Educating Bootle - researching technical school and beyond

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
timbolton

Hi all. Great forum you have here!
I’m currently looking into the history of Bootle Technical School, Bootle School of Art, Hugh Baird College and all the education institutions around that area – Oriel Road, Balliol Road, Stanley Road etc. Anything would be great – photos, memories, stories.

The other thing I’m researching is the buildings that were in the area before the colleges. I’m trying to find any info about Emmanuel Church and Connolly House. The books by Peter Woolley are great for photo references on Emmanuel Church but so far I haven’t found a good photo of Connolly House. Are there any interior images of Emmanuel Church? I have a little information on Alderman Mark Connolly from the Redman and Sands book, “Bootle Signposts” and the Sefton Council says when he was Mayor (1952-53) but so far that’s all I can find. I’ll have a trip to Bootle library when I can.

Thanks in advance for any help. I’ve really enjoyed reading the threads on here, loads of history, interesting stories/facts and the people on here are full of great knowledge :)
Thanks,

-- Tim Bolton
BOBHAMO

Hi Tim welcome :lol: :lol: :lol:
connolly house photo
from a private house to home for the blind
and a nursing home
i will get the info for you
Bootle school of art is where your hugh baird college is now
i attended there in the 60s
will find a photo all the houses on balliol where private houses
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
matt wethered

Hi Tim,sorry no photos of the interior of Emmanuel Church but I
used to go there (until I found out I was Jewish :oops: :oops: :lol: )
but for its time it was very modern.It had a balcony at the
rear of the main church above the main door,where the choir could
sing from but in all the years I attended it was never used.The 16th Bootle Brownies,Cubs,Girl Guides and Boy Scouts were affiliated to
the church so no RC's allowed to join :evil:
As for the Bootle School of Art..just before they tore down my grandmothers house at 66 Merton Road my gran and my uncle Dr
John Wethered contacted the school and they sent a "work crew"
of some of the students there to dismantle and take the beautiful
Italian Marble firplace and put it in the old school on display. It was
about 12 feet wide with four steps made of marble leading up to
the fire pit itself with marble benches on either side that could
seat three a side.The steps and benches were made of that yellow coloured marble but the actual mantle piece and surrounds were
black marble columns and grey marble front.
So glad to see someone besides our "Prospice" keeping an eye
out for the once beautiful buildings we had in Bootle.
Maybe you could get in touch with "Prospice"who is a regular
contributer to our Forum.
Matt
BOBHAMO

think there are more people interested in saving
the heritage of bootle
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
matt wethered

Sorry Bob,what I wrote did not come out how I meant it to.
I know that there are lots of our forum members that are
shocked and upset about what has been happening to Bootles
Buildings and your good self with your photographic records
contribute immensely to keeping our Bootle heritage alive.I only
meant Prospice as an example.
Matt
timbolton

Sorry I didn't get chance to reply at the weekend, I was hoping to get on but was too busy in the end.

Thanks for all the posts, some fantastic photos and info there :)

How did you find the School of Art when you were there Bob? I know Peter Woolley went there because he has a photo in one of his books of him and his classmates outside it, but the photo only shows the door behind them, not the building.

Thanks for the memories of the Emmanuel Church Matt, there is just so little on it, I've seen photos of it from Stanley/Kings Gardens and it looks quite a beautiful church.
Last edited by timbolton on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prospice

Hi,

You could ask the vicar of Christ Church, Tom Rich, if he could help you at all, or maybe Art in Action.

I know one of the bells from Emmanuel is now in the bell tower of Christ Church, so there may be more records held in Christ Church.

Good luck with your research, if I come across anything I will let you know.

Picture of the bell below...

http://christchurchbootle.co.uk/wp/?page_id=4
timbolton

Thanks Prospice, I'll look into it!

I forgot to ask –
In Roy Redman and Colin Sands’ “Bootle Signposts: A History and Directory of Bootle Streets” (Sefton Council Leisure Services Department, Southport 2003) there are mentions of a toll booth on the site where Emmanuel Church stood, before Emmanuel Church was built. I’m not sure if the dates are confused because it says this toll booth was extant in the early 20th Century but I am sure Emmanuel Church was built prior to 1900, I haven’t got the date to hand.

