Old Petrol station on park lane

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
rivermersey

Does anyone remember (and hopefully have a picture of) the petrol station that used to be on Park Lane Netherton opposite the old fire station and what was at the time Littlewoods sports club? I remember it had an upturned canoe? on the attendants booth in the days when THEY used to serve you with petrol.
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
Joycen60

Sorry Dont remember the petrol station but have fond memories of the fair that used to come to the sports ground once a year.Won many a goldfish there! Also remember pleading to go on the big wheel but when I did was so scared and screamed so loud they had to stop it and get me off.I have never been on any of those sort of rides since!
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
OurPhil

My mother worked for Littlewoods Pools and once a year we'd go to the sports ground and I think there was something called the 'woodentops' or something;
I think I remember the petrol station, but haven't any photos - sorry.
Phil.
" Open wide your sails, let them be filled with the Winds from Heaven. "
paton

Hi Paul, i remember the petrol station, its only been a few years since it closed down. I would have thought if anybody had any photos of it, it would have been you.

Rodney.
Rodney
Born in Gloucester Road,
surestart

I used to deliver bread there when I was a van lad for Homepride
gibbo1991

rivermersey wrote:Does anyone remember (and hopefully have a picture of) the petrol station that used to be on Park Lane Netherton opposite the old fire station and what was at the time Littlewoods sports club? I remember it had an upturned canoe? on the attendants booth in the days when THEY used to serve you with petrol.
i remember the petrol station very well, used to be a shop as well. we lived in hereford drive and used the shop in the early 60s havent any photos though. remember littlewoods field and the sports day there once a year and i even had a ride on an elephant there, the only time in my life i have seen an elephant, and i used to live in zimbabwe and have travelled in africa for over 40 years. regards jim gibbs
marcos_cu

Yes, I remember it well. It was the nearest one to our house in Netherton was close to where my Dad worked at English Electric and so became our local fill up stop. It had a small shop attached and, as I recall from when I proudly passed my driving test, quite a small gap between the pumps!
Formerly Assissian Crescent, Netherton - Bootle Grammar 1968-72

http://wip330.110mb.com/
http://www.withnellmill.co.uk/
daddyfixit

i do know that the station was owned by the same family who own the other station, on the other side of the lights on park lane. i can remember the pumps and the shop---but cant be exact as to when it was closed/ flattened.
Dan

The houses towards the Aintree end of Park Lane.

Bootle Times March 1 1935.