say times change. Where I live used to be a hive of activity and a load of shops and pubs, now it's mostly hair dressers, barbers, bookies and charity shops. It also has a lot of empty shops, it's gone from 5 banks, 2 building societies, a theatre and 2 cinemas to 1 building society, the only bank closes next month, no cinemas or theatre.