The entry for Balliol Road -

“There was a tollgate at the junction of Balliol Road with Stanley Road where, later, Emmanuel Church stood until its demolition in the 1960s. In the early years of the 20th century ‘One-armed Tom’ manned the tollgate.” (Redman & Sands, 2003, p.4).

Does anyone know who ‘One-armed Tom’ was? That's the only mention I have seen of him so far.

As well, I have found pictures from about 1904 showing Emmanuel Church standing on that corner, so I’m not sure how this tollgate fits in.
BOBHAMO

Hi TIM think the church was built 1885
the referance to toll booth
from most of the maps i have going back 1840
stanley road ended at merton road
and balliol road ende at bootle lane ,
unless it was before then does not show on any maps
merton road was the main access through bootle
its a good book so am sure they have right info
the church also had a school
the art school was used by lots of students
peter woolly was an ex painter and dec before being a police constable
like myself studied at the school it was a typical large victorien house
large staircase with ornate mouldings and ceiling roses
which we practiced on my gold leaf session :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bonesy

Bob, I used to go to the art school too, that would have been 1969 onwards. The only tutor I can remember and this was in the main building across the road was a Mr Devereaux (spelling)

Keith
BOBHAMO

Keith the teachers where , mr moore , mr jones , and mr herbert
the last 2 had there own firms , but mr moore was the artist :lol: :lol:
we went to picton road to finnish are last 3 years remember
at 15 ist year improver , then signed your indentures
5 years apprentiship
the idea of going to day school and night school
was to learn but you learnt more of the men you worked with
think only once did a bit of gold leaf in the town hall
learnt a bit of graining but never used it
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Jan

:D

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site.

Some info on Emmanuel church Balliol Rd

http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/church ... regational

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Jan

:D :D

I think the first minister of Emmanuel church was Thomas Dunlop, found some info in the old newspapers, I think he was appointed in 1875.

Here he is in 1881 census.

name: Thomas Dunlop
birth year: 1840
birthplace: Scotland
relationship to head of household: Head
marital condition: Widower
profession/occupation: Minister Of Emmanuel Congregational Church Bootle
address: 8 Fernhill Rd
census place: Bootle Cum Linacre, Lancashire, England
disability:
record type: Household
family history library film: 1341884
the national archives reference: RG11
piece/folio: 3693 / 84
page number: 40
Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Thomas Dunlop M 41 Scotland
servant Mary Bryan F 27 Scotland

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Bonesy

Bob, I did a 5 year apprenticeship, worked every Saturday for 5 years to make up for my day release.

Did sign writing, graining and gold leaf and NEVER put it into practice, what a waste of time.

As you say, learnt more off the older men especially how to make a good brew and going for a long stand and a tin of stripey paint :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
BOBHAMO

Keith i fell for that one , stripey paint :lol: :lol:
but was a good can lad :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
PETER CRAIG

timbolton wrote:Hi all. Great forum you have here!
I’m currently looking into the history of Bootle Technical School, Bootle School of Art, Hugh Baird College and all the education institutions around that area – Oriel Road, Balliol Road, Stanley Road etc. Anything would be great – photos, memories, stories.

The other thing I’m researching is the buildings that were in the area before the colleges. I’m trying to find any info about Emmanuel Church and Connolly House. The books by Peter Woolley are great for photo references on Emmanuel Church but so far I haven’t found a good photo of Connolly House. Are there any interior images of Emmanuel Church? I have a little information on Alderman Mark Connolly from the Redman and Sands book, “Bootle Signposts” and the Sefton Council says when he was Mayor (1952-53) but so far that’s all I can find. I’ll have a trip to Bootle library when I can.

Thanks in advance for any help. I’ve really enjoyed reading the threads on here, loads of history, interesting stories/facts and the people on here are full of great knowledge :)
Thanks,

-- Tim Bolton
Welcome to the Bootle forum Tim,
Peter.
timbolton

Thanks for the welcome Peter :)
Apologies for going quiet, it's been a bit busy. I've written a rough draft of research done on the Connolly Gardens/South Park area, I'll post the details below. Any comments/corrections would be appreciated. I'd love to include any extra information that people might have. Thanks :)

Introduction and overview

The area and buildings within South Park in Bootle have a varied history and are linked with several key personalities including many generations of the Stanley family (Earls of Derby). It was 16th Earl of Derby, Frederick Arthur Stanley, who attended the opening ceremony of Bootle Technical School in September 1900. Bootle Technical School was the predecessor of what would eventually become Hugh Baird College and was on the site of where the Pembroke Centre now stands. South Park was given to Bootle in 1883 and King’s Gardens were given in 1904.

