ST WILFRIDS HIGH SCHOOL LITHERLAND

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Audra Cregeen-Guy

Anyone on the Forum from this school? I went there in the early 80's
tine

Hi Audra
I went to St Wildfrids, but from '68 to '73. My eldest attended in the 90's and the youngest finished just last year. The school is still turning out some well-educated pupils.....long may it continue!
Tine
Campbell, Duffy, Davies, Melia, Gibson , O'Donnell, Owen and Evans Families.
42aitch

Hi

I also attended St. Wilfrid's but was in the first input in 1953 and started from the 1st years. We were told that the reputation of the school would depend on us because we would be the first to spend all our secondary education there. My two sons also attended there one from 1975 and the other from 1979. When I was there it was girls at one end of the school, Orrell Lane, and the boys at the Hawthorne Road end. Woe betide any of the girls who went into the wrong end of the school we would be in big trouble with our headmistress Sister Marie.
I was with a number of other girls who went onto the playing fields after school hours to watch the boys playing football against another school and we were called to task the following morning.
Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
Glenys

Hi Audra,
Welcome to the site.

Noticed your Guy surrname - I used to have a friend Patricia Guy, she would be in her early to mid 60's now, who lived in Litherland somewhere near St.Wilfred's School, before she married and moved to Formby.

After her father died her mum went to live in Captains Lane. Tricia had a couple of brothers.

Does her name ring any bells?
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Audra Cregeen-Guy

[quote="Glenys"]Hi Audra,
Welcome to the site.

Noticed your Guy surrname - I used to have a friend Patricia Guy, she would be in her early to mid 60's now, who lived in Litherland somewhere near St.Wilfred's School, before she married and moved to Formby.

After her father died her mum went to live in Captains Lane. Tricia had a couple of brothers.

Does her name ring any bells?[/quote]

Hi Glenys,
My name Guy is my married name and my husband is from North Carolina USA, this is now where I live. So sorry I dont no anyone by that name in the UK. It was good to hear from you. Thank you
Audra Cregeen-Guy

[quote="tine"]Hi Audra
I went to St Wildfrids, but from '68 to '73. My eldest attended in the 90's and the youngest finished just last year. The school is still turning out some well-educated pupils.....long may it continue!
Tine[/quote]

Hi Tina,
Thank you for getting in touch, it is good to know that St. Wilfrids is still going strong. I liked school but I think my best years where spent in the Hugh Baird College on Balliol Road, Bootle. I was there for two years studying Graphic Design, which lead me to some great jobs.
Good to hear from you
Audra xx
Audra Cregeen-Guy

[quote="42aitch"]Hi

I also attended St. Wilfrid's but was in the first input in 1953 and started from the 1st years. We were told that the reputation of the school would depend on us because we would be the first to spend all our secondary education there. My two sons also attended there one from 1975 and the other from 1979. When I was there it was girls at one end of the school, Orrell Lane, and the boys at the Hawthorne Road end. Woe betide any of the girls who went into the wrong end of the school we would be in big trouble with our headmistress Sister Marie.
I was with a number of other girls who went onto the playing fields after school hours to watch the boys playing football against another school and we were called to task the following morning.
Eileen[/quote]

Hi Eileen,
What is your Sons name who attended in 1979?
42aitch

Hi Audra and Glenys,

Audra my son is Ian Simpson known as Ciggyn at school.

Glenys, I was in the same class as Patricia Guy at St. Elizabeths and then at St. Wilfrids, she lived in Walker Drive and had a brother Billy and I think the other brother was George. I have not had any contact with her since we left school although we were good friends whilst at school. I also knew her cousin Tony Norman and still see him occasionally, he also went to St. Elizabeths and St. Wilfrids.

Eileen(nee Jack)
42aitch

Sorry that should have been Ciggy
Eileen
Glenys

Eileen,
Patricia, or Tricia as I knew her, married Paul Wentworth, and came to live in Formby in the mid 1960's, we worked for the same building company in Formby. She and her husband moved to Ainsdale, then Birkdale. They had three daughters, but sadly they split up many years ago. I believe she moved down south.
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya

I was St Wilfrids from 78 - 82.

Also went to St Elizabeths before then.

Mack ( site admin )
42aitch

Hi Glenys and Mack

I couldn't think of the name of her husband, Paul used to live next door to another friend's husband, Vinny Thompson. It would have been nice to get back in touch with Tricia.

Mack
What is your name, I only know you as Mack, maybe my Son will know you.

Eileen
petero69

Hi

Like Audra I was in the first intake at St Wilfrids, moving up from St. Elizabeths. I was at the boys end and I don't think any of us enjoyed the division. I remember our headmaster Mr. Diggle he had a motar board but seldom had it on but he always wore the gown. He was the only one who could cane us, our form teachers had to send us to him if we misbehaved (which none of us little angels ever did).

Pete
petero69

Hi

Like Audra I was in the first intake at St Wilfrids, moving up from St. Elizabeths. I was at the boys end and I don't think any of us enjoyed the division. I remember our headmaster Mr. Diggle he had a mortar board but seldom had it on but he always wore the gown. He was the only one who could cane us, our form teachers had to send us to him if we misbehaved (which none of us little angels ever did).

