lad killed on railway

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
d.c.h

can anyone remember the lad that got killed between bank hall and Orel road i think it was in the middle by bedford road by the signal box if i remember wright i think it was 1975-6 the lads name was Alan McCarthy thanks all.dave
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Moved this from "Bootle Photos" section to "Talk about the History of Bootle" section as it seemed more appropriate.

Mack
Thommos sister

Hi there
This may help BB's who may remember the sad death
Alan McCarthy died 1977 jan-march qtr
born 27 Oct 1964.

T.S
tipster

That name does,nt ring a bell, but i can remember , coming home from the Winnies, about the same year, and a lad being killed at Oriel Rd, sure his name was Ray mc Clellan ?
TONY
surestart

When I was little I used to go to St winnys school, the one where you went over Coffee house bridge and turned left. Just after Xmas 1967, me and another kid climbed up the railway embankment facing the Railway pub. I was always terrified of the lines because my grandad worked for the railways and had always drummed into me what would happen if I went near them. The lad who was with me asked me to cross the lines with him but I was to scared so he decided to go it alone. He took one step and slipped on the snow/ice right on the live line, I think he was killed instantly. What a waste of a life, he was 7 or 8. His name was Brendan Maye. :cry:
Thommos sister

So sad :cry:
Death Brendan C Maye
Bootle 1968 aged 7 yrs.
Sorry so many variations for McClellan, Ray could have been Raymond or a nickname.

T.S
Ed Davies

Raymond McClellan was in my class at St Augustines he had bunked off school when I think a bishop came to visit the school.
He died on the railway line oposite Walton Jail. I got this information from one of my mates who was with him on the day R.I.P. Ray

Raymond John Mcclellan
Birth Date: 4 Nov 1958
Death Registration Month/Year: 1971
Registration district: Liverpool
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10d
Page: 506
Ed
tipster

show s how puddled my head is, i remember the 3 now,
TONY
Thommos sister

Thanks Ed for your findings

T.S :)
Bootle Lad

I seem to remember a lad from Seaforth getting killed on the railway at Seaforth in the early 50s, I think his name was David Black
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
Vivienc

The boys name was Alan MCcarthy he lived in Northfield Road we lived in number 25 he was 7 years old very sad [/b]
Born Northfield rd 1961 from a large family went to Roberts and George's moved to south Africa1985 to 2006 now live in usa
Ed Davies

Hi Vivienc
Welcome to the site Thanks for the information very sad just a child really. You posted almost a year to the day from the first post How did you find the site?
Ed
davybaby

I remember a Lad in my class at St James's being electrocuted near
to Marsh Lane Station, it would be about 1949, the whole of the Junior
classes lined Chestnut Grove, first time I'd ever seen a Coffin! as I recall
his first name was Michael . . .
PETER CRAIG

Vivienc wrote:The boys name was Alan MCcarthy he lived in Northfield Road we lived in number 25 he was 7 years old very sad [/b]
Welcome to the Bootle forum Vivienc,
Peter.
Sonoma

idon't remember any rway deaths but do remember a couple of boys drowning in the LeedsLpool canal. One was my classmate at St Winny's named George Furey who fell in wearing wellies which dragged him under. It would have been around 1957-8 ish. Another was a little lad from St John's Rd area who was walking on the parapet on Coffee House Bridge and lost his balance - fell onto the concrete and rolled into the water. He was about 7 or 8 yo and his mother was a widow. Can't remember his name though I can remember the family
Myra

I remember the boy being killed on the railway lines as I lived on wood avenue right next to Walton jail. There was an entry from Wood Avenue that ran parallel with the jail on the right and to the left a bridge over the railway and the entry towards the Carlton cinema The trains were goods trains and traveled slow. So we would jump of the bridge wall and onto the trains for a ride. One day kids came running into the street saying a kid had jumped and landed between the wagons and had been killed. The Police came around asking questions and our parents found out what we all had been doing. Next thing we knew they had cemented broken glass pieces on the top of the bridge wall so we couldn't climb on or over. Could you imagine putting broken glass on a wall nowadays to deter kids.
Myra
dezzer

Any one remeber Joe Kelly's son killed on the railway in Bootle area JOE KELLY LIVED ON MARSH LANE AREA Y bfore he moved to devon
Brunnyboy

yes remember it well another tragic event
smoked out

A reminder and remembrance to them all

surestart

Sonoma wrote:idon't remember any rway deaths but do remember a couple of boys drowning in the LeedsLpool canal. One was my classmate at St Winny's named George Furey who fell in wearing wellies which dragged him under. It would have been around 1957-8 ish. Another was a little lad from St John's Rd area who was walking on the parapet on Coffee House Bridge and lost his balance - fell onto the concrete and rolled into the water. He was about 7 or 8 yo and his mother was a widow. Can't remember his name though I can remember the family
That was Michael Walsh. His mother was separated from her husband not a widow. Dont know where you got the info that he fell from the parapet and rolled into the water from ?
Sonoma

Surestart
That's not the name I recall. I think it was Joseph something.
Bigtezza

The Joseph name is correct, I used to play with him. I think he lived in Hamlet Street.
surestart