Main buildings and areas
• Centenary Gardens (1968)
• Connolly House (c.1876, demolished 2005)
• Emmanuel Congregational Church (c.1876, demolished July 1965 after arson attack)
• King’s Statue (1904) – Edward VII
• South Park Recreation Ground (1883)
• Stanley/King’s Gardens (1904)
• War Memorial (1922)

Personalities linked with the area
• Baird, Hugh (1908-82) – Mayor of Bootle (1959-60).
• Burnie, James (1882-1975)- Major, Mayor of Bootle(1936), unveiled War Memorial in 1922.
• Connolly, Mark - Mayor of Bootle (1952-53).
• Jones, William - Mayor of Bootle (1886), developer, built Connolly House.
• Stanley, Edward Henry (1826-1893) - 15th Earl of Derby. Link: Bootle Charter.
• Stanley, Frederick Arthur (1841-1908) - 16th Earl of Derby. Link: Presided over the opening ceremony of Bootle Technical School (1900) and the unveiling of the King Edward VII’s statue in the Stanley Gardens (1904).
• Stanley, George Villiers (1865-1948) - 17th Earl of Derby. Link: At the unveiling of the War Memorial (1922)?
• Stanley, Edward John (1918-1994) - 18th Earl of Derby.
• Stanley, Edward Richard William (1962-) - 19th Earl of Derby.

South Park

The land on which South Park is situated was previously owned by the Stanley family, the Earls of Derby. It was acquired on a short lease in 1883 which was extended to 999 years in 1902 (Redman, 2003, p.49). According to the Centenary edition of the Bootle Official Guide (1968) published by the Bootle County Borough Council (p.49),
“The South Recreation Ground was also provided by Lord Derby and on its 17 acres football pitches, children’s playground, paddling pool, four bowling greens and a splendid cricket ground are provided.”
Centenary Gardens

Centenary Gardens are a memorial of the original Royal Charter of Incorporation of the Borough of Bootle granted by Queen Victoria on 30 December 1868 under the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835, On the 5 January 1869 the charter was paraded through the streets from the Liverpool boundary and read to the crowd at St Mary’s Church on Irlam Road, Bootle. The Centenary Gardens commemorate the giving of the Royal Charter, planting ceremonies were held in February or March 1969. (Source: Sefton Council, 2012)
“...a deputation brought it home in triumph in an open barouche drawn by four grey horses with postillions and outriders. They were met at the Bootle boundary in Derby Road by a brass band and large crowds, a procession was formed which marched around the new Borough to the National Schools where the Charter was publicly read.” (Source: Bootle County Borough Council, 1968)
The gates to the area that became the Centenary Gardens date from 1953 and were presented in memory of King George VI, a gift of the Bootle Women’s Organisations Committee (comprised of twenty two representatives). They would have been erected whilst Emmanuel Church and Connolly House were still extant.

Stanley Gardens / King’s Gardens / King’s Statue

Stanley Gardens were presented in 1904 to the town by the Earl of Derby to commemorate the accession of King Edward VII. It was later renamed King’s Gardens.

Statue of Edward VII (c.1904, stone base and bronze statue). Edward (Born 9 November 1841 – Died 6 May 1910) was King from January 1901 (crowned August 1902) following the death of Queen Victoria.
The unveiling ceremony was led by the Earl of Derby (Frederick Arthur Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby) on 18 July 1904 (Source: Public Monuments & Sculpture Association, 2013)

War Memorial

The War Memorial was unveiled by Major James Burnie (M.C.) on 15 October 1922.
Twelve-sided base on two circular steps. Panels with the names of those remembered inscribed between pilasters (projecting column built into or applied to the face of a wall). Above the base – a triangular concave sided obelisk supporting a bronze sculpture (mother and child). Three bronze sculptures of a soldier, sailor and an airman flank the obelisk.

