lots of pictures

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ron waters

PETER Thanks for that site , we always have our holidays in the UK and many of those photos have brought back many happy memories , have you noticed the one taken in CROSBY and the VERY BIG STONE , well that is the Big Stone thats in Coronation Park Thanks again . RON W
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmytx3

PETER CRAIG wrote:Good morning Ron W,

they also bring back fond memories of some of our holidays,
yes I have saved the picture of Crosby road, I have wandered where the stone came from, will have to go and have alook, do you know anything about it,

Thanks,
Peter,
Hi Peter, thank you for that link, i have just been looking at wales,
well done, bye for now jimmy
I buy german helmets
Kathy John Moorcroft

Hiya Peter, Yeah, Many thanks for that great link, It takes the auld memory back, Cheers John
ron waters

PETER If you go along Coronation Road and call into the park you will see the Big Stone dead ahead and on it there is a plaque, but no one is sure if it was a Meteorite , but I believe it was originally in a farmers field , I know one thing , it must have been a big wheelbarrow to wheel it down Coronation Road . RON W
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank delamere

PETER CRAIG wrote:Good morning Ron W,

they also bring back fond memories of some of our holidays,
yes I have saved the picture of Crosby road, I have wandered where the stone came from, will have to go and have alook, do you know anything about it,

Thanks,
Peter,
hi PETER, that stone was outside my grandfathers butchers shop, it was moved for the coronation in 1936??. the shop now has the crosby herald my father was born over the shop in 1898. and someone in my family has a photograph of ronnies mother standing in the doorway. i dont know who had though. tough luck
frank
ron waters

FRANK you are dead right , many years ago I remember seeing a photo of our Granddads butchers shop and also the big stone , but I have a feeling it was in Moor Lane , is that right ??, I seem to think I saw the photo at Auntie Winnies house .Regards RON
frank delamere

hi RON, the shop was at 44, liverpool road, the stone was roughly were the old roundabout was.
frank
frank delamere

it was a gypsum boulder, found in cooks lane in 1898
go to this site
http://www.sefton.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=4880
frank
frank delamere

RONNIE, just looked at the boulder picture. if you look at the cakeshop, with the men standing outside, that was a relatives cake shop, name ALCOCKS
next door on the left, was our grandfathers butchers shop. now the name of the cakeshop could have been CADDICK. but i am pretty sure it was alcock
frank
ron waters

FRANK Thanks for that ,I play bowls for the Meadows Hotel in Maghull and last Thursday we played against Crosby A team who play in that park
it was a cup tie and we played in Hatton Hill Park , we beat them easy , its interesting about the boulder though Thanks again . RON
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron waters

PETER Thats a great picture you took of Old Red Ron with his hat on , and his two workmates on the 12th Nov 1898
frank delamere

"THANK YOU" PETER. my father was born over his fathers butcher shop at
44 liverpool road g,crosby, 23rd may 1898. the shop was opposite the stone.
frank
BOBHAMO

DONT THINK IT WAS ARE RON HAS NOT GOT DONKEY JACKET ON ,BOBHAMO GREAT PICS PETER ,
red ron

tHAT WOULD JUST BE A GALL STONE FOR OLD R W. I am at the relocation of the stone. Well somebody had to hold it up while they got the supports under it.
Superb set of pics Peter. R R
mary elliott

hi

i understood from my school days (1940s) that the stone was from the ice age.

norman
ron waters

NORMAN THATS AN ICE ANSWER
Ron W
Dan

The pictures of the Coronation Park have long gone from the forum.

This is from the Champion (North Liverpool) edition July 21 2021.