Bootle grammar photos 1961

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Lesjohnson

One of bobhamos photos from 1961 shows my class possibly 3 or 4alpha, with our form master who taught us French and played the violin with us singing along to La Marseillaise. I’m sitting to his left, Stuart Menzies is to his right, then Malcom Roberts. On the back row third from left is Andy Windsor who was a good footballer who went on to play for Marine. Further along is Tony Taylor who lived o Southport Road and just below him is Roger Yates who I think had a false leg. I still recognise nearly all of them but I can’t put names to them. Not bad after 60 years, ha, ha!
Cheers Les Johnson

BOBHAMO

Welcome Les, Andy played for skem in a team with Steve Hieghway also then went to Altringham
he was a mate of mine a bit older he ended up as Head master for a litherland School
he did some guest games for the Rem club in the crosby and district
what a player sometimes only playing half a game but always scored
glad he came off as i was player who was sub :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Lesjohnson

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply, and for the info on Andy Windsor. Can’t believe he ended up as a head. Do you know the name of the French teacher in my photo?
I don’t know what year you were in in 61, but some other names that might ring a bell, although they weren’t in my class -Billy Thelwell, Frank Slowey, Eric and Roy Rimmer, Robert Moore and a little older Bob Thomas(who I think was a prefect). Bob was Ok but I think I was more scared of the prefects than of the teachers! I can’t believe the stuff they used to throw or thrash us with!
I didn’t keep in touch with any of my contemporaries after leaving, my mates were all from St.Monica’s or St George’s.
Regards Les
oldroanerroamer

Hi les, The name of the french teacher was Mr Bright or Brightly. I found french difficult and he didn't help much.
Regards
George
Lesjohnson

Thanks George, now you’ve said it I think it was Brightly. The only thing I can remember about him apart from him playing the violin was that before he punished anyone he had to have a few minutes in the stockroom to compose himself. I think he was quite a shy person but we didn’t him much respite.ha,ha. Happy days, I think.
Cheers Les
ken

The only French teacher who was any good there was Wilkinsin. I only had him when I was in Remove A in 1952/3. After that they were all bad though of course the worst was Matt's bete noire (see I do know some French) Piggy Porter may he be burning still down below. I failed French O Level unsurprisingly.

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
Dan

March 1961 Form 5A

Tommy L

I remember this like yesterday !
Especially the hair cut.
That's me middle row fourth from right.
Sixty years ago.
The form master was French teacher Mr. Garrett...........didn't need a cane !................his tongue lashings hurt a darn sight more !...............absolutely no sense of humour but French was my top subject so I guess his disciplinarian methods worked on me anyway.
Best mates with George Heymans , Alex Palmer , Les Ellis and Dave Jones.
Played in a rock group with Les Ellis [ drums ] and George Heymans [ guitar / vocals ] a few years later.
Every street in Bootle seemed to generate a group of rock wannabies in those years.
God knows how we afforded the instruments / amplifiers / mics / transport
H.P. probably
Lesjohnson

Hi Tommy did you ever marry Georgia
Les
Tommy L

Sorry !

You got the wrong Tommy..............

Georgia ????
Lesjohnson

Sorry. My wife’s fault. She knew Les Ellis and George and thought she knew you?
Sorry again
Les