Inscription – “In grateful memory of over a thousand men from Bootle who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-1918.”

Sculpture – by Joseph Hermon Cawthra (1886-1957). Born in Baildon (Yorkshire), created bas reliefs, sculptures and war memorials. Studied at Royal College of Art and Royal Academy Schools.
Memorial design by Herbert E. Bulmer, ARCA.
Builders – Henry A Clegg and Sons of Chester.

Major James Burnie (10 May 1882 – 15 May 1975) was chosen to unveil the War Memorial in 1922. He was a Liberal politician from 15 November 1922 until 29 October 1924 (Source: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/peop ... es-burnie/). Born in Bootle and educated at St John’s School in Bootle.
Worked for his father’s business and became director of Bell and Burnie Ltd – Cold store insulation.
1914 – mobilised as a Sergeant.
Retired as a Major in the Bootle Battalion, 7th King’s Liverpool Regiment. Gained the Military Cross in 1918.
Retained commission after the war, retired from the Territorial Army Reserve of Officers in 1932 (aged 50).
Elected to Parliament in the 1922 general election as a Liberal – Bootle. Gained the seat from the Conservatives by a majority of 3,409 votes. Held his seat in the 1923 general election. Lost his seat in the 1924 general election, the Liberal Party facing division at the time. Elected Mayor of Bootle in 1936.

Connolly House

The building that later became Connolly House was in believed to have been built in 1876 as part of the construction work led by William Jones. In 1946 it became a residential care home for the visually impaired. It later became a Council residential care home for the elderly. It was demolished in December 2005 (Source: Sefton Council, 2012).

Welsh builder William Jones – built the ‘Welsh Quarter’ in the 1870s, area off Marsh Lane. The housing was build to accommodate an influx of workers associated with the docks. Most of the estate housing in that area was destroyed during the May 1941 Blitz. (Source: Merseyside Archaeology Advisory Service, 2011). William Jones also built the ‘Klondyke’ estate alongside Hawthorne Road after 1900. He was Mayor of Bootle 1886-1887.

“William Jones, a developer and Bootle’s first Welsh-speaking Mayor, built residential streets on the northern side of town that were given welsh names.” (Source: TFT Consultants, 2007)

The building was named for Mark Connolly, Mayor of Bootle (1952-53). Redman and Sands (Redman, 2003) provide the following information about Mark Connolly,
“Alderman Mark Connolly J.P., was born in Bootle village and served as a Labour councillor on Bootle Council from 1919-1960. At various times he represented Mersey, Stanley and Orrell Wards. He served on all major Committees, and was Mayor of Bootle 1952-53. Due to his wife being disabled his 23-year-old daughter Maureen served as his Mayoress, the youngest ever. A trade union organiser for 15 years.” (p. 12)
Emmanuel Congregational Church

Emmanuel Congregational Church and attached Sunday School opened in February 1876. It was demolished in July 1965 after an arson attack.

Tollgate

Stanley Road, running through Bootle from Litherland to the Liverpool county boundary, was a turnpike road – you had to pay a toll to use it. These tolls were used for road repairs. You paid at the toll house on the corner of Stanley and Balliol roads. Stanley Road was created for the Earl of Derby in 1865. This would have been the 15th Earl of Derby, Edward Henry Stanley (1826-1893). The toll bar was originally sited at the corner of Miller’s Bridge and Derby Road. There is evidence that the toll bar was at the corner of Stanley and Exeter Roads, opposite Emmanuel Church, This would fit in with the description below which has the toll bar existing at the same time as Emmanuel Church –

“There was a tollgate at the junction of Balliol Road with Stanley Road where, later, Emmanuel Church stood until its demolition in the 1960s. In the early years of the 20th century ‘One-armed Tom’ manned the tollgate.” (Redman & Sands, 2003, p.4).

Bibliography

Merseyside Archaeology Advisory Service (2011) Merseyside Historic Characterisation Project: Sefton Report. Liverpool: Museum of Liverpool

Public Monuments & Sculpture Association (2013) Statue of Edward VII. http://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/4948/. Accessed: 17/04/2013.

