Bootle Hospital

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
rankin216

Does anyone know what ever happened to the records from Bootle Hospital? Are they archived somewhere? Are they accessible to research?
Jan

:D

Hi Rankin,

The only records for Bootle hospital that I know of are photographs held at Liverpool Records Office, I have no idea where any of the records went to, maybe destroyed!

These are the only records I have come across from Liverpool RO online catalogue, but there may be records else where, but I don't know where.

614 BOT
Title Bootle Borough Hospital Photographs
Date c1898-1900
Description Photographs of scenes from Bootle Borough Hospital
AdminHistory Bootle General Hospital began life as a dispensary in 1846. Bootle's population had grown so much by the 1860s that it became necessary to build a hospital. The first Bootle Borough Hospital opened in a house on Berry Street in 1866. It had room for just five emergency cases. As Bootle's population continued to grow in the late 19th century a larger hospital was needed. The 15th Earl of Derby donated a plot of land for a new hospital on Derby Road and William Geves, T.P. Danson and other local men raised enough money to pay for the building. The new Bootle Borough Hospital was officially opened by the Earl of Derby on 10 April 1872. This building cost ?4200 to build. In 1877 a new wing was officially opened by Mr T.H. Ismay and the following year the old hospital wing was renovated. These renovations were paid for by public subscription to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

Bootle hospital was the first voluntary hospital in England to provide an ambulance service. In 1889 a Mr W.A. Matheson presented the hospital with a horse drawn ambulance. The hospital changed its name twice to Bootle General Hospital in 1931 and then to Bootle Hospital in 1953 before its closure in 1976.
Extent 12 items
AccessConditions Access will be given to any accredited reader

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
lily8

Morning Jan :P I had a look in the National archives some stuff in there that may be of use??: It says Bootle library but I am guessing it would perhaps have been moved to the local history section at Crosby Library?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hosp ... 743&page=6
Lily
Jan

:D

Hi Lily,

Thanks for that, I think the ref is for the photo's they hold 614 BOT.

Cheers

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
margaret willee

rankin216 wrote:Does anyone know what ever happened to the records from Bootle Hospital? Are they archived somewhere? Are they accessible to research?
rankin have sent you a p.m ..... Margaret
have a great day .......
Brunnyboy

spent a few nites in there when iwas ten i escaped after the nurse took my sweets of me had the police looking for me
Dan

Bootle Hospital nurse CMH Lewis's medal from 1960.

margaret willee

:?:
have a great day .......
bjones

Hello Margaret, great to see your name on here :D
Didn't you train at Bootle?
I think this is what Dan's on about;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225798288702 ... R-TW_tDeYg
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.