lad killed on railway

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
jimmyx3

surestart wrote:
jimmyx3 wrote:
surestart wrote:When I was little I used to go to St winnys school, the one where you went over Coffee house bridge and turned left. Just after Xmas 1967, me and another kid climbed up the railway embankment facing the Railway pub. I was always terrified of the lines because my grandad worked for the railways and had always drummed into me what would happen if I went near them. The lad who was with me asked me to cross the lines with him but I was to scared so he decided to go it alone. He took one step and slipped on the snow/ice right on the live line, I think he was killed instantly. What a waste of a life, he was 7 or 8. His name was Brendan Maye. :cry:
Some terrible loss of life, but I always remember Brendan, I was a classmate and can still see him now, RIP Brendan.
We must've been in the same class Jimmy
Hi, we may have been in the same class,
I was thinking about Brendan just recently, which is why I searched this thread, in my mind's eye I can see him in those old school mackintosh coats with a belt around the waist, I wonder if anyone has a photo of Brendan Maye?
my name is Jimmy O'Connell, I went to St Winnie's then St Joans, then Salesian,
Bye for now Jimmy

I've just searched his details,
Name: Brendan C Maye
Death Age: 7
Birth Date: abt 1961
Registration Date: Mar 1968
Registration district: Bootle
Inferred County: Lancashire
"Three Days in June." Parachute Regiment, https://phelmets.wixsite.com/mysite
PeterR

Hi Jimmyx You are obviously feeling a bit sad just lately recalling what happened to Brendan God Bless him and I share Your saddness, it wasnot a nice thing to have to recall, but I bet since then You will have saved 1000s of lives telling kids to stay off the railway, sadly as You will note in My prevous posts WE have all done it and are lucky to have lived. RIP Brendan.
Peter
Born in Spenser Street
surestart

You were right about the mac Jimmy, a Mr Ellis who worked for the gas board ( some things just stick in your brain ) lifted Brendan off the live line by the belt on his mac. It was just over 50 years ago and I remember every detail like it was yesterday :cry:
efc46

I cast my mind back to Blackie killed on the leckie line Atkenside street as we all did went with Tommy Ellison terry Riley to see .This copper come up to us with the lads shriveled shoe an said"this is what happens when go on the leckie lines" I still think of the poor lad never played dare on the leckie lines again R.I.P lad /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Dan

Found this in a cutting I'd saved, about the setting up of the "gun site school" - Sterrix Lane.

Young boy, Kevin Maher aged 9, killed on the railway line by Bank Road, playing out on a Saturday afternoon.

Bootle Times. February 10 1951.

Rapidojoe

Surestart
I lived at the bottom of Bedford rd. near the junction with Queens rd. I went to St Winefrides and remember George Furey who drowned in the canal near Coffee house bridge.