Redman, Roy and Sands, Colin (2003) Bootle Signposts: A History and Directory of Bootle Streets. Southport: Sefton Council Leisure Services Department

Sefton Council (2012) Centenary Gardens Objection Letter. Bootle: Sefton Council. http://modgov.sefton.gov.uk/moderngov/d ... pendix.pdf. Accessed 16/04/2013

Sefton Council (2013) Past Mayors. http://www.sefton.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=3920. Accessed 16/04/2013

TFT Consultants (2007) Assessment of Historic Significance of Stanley Road South, Bootle. Bootle: Sefton Council
Last edited by timbolton on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timbolton

Jan wrote::D :D

I think the first minister of Emmanuel church was Thomas Dunlop, found some info in the old newspapers, I think he was appointed in 1875.

Here he is in 1881 census.

name: Thomas Dunlop
birth year: 1840
birthplace: Scotland
relationship to head of household: Head
marital condition: Widower
profession/occupation: Minister Of Emmanuel Congregational Church Bootle
address: 8 Fernhill Rd
census place: Bootle Cum Linacre, Lancashire, England
disability:
record type: Household
family history library film: 1341884
the national archives reference: RG11
piece/folio: 3693 / 84
page number: 40
Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Thomas Dunlop M 41 Scotland
servant Mary Bryan F 27 Scotland

Jan
Thanks for that Jan, I'll add the information to what I have :)
bob. b

Welcome Tim to Bootle forum my bother went there l was younger but did a six week block course in painting was not for me. So fantastic work in that building by painter never seen doors like them gloss finish was outstanding.

There was a other building next to it bobhamo may help me remember it .
Mr Moore nice person.

There is a chap at new college was in painting section been there about thirty six years regards bob
Dan

The new addition to Hugh Baird was built on the former sites of Connolly House and the Centenary Gardens.

The photos, taken in 2012, are a mix of the gardens and the made ground that Connolly House stood on.

Site footprint in red

Dan

Some more from Centenary Park/Connolly House site.

I was wondering if the photo below showed made ground from the Emmanuel Church that was situated on that corner.

Dan

Centenary Gardens /Connolly House site continued.

Dan

Final photos of the Centenary Gardens/Connolly House site.

Dan

The Builder November 6 1875

The Emmanuel Congregational Church, Balliol Road opened 1876.

The plans also show infants'.boys' and girls' classrooms and playgrounds, plus a school library.

The 1910 OS map shows a distinction between the chapel and an adjoining building on the site.

Dan

From The Building News December 20 1878

The opening of the Emmanuel Church School.

timbolton

Hi Dan,
Thanks for all those! Ironically I can't see them whilst in college but checked via my phone.

Work on the college history continues and a colleague is now looking at it too. If I get chance I may be able to get some more stuff posted.
BOBHAMO

Image 1874
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

timbolton wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:10 am Hi Dan,
Thanks for all those! Ironically I can't see them whilst in college but checked via my phone.

Work on the college history continues and a colleague is now looking at it too. If I get chance I may be able to get some more stuff posted.
You're welcome Tim.

I had the same problem not being able to access the internet in college.

It wasn't invented until 25 years after I'd left. :D
Dan

Some references relating to the early history of Bootle Technical School.

September 10, 1898 THE CHEMIST AND DRUGGIST

Mr. John Irwin Scott, the first Bell's Scholar, was educated at the Merchant Taylor's School, Great Crosby, where he held several scholarships,
and served his apprenticeship with Mr. Harold Wyatt, of Bootle. In consequence of his successes at the Bootle Technical School he was
admitted to a free course of study at the Royal College of Science last year, taking out-lectures and practical laboratory work in chemistry and physics, with the result that at the recent Intermediate Examination in Science of the London University he received a " First Honours " in chemistry and a
" Second Honours " in physics. In addition to this he obtained a science-scholarship at Merton College, Oxford.

Bootle Free Library Museum and Technical School Journal Vol. II-No. 10 JUNE 1900

The New Technical School Building is to be opened by Lord Derby, in September. The Committee are earnestly considering plans
for the extension of the evening school work, and for the establishment of a day Intermediate School for boys from 12 years of age who can
enter for a three years' course of thorough-going education of the modern type. A School of Art with a thoroughly expert Art Master
is also to be established, and both day and evening classes will be held.

