South Park Square

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Graham@educato

Hi , My name's Graham. I'm new to this forum, altho I've been reading it with increasing fascination for a few weeks now. Its a really great forum, addictive too.

I lived in the prefabs in South Park Square, no. 5, from 1948-1960 when they moved us out to Glovers Lane in Netherton, directly opposite Warwick Bolam School. I went to St. Winnies juniors, first at the prefabs under the coffee house bridge and then to the big old building on the corner of Pembroke Rd., then to St. Mary's in Crosby. I left in '64.

I noticed a plea from Matt Wethered a couple of months back for info. about Frany Pike. He was a year older than me and we were best mates while we both lived in South Park Square. The Pikes were moved to Ford when we went to Netherton, they were right next to Sterrix Lane, then they moved to Aintree Rd. I know he's still alive, altho he's been in poor health, he's still in Liverpool. But his younger brothers Tony and Mark are both dead now.

Matt's a few years older than me but I remember him and his name very clearly....he was one of the big lads. I doubt he'd remember me, Graham Cunningham, I was quite a bit younger. I'm 62 now. Does Matt, or anybody else out there remember any of the kids from South Park Square. Directly opposite the Pikes was Steven Jones, two doors up were the Carneys, James, Chris and Anthony. Opposite us was Billy McDonald ( whose dad worked on the docks ) and next door to them the Rourke girls, Lillian, Kathleen and Sheila. I know Billy McDonald died along time ago now and Lillian Rourke too. The Malloys, Robert and Sandra lived just up the street too.

Do any of these names ring any bells for anyone ?

I was taken aback when I saw the picture of the prefabs in South Park Square posted on the forum. I haven't seen those prefabs for 50 years. It It took me right back to the idyllic childhood I enjoyed in South Park Square. Matt was right, we had the whole of South Park as our back garden. Happy, happy days. Does anybody have any other photos of them?

I live in North Devon now but my kid brother Dave still lives in the house in Glovers Lane. I have been minded to go back to Bootle, to walk around the streets, around South Park. I used to go to Roaches, a grocery shop on the corner of Miranda Road and Rosalind Street, to get my mums messages every Friday. Roaches was further along than Murhpys, just past Olivia street.

Until I can get back I make do with Google Earth "street view". From what I can see to a large extent nothing has changed along Miranda road. The baths have gone, the shops have changed their names, but nothing really changes until what used to be Rosalind st. But it all "feels" different, perhaps its the cars ?
GeoffThomas

Just discovered this page. My name is Geoff Thomas and I lived at No 55 South Park Square and am now living in Northamptonshire. Glad to hear from anyone I knew in those days on the prefab estate.
Matt

Hi Geoff,was 55 South Park Square one of the prefabs whose back garden backed onto the Kings Gardens and the Bootle Cenotaph on Stanley Road? If so you must have lived opposite the Hunts and also near to
Nora(Honora) and her sister Patricia Kehoe.Hope I have the correct Geoffrey and the last time I saw you was on the 55 bus when I has just come back from 20 months in a destroyer squadron in Singapore.That would have been in 1961.We lived in 13 South Park Way opposite the first lawn bowling Green and Bootle Cricket Club now living on Vancouver Island since compassionate discharge from the R N in 1968.
Matt Wethered
GeoffThomas

Hi Matt. Yes I remember you well. Your Dad was in the RAF and did educational work with ejector seats for the public if I remember aright. I did live at No 55. I recall the Kehoe's and several others and recently exchanged an email with Helen Turner who lived next door but one to me. Looking around Bootle using Google it has changed so much since we lived there. You've certainly got a good place to live - Vancouver Island. I'm in Northamptonshire and recently lost my wife. Got three grown up daughters all successful in the fields of work. Just one of them is married. I've had a multiplicity of jobs but now comfortably retired in a fairly large village. If you've got Whatsapp you can get in touch with me there or jeffers2006@msn.com
Matt

Hi Geoff,so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear lady.It was the other way round for my wife Sheila(from Wesrminster Road Kirkdale) I had heart problems when I was just turned 37 and had to have emergency quadruple bye pass surgery and again triple bye pass when I turned 50.
We have 2 daughters Sarah who will be 53 in 2 weeks time and Linda who was 51 10 days ago. Both our girls are doing OK for themselves.Sarah is a high school teacher/librarian with a master's degree and lives in Vancouver and Linda is a director of a department in the British Columbia Government in Victoria but just lives 20 minutes by car away from us in Shawnigan Lake.We are in a town called Duncan part of the Cowichan Valley 56 klms from Victoria going south and 50 klms going north to the second largest city on the Island Nanaimo
Here endeth the first lesson ...will bore you with life in submarines later :D
Sorry we just do not have whatsapp.
Matt
Paul McCabe

"Tree Art" in South Park.......that's Balliol Rd / University Rd in the distance.......(the playground is much improved since I wuz a nipper..!!)

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Really nice Paul! I'm sure the kids love it! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Dan

Bootle Times December 28 1951.

Christmas part for the children living in the South Park prefabs,