Cable Works

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
IanA

During the war, my mum worked in the Cable Works in Bootle. I know roughly where it was but I would be interested to hear whether anyone has any pictures of it or knows the history of it - especially during the war years.

Ta.

Ian
BOBHAMO

this was taken in the war years ian , i have some info will have to look for it , bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

[img]
Liverpool Electric Cable Co
‎‎
1918. From Kempes Directory.
1918. From Kempes Directory.

of Linacre Lane, Bootle, Liverpool

* 1901 Company established.

* 1914 Manufacturers of vulcanised rubber and rubber bitumen insulated cables. [1]

* 1926 Patent - Improvements in and relating to insulated electric conductors. [2]

* 1937 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Maker of C. M. A. (Cable Makers' Association) Cables. Manufacturers of Electric Wires and Cables for all purposes. (Electricity: Industrial and Domestic Section - Stand Nos. Cb.501 and Cb.409) [3]

* 1937 Electric cable manufacturers. "Liverpool" Electric Cables. [4]

* 1945 Patent - Improvements relating to electric cable coupling boxes. [5]

* 1959 Acquired by AEI Cables. [/img]
bootle born altcar road
lily8

Lily
IanA

Thanks to Bob and Lily8 for the quick response. The cable is much more sophisticated than I thought and the link is really interesting. Though I think mum began work there on the shop floor, I think she was pretty soon drafted in to the office.
daveowe

There were two distinctive electric cable manufacturing companies next door to each other on Linacre Lane. In the pic Bobhamo posted the name Mersey Cable Works Ltd, is shown on the cable drum. This factory was next to the Coronation pub, the other company was the Liverpool Electric Cable Company which was on the corner opposite Vernons Pools. The Liverpool Cables started life as a wire rope factory, later converting to electric cables. In 1953, AEI acquired Siemens Bros, taking over the Liverpool Electric Cables Company in 1958.

Mersey Cables was acquired by Enfield Cables in 1961. After it folded it became Skellys motor dealership, then becoming Peoples motor dealership.
A previous thread http://www.bootlehistory.com/forum/view ... 1d847e19ed
lily8

Ian if you are interested in the history of cables you may find the following link useful.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=HUC ... es&f=false
Lily
Kathy John Moorcroft

My Dad and brother worked in the Cable works, (Vactite).

My sister also worked in the office there.

Kathy.
IanA

Hi Lily8 - not really interested in cables as such but fascinated at the complexity of the anti-submarine cables illustrated.

Daveowe - now you've thrown a spaniard in the works - mum only ever said that she used to work in 'the cable works'. It would be interesting to see if anyone remembered her - Edna Glendenning, as she would have been then - her contemporaries would be in their mid 80s by now. Incidentally, her uncle ran the barber's shop on Knowsley Road which was bombed in the war.
lily8

Good luck Ian hope someone can help

Cheers
Lily
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Kathy

I worked in Vactite too on work placement after leaving school in 1982. My job was to test the cables to make sure they where safe which involved getting many electric shocks. I was learning to build radio transmitters at the time so the copper wire that was getting chucked out came in very handy. Then I went on placement to Mannings Marine which was based on the Dock Road bottom of Millers Bridge learning how to repair ship motors. Sadly they too have now departed... Ah the memories...

Mack
Kathy John Moorcroft

Nice one Mack, a man of many talents..

With all thoses electric shocks you should have curly hair.. :wink:

I lost my sister earlier this year, I have her watch that she was given to her for 25 years service.
It is dated from 1948 to 1973, with Vactite Limited.
I just wondered when the change over took place..

Kathy.
jean eaton

Kathy our neighbor who lived on Linacre lane worked at the cable works, His name was Albert Thompson. His house was opposite side of the street.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Found this old pic, not a very clear one. Not sure of the year, 60's ???

It's my sister, Dad and Aunt..

Not sure if it is the Vactite in the background or other side of Street.??

Kathy.
daveowe

Kathy
Sure is Liverpool Electric Cable works/Vactite, in the background the tower Vernons Pools building. The ladies never without with their 'message' bags.
Dave
Kathy John Moorcroft

Thanks Dave, thought it was but wasn't sure..

Kathy.
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Thanks Peter good job, I have very few old photo's, so treasure the ones I have.

Kathy.
jean eaton

Kathy, I know what you mean about old family photos. Thanks to my niece in Wirral I have a lot more. Her dad, my late brother had kept many so she e-mailed them to me. In our parents day they didn't take to many photographs on the old box cameras.Wish I still had my dads old cameras.
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily8

Hi Folks this is not Bootle but maybe of interest to those who woked at the cable companies perhaps same methods were used?? though this is a 1930's clip.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=82809
Lily
Dan

Kathy John Moorcroft wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:54 am Found this old pic, not a very clear one. Not sure of the year, 60's ???

It's my sister, Dad and Aunt..

Not sure if it is the Vactite in the background or other side of Street.??

Kathy.
Dan

1920/23 Liverpool Electric Cable Company Limited, Linacre Lane.