Pete
tine

Hi Pete

When I went back after the summer break to go into third year, we were the first lot to be 'mixed' with the boys. Needless to say, I think everyone dropped a stream after that.....went from A to B :D

Tine
Campbell, Duffy, Davies, Melia, Gibson , O'Donnell, Owen and Evans Families.
Dobbsyboy

Went there from 78-83 and hated every single minute of it......I also remember some of the teachers I had there only retired a few years ago. Mr Brooks and Dr Owen who taught me Spanish and Maths respectively.

The only teacher I had any respect for was Mr Forshaw or "Fosh" as my class called him, brilliant teacher but an absolute demon if you crossed him.

Anyone else got a favourite teacher from their time there?
Robbo 46

I was there 74-79 :lol:
Nec Aspera Terrent (Difficulties be Damned)
walriley

I was there at the same time as Mack (ie 78-82).
Mack
Site Admin

Oi Dobbsy !!!!

Remember Fosh's catch phrase "YOU BOY !!!" then he would put his hand on your head and spin you round as you sunk into the ground...

I remember Mr Brooks ( Spanish teacher ) he was ace. My fave teacher tho had to be Mr Lennon who taught music. He used to give up his after school hours to teach me finger picking on the guitar. He gave me a Simon and Garfulkle LP to listen to the n went through them teaching me how to finger pick the songs. Top bloke... always thought he was related to John Lennon and only found out when I met him a few years later at a show we where doing in Goddard Hall, Linacre Road that he actually wasn't.

Mack
Dobbsyboy

Oh man that brings back memories-that was scary wasn't it? Arsing round in a corridor or a class and "YOU BOY!" comes blasting out!

Didn't like Mr Brooks but you remember Dr Owen? The same brown cordurouy suit and string vest combinaton every day for 5 years? My god...!

The best though had to be Mr Spencer for chemistry-the man could not run or control a class to save his life-in one lesson he nearly nuked the science lab with us in it by getting an experiment badly wrong! I had Mr Dean for Music but I always thought Lennon taught English?
paulwheelie

Hi Dobsy

PAUL WHELAN HERE

I remember Macker stapling his finger to the desk to get out of an exam, History. Ha Ha. An gun powder smuggled from france in his radio, and he built a gunpowder mountain in the school yard and set it on fire and it blew up in his face!!! couldnt open his eyes, again missed another exam!!. The kids a wrong'un!!!!
Book is out now

www.feedbackmagazine.org
Former Live Transmision band member, Co-author of Liverpoool Eric's book.Out April 2009
Mack
Site Admin

om gosh HA HA Paul I remember that. I'm a bit scared to actually reply to the smuggling of the gunpowder in a radio into the UK in case it is taken out of context and my post is monitored and I am interogated by a super secret task force cell for a school prank in 1980's when we used to play with Fireworks that where illegal in the UK back then. Aww wot the heck com and get me !!! I'll wear a big sign on my head saying "Bleep Bleep!"

Also other tip regarding avoiding exams ! do not staple your finger to desk to get out of exams like i did ... it causes prolonged pain in fingers and the telly in the afternoon is rubbish anyway.

Mack
henry

that was very good BLEEP BLEEP
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Dobbsyboy

He's a wrong 'un isn't he? Stapling a finger to a desk to get out of a history exam-and he's now site admin of a history website-ironic eh?

Had D'arostegui for history-told me I was rubbish at the subject and banished me to the back of the class to "be left to rot"-what a charmer huh? Must have p****d him off no end when I actually passed the exam....
JPS

Hi everyone i went the willies in the sixty,s played football for em anyone go round tht time..luv to hear from yea..
Dobbsyboy

And it's all due to go soon isn't? Isn't a closure or a merger on the cards? I don't know whether to be sad or happy about that...
42aitch

Dobbsyboy

I haven't heard anything about closure. I do know that they are merging the 6th form with Sterrix Lane when the new Sefton 6th form college is completed. This is due later this year I believe in time for the September term. It is looking very good, I passed it today and they have tarmaced the front entrance and all the landscaping is coming along.

Eileen
Dobbsyboy

I thought I read that it was closing and merging with another School in the area-but that was some 6 months ago and I can't really remember what paper the article was in. Maybe that was the confusion arose.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the place, and whether it stays, merges or goes to be honest -some good teachers, some bad,same with the pupils. I learnt a lot but never actually "got anything" from it I'm afraid, though I tried my best when I attended.
Donna_D

I was there from 1983 until 1988. During that time it was set on fire twice and the second and biggest fire destroyed the library. I remember after they had cleared and secured it we were allowed to be taught in the science block above where the library was and being able to see the pavement far below through a hole in the science room floor!
walriley

And the smaller fire was set by my mate who ended up doing time for it!
rockanrollagain

Oh eh up Mack I think they're onto ya
Dan

St Wilfrid's Re-union at the Lathom, posted on youtube July 22 2013.

Glenys

Eileen (42aitch).

Paul Wentworth died a year or two ago. He had remarried and lived in Southport.

Glenys
Mack
Site Admin

How the site looks December 2021.

St Wilfrids site photos, December 2021.

Photos are by Carl Davies and Mickey Hough from the Memories of Growing up in Litherland (Sefton) Facebook page.

Thank you guys for sharing these online. I'm sure you won't mind me posting them over here on our Bootle forum for archive purposes.

Dan

Bootle Times January 15 1954

Picture of the first intake of St Wilfrid's. The school opened Thursday January 7 1954.