Sonoma wrote:Surestart
That's not the name I recall. I think it was Joseph something.
Oh right. Michael lived at the Bootle end of St johnny he was found by Coffee house bridge, he had been missing for weeks, kids were throwing stones at his body, they obviously didnt know it was a body. From what I can remember there was a big gash on his head, it was assumed that maybe he had been swinging on one of the many ropes under the bridges slipped, knocked himself out and drowned. :(
Sonoma

Yes it was Hamlet St. My cousins (Mary Craven and Ann Daley)owned the bake shop on the corner of St John's Rd
I think Joseph drowned around mid 1960s. The story was he was walking on the parapet on CH Bridge and his cap blew off. He tried to grab it and lost his balance falling onto the bank and into the water
Bigtezza

Sonoma - I think it may have been very late 50s or 1960 as we moved up to Wolfenden Ave at that time.
PeterR

Myra wrote:I remember the boy being killed on the railway lines as I lived on wood avenue right next to Walton jail. There was an entry from Wood Avenue that ran parallel with the jail on the right and to the left a bridge over the railway and the entry towards the Carlton cinema The trains were goods trains and traveled slow. So we would jump of the bridge wall and onto the trains for a ride. One day kids came running into the street saying a kid had jumped and landed between the wagons and had been killed. The Police came around asking questions and our parents found out what we all had been doing. Next thing we knew they had cemented broken glass pieces on the top of the bridge wall so we couldn't climb on or over. Could you imagine putting broken glass on a wall nowadays to deter kids.
Jumping from that bridge was suicide, it was very high- I was "Into" all these things but never heard about deliberately jumping here .
Broken glass on walls was common thing behind shops -but was easy to get over with a coal sack on the broken glass-if need was urgent !! Boys will be Boys !
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
jimmyx3

surestart wrote:When I was little I used to go to St winnys school, the one where you went over Coffee house bridge and turned left. Just after Xmas 1967, me and another kid climbed up the railway embankment facing the Railway pub. I was always terrified of the lines because my grandad worked for the railways and had always drummed into me what would happen if I went near them. The lad who was with me asked me to cross the lines with him but I was to scared so he decided to go it alone. He took one step and slipped on the snow/ice right on the live line, I think he was killed instantly. What a waste of a life, he was 7 or 8. His name was Brendan Maye. :cry:
Some terrible loss of life, but I always remember Brendan, I was a class mate and can still see him now, RIP Brendan.
Philly/Gags

My Brother was killed on the railway John Garrity dont have much info family never talked about it. It would have been around 1949/51 my mother was carrying either myself or my brother Kenneth at the time, whoever it was we survived John didnt. RIP Kiddo

Phil
bootle/dodge/bootle
surestart

jimmyx3 wrote:
surestart wrote:When I was little I used to go to St winnys school, the one where you went over Coffee house bridge and turned left. Just after Xmas 1967, me and another kid climbed up the railway embankment facing the Railway pub. I was always terrified of the lines because my grandad worked for the railways and had always drummed into me what would happen if I went near them. The lad who was with me asked me to cross the lines with him but I was to scared so he decided to go it alone. He took one step and slipped on the snow/ice right on the live line, I think he was killed instantly. What a waste of a life, he was 7 or 8. His name was Brendan Maye. :cry:
Some terrible loss of life, but I always remember Brendan, I was a class mate and can still see him now, RIP Brendan.
We must've been in the same class Jimmy
d.c.h

allan went to my school when we was kids he lived in store street off marsh st
efc46

Bootle Lad wrote:I seem to remember a lad from Seaforth getting killed on the railway at Seaforth in the early 50s, I think his name was David Black
Hi I remember that day very well we were all down in Akenside street (outside Tommy Ellisons house) this copper showed the chard shoe and said" this is what what happens on the leckie lines" the lads name was Black. still gives me the
willies today Davey Rowlands (ex Pat)
Davey Rowlands Bootle
PeterR

Yes, Very sorry about these boys -RIP lads , but there a few of us on this site who have done these silly things and lived to tell the tale, I'm ONE-Lucky to have lived past 12 Years of age! My Guardian Angel must have got sick of pulling me out of trouble when I was a kid. specially on railways.
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
jmoorcroft

I remember a boy from Bank Rd who was killed on the railway around the back of his house. The house was the end house before you turned into Carolina St. I seem to recall a sign in the front window advertising B and B, as sometimes lorry drivers had to stay overnight if their goods were not unloaded at the docks. Also sadly a boy named McHugh (hope the spelling is correct) and his nephew, YES his older sisters son , both from the same house in Bank Rd. The story was, that one fell in the canal (back of Packenhams rag and bone yard) and the other boy tried to pull him out, I still see a couple of the elder brothers now and again Bernard and Tommy. Jim
jmoorcroft
john j connell

Jim, i don't know if it was the same tragic incident, but a young boy (Joey Kelly's son) was electrocuted on the railway at the rear of his house on Bank Rd in the early 70s, the house was the first on the left (number 74) as you turned into Bank Rd from Strand Rd, it was split into 3 flats, the lorry drivers B&B was the first house on the left as you went past Carolina St in the direction of Browne St, JJC.
jmoorcroft

Spot on John. Had a swift half with your Jimmy in the Solly last week. Jim.
jmoorcroft