The Intermediate School will have the advantage of the finest laboratories, short of University rank, in the neighbourhood of Liverpool, both for Chemistry and Physics, the latter subject including Electricity, Mechanics, Optics, Acoustics, etc.
In these laboratories each boy who enters the School will receive a thorough grounding in experimental science, a fine basis for a super-structure in after years of technical and trade knowledge.

A Woodwork Shop and an Engineering Workshop will also be available for manual instruction, the latter, however, will probably only
be used, so far as the day school is concerned, by boys of 15 or 16 in their third year's work.

The third year's work will probably be specialised in two directions, one group of boys intended for higher industrial pursuits
taking an engineering or building course ; and another, intended for commercial life, taking a course including book-keeping, business method, commercial history, etc.

Bootie Free Library Museum andTechnical School Journal Vol. Ill—No. 19 SEPTEMBER. 1902

The new Teacher of Engineering Sciences and Superintendent of the Engineering Workshop, Mr. John Scholes Hague, M.Sc. , comes
well trained and recommended for his work. He has passed a three years' full Engineering Course at Owen's College, and has studied Metallurgy and Iron and Steel at the Manchester Technical School, which is perhaps the finest in England. He has also attended Royal College
of Science instruction in Mechanics and Practical Mathematics, besides having successfully taught these subjects at the Oldham Technical
School, where he has been for five years past. His degree is of Victoria University and was taken in the Honours School of Engineering. He is also a Whitworth Exhibitioner and has won a National Scholarship. The practical training he has undergone is equally thorough, for he has spent eleven years in the shops and drawing offices of a large Engineering firm in Oldham, and he holds a first- class certificate in Ironfounding from the Manchester School of Technology. We bespeak for Mr. Hague a hearty welcome from the students and staff.

Engineering News 1913-09-18: Vol 70 Iss 12

ELEMENTARIES, VERBALS AND DRAWING FOR MARINE ENGINEERS; Being Part Il of Griffin's New Guide to the Board of Trade Examinations for First and Second Class Engineers—By R. A. McMillan, Head Engineering Master, Bootle Technical School. London, England: Charles Griffin & Co., Ltd., Philadelphia, Penn.: J. B. Lippincott Co. Cloth; 6x9 in.; Bp. vill + 323; 259 text il- lustrations and 30 page and folding drawings. $3.75, net.

Materials Today 1959-12: Vol 32 Iss 12

RICHARD ERIC HARDIE came to Canada in 1948 with Northwest Industries Ltd. as production superintendent.
In 1954 he took his present position as assistant manager of Alta Bend, Ltd.
Born in Birkenhead, England, Mr. Hardie completed his education at Bootle Technical College.
His first positions were with Fairey Aviation Co. and Handley Page, Ltd. He was part of the Control Commission for Germany Disarmament and
British delegate to Four-Power Committee (War Plants Bureau), Berlin, before coming to Canada.
From 1940 to 1944 Mr. Hardie served in the Middlesex Regiment (H.G.).
He has been continuously active in Chapter work, serving on the entertainment committee, as secretary and vice-chairman.
His recreational interests are soccer, cricket and tennis and he is interested in amateur dramatics and classical music.
Daughter Jennifer is approaching her first birthday.
Dan

THE BUILDER Aug. 21 1897

Technical School, Bootle. — In response to the advertisements of the Bootle Corporation inviting competitive plans of a Technical School to be erected at the corner of Balliol- road and Pembroke-road, at a cost not exceeding £15.000, and offering premiums of 50, 30, and 20 guineas for the three best designs, there have been received twenty-two sets of plans. Mr. W. E. Willink, President of the Liverpool Architectural Society, has been appointed by the Free Library and Museum Committee to act as referee to advise them in the consideration of the plans. There were forty applications to the Borough Engineer for a plan of the site and instructions, and the Committee has resolved that the guinea deposits of those architects who failed to compete be not returned.

Winning design

Runner-up

Dan

Bootle Times March 17 1977

Hugh Baird College open day for the general public.

Dan

Bootle Times August 25 1977.

Further Education options in Bootle.

Dan

Bootle Times May 21 1992

Hugh Baird U-19s British College Champions.

Dan

The Times February 7 1994.

Job advert for a College Principal.