marshall and weetch

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
cathy19

does anyone rember marshall and weetch in marsh lane and irlam road i work in both shops everyone got tick and mr marshall always give all the kids a biscuit he was alovely man and a pleasure to work for i also remember parrs the chandlerys he was a very nice guy ran the shop with his mother and norman and rita in the greengrocers sister and brother always a happy shop and my mothher worked in the pawn shop we were well off then she had the pick of all the run out pledges
i am cathy riley was mc donald lived on rimrose road estate now live in old roan.
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Cathy, my mum Mo (Mary Kate) Kearney worked there in the 60,s early 70,s, another lady, tall with grey hair maybe called Vi worked there too.

Sheelagh
cathy19

[quote="Sheelagh Tequila"]Hiya Cathy, my mum Mo (Mary Kate) Kearney worked there in the 60,s early 70,s, another lady, tall with grey hair maybe called Vi worked there

hi shelia i remeber your mum when my mum sent me shopping in there she worked with alady named mary ward and vi she was lovely i workr=ed with vi her husband ran a supermarket in ford for mr marshall they had supermarkets all over liverpool at the timeagh[/quote]
i am cathy riley was mc donald lived on rimrose road estate now live in old roan.
Sheelagh Tequila

Small world Cathy..What school did you go to and what years,.I was at St. Joans untill 1961 then to St.James untill 64, we lived on Peel Rd.

Sheelagh
MaggieF

I remember it well. Used to shop there for my mum and gran. Also remember Mrs Lewis in the sweet shop. I was born in Heman Street, then moved to Anderson Ave. Used to call into the shops on my way home from St. James.
Lived in Heman Street, Anderson Avenue
tuckerben

Hello Cathy 19
I was the order lad in the Carr Meadow Hey shop round about 1954. The manager was Arthur, I pestered him for the job when they first opened up. It was a great job to go to straight from school and Arthur could be a good laugh. I was sent to Marsh Lane for some reason a few times on Saturdays.
Take care
kenswayken

Must have seen you around Ford, Tucker. I did a paper round from Randall Drive - Poulsen Avenue for Ashworths in Litherland :wink: Ken
brenr

cathy19 wrote:does anyone rember marshall and weetch in marsh lane and irlam road i work in both shops everyone got tick and mr marshall always give all the kids a biscuit he was alovely man and a pleasure to work for i also remember parrs the chandlerys he was a very nice guy ran the shop with his mother and norman and rita in the greengrocers sister and brother always a happy shop and my mothher worked in the pawn shop we were well off then she had the pick of all the run out pledges
Hi I lived in Simons Croft from 1960 - 1974 and remember Marshalls shop in Carr Meadow Hey, cant recall the ladies names, the only people that I knew in the shops was annete Poston who worked in the Chemist as she was the sister of my schoolfriend tommy, also Tony Chan who owned the Chippy, I used to get a great tip at Christmas fwhen collecting my paper round monies
tuckerben

Hello
In 1960 I was living at 2 Simons Croft, looking out to the bus stop.
brenr

tuckerben wrote:Hello
In 1960 I was living at 2 Simons Croft, looking out to the bus stop.
I was in the square number 53, live in Harris Drive now, represent the area as a Sefton Cllr.

Kind regards

Bobby Brennan
caroline2964

My cousin directed me to this site. My name is Caroline. My grandfather, Edwin 'Ted' Marshall was the Marshall half of Marshall and Weetch. I only know bits but I remember going with my mother to Oxford Street shop and Carr Meadow Hay (I lived on Fleetwoods Lane, Netherton and grandparents in Ford). The chain of shops grew rapidly. They chain was, as someone rightly remembers, all over Liverpool. My grandfather was a kindly, quiet gentle man who had no hesitation in taking the biscuit barrel outside for the child sitting in the pram waiting patiently for mum to finish shopping. He provided 'a slate' for those who didn't have the required re-numerations for the tea. In the 70s the company went into liquidation. A sad time. The big supermarkets were rearing their ugly heads and the business could not compete. I have a beautiful hanky that was given to my grandfather when he closed his shop in Oxford Street, down. A customer had written all over it, and drew pictures of my lovely granddad. It was a story come poem written in beautiful scouse lulling lyrics talking about our 'wonderful grocer' about the 'slate' about the kids waiting. My grandfather went on to become the concierge at the Liver Buildings and he died 37 years ago. My mum sometimes worked in the shop if needed and I think I have photos of the 'works' team on a night out. If anyone interested
BOBHAMO

Welcome Caroline
all photos are welcome :D :D
i lived in ford by the shops but it was 80s
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

Mum always used M&W in Carr Meadow Hey. I remember them giving out broken biscuits to us kids on the way to school.
:D Happy Days
Bonesy

Ken, My mum worked in M & W in Carr Meadow Hey for a while. When M & W moved on my brother bought the shop along with Lunts the sweet shop.
By coincidence member Kathy Moorcrofts brother bought the shop sometime later.

Keith
Invicta

Hoped you’d see that post Cus for more input from you for our youth ( childhood in my case :lol: ). Ken
Bri

Interesting to read about M&W and I for one would like to see the works "night out" pics as my mum worked in the Carr Meadow Hey shop for years, with Keiths mum, and her and my dad attended some of the "do's". Rereading the posts, Ken I too worked for Ashworths and delivered papers around our estate, using the bike that he provided to each lad, I delivered 106 Echos every night and received 12p per night for the pleasure, and loved it!
Invicta

Built like a tank those bikes Bri. Nice tips at Xmas. 1 Shilling & 6 pence I got as wages, Just evenings no mornings. K