Staley Street

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
jbarton

Hi just came accross this site. My dad is John Green who lived at 56 Staley street with his sister flo, and brothers Jimmy, Bill Bob and Alan. How they all fitted in the two bedroom house I will never know. The front room was always kept 'for best' and had a piano in it and later on a record player. My dad married my mum, Edna Hurt and we lived at number 35 Staley Street for a while until my dad moved us up to to the wilderness of Skem ( before the new town was built). Sadly my uncle Jimmy and aunty Flo ( who liked to be known as Tim) have passed away. I can remember cleaning the front step of my Grans house with a duck stone. I can also remember going around to the dairy through the back alley. As kids we woud go down to the local sweet shop that had a chewing gum machine outside and for every four packets you bought you got two packets on the fifth go. I recognise some of the peple menntioned as my mum and dad would tell me tales of what their 'gang got up to.
Have told my dad about this site so think he will be writing down some of his memories as well.
Ed Davies

Hi Jbarton
Welcome to the site thanks for telling us some of your memories I hope your dad has some stories to tell.
We lived in Benedict street two bed rooms and one box room with 12 0f us how did we do it????
Ed
scouser

Hi JB, Welcome to this great site, i just delivered a jar of my Guiness mustard to my mate Steve Rosette ( #28 Staley St.) & his wife, they live up the road from me in Ft. Lauderdale, great tlmes. We,d go down to Scotts? in the evening, and watch the mice eat and play in the window, and here,s me thinking those were bloody sprinkles on the trifles. mick.
afegfost

Theer are a few people from Bootle living in Fort Lauderdale. A friend of mine from Queens Rd - Mick Fasse has been there for over 30 years now - an unusual name - Dutch origins I think - keep a look out for him

afegfost
scouser

afegfost, name mick fasse rings a bell, i think i met him awhile back at the Rose & Crown, (also known as the British Butchers) it had a little shop next door selling british food. The joke here was Americans can put a man on the Moon, but can,t make a decent slice of bacon. There are lots of Brit & Irish bars here, but everything is so spread out,(you need a car), that people tend to stay local. I,ll call a mate who lives further north and ask him about MF oops! that,s Mick Fasse not the other MF. cheers mick.
Liverpoollady

Hi George Foster. you wont remember me. Lesley Selby 41 Staley st. how is your John doing,and where did joan move to from monfa rd. what are you all up to : )).My middle name was may after your mum because she was with Mum when she had me at home.oh the smell of the chandlers wow .what year did your family move there?. sadly our mike passed away in 2005 and we lost mum in June .ttfn. Lesley third eldest.
Lesley Culshaw nee Selby Born Stayley street Bootle 1960 Grandad Bert Selby YMCA Bootle
Eddy Lloyd

Is that George Foster who played for Litherland Utd??? :D
unzy

I've just found this site and it has jogged a lot of memories in my head, Mr Pratt was my grand-dad (Pop) He was an R.S.M. in the Royal Artillery I have a question for Bob Greenhalgh, when did you change your name from Robbie? By the way Bob my three sisters names were Brenda, Valerie and Carol, our Bren and Carol have both passed away. The two sisters who owned Spensley's sweet shop were called Maggie and Bessie. I think the Halliwells who lived in Province Rd were Billy (the steward at Harland and Wolffs club(later Parkside)Renee his wife and Jean and Sheila his daughters, Ithink he had a son called Peter, but i'm not to sure. I'm trying to answer some Queries for everyone whose posted stuff on the site. I've seen a face i remember from the Bootle grammar Eddie Lloyd, Do you remember Tommy Ross and Alan Simpson. Simmos M.P. for Nottingham This is my first post on this site, so i'm sorry if its a bit disjointed
unzy

Imissed something out of my last post a costermonger is a greengrocer who is licensed to sell game. Does anyone remember seeing rabbits and ducks hanging on my Pops cart
Bob Greenhalgh

Hiya Paul,
Sorry I got your sisters names wrong. I do remember them -it's been a long time! I remember Acker Bilk at you house-would that be right?
Name change-when I started work in 1962 the office manager, Frank Mawer, called me Bob and it has stayed like that ever since-except for anyone who knew me before.
I've been called Bob for the past 47 years so it's normal for me. I know a bloke as Tony but his real name is Arthur! He thought it suited him better.

Hope you're fit and well,
Robbie
loko

unzy. did your sister carol work in the ribble travel office, my wife
remembers your granddad and his cart.she was born and raised in
glynne st.
unzy

Hi Bob, I'll call you Bob from now on, 47 years is a hell of a long time, a lot of water under a lot of bridges. I'm doing O.k. A few aches and pains but nothing serious, goes with the age, I still think I'm 18, hope your still fit and well. Me and Marie (my Mrs) bought bikes acouple of years ago, been out on them about five times, can't get the hang of them.
Remember when we used to go cycling on our racing bikes, how we sat on those saddles I'll never understand, they were like bloody razors, still I have great memories of those days.I don,t know if you were still living in Hawthorne Rd in 1974, but I bought my first house then, No 9 Staley, we lived there for 6 years then moved to Maghull for six years then moved to Woolton, we've been up here now for 26 years.
This is a great site, I only found it by accident and was really surprised when I saw your name on it. Its great to talk about the old Bootle times,
see you later, Unzy
unzy

Hiya Loko, great tag name, But doesn't give a clue to your I.D. Our Carol did work in the Ribble offices. What's your wifes maiden name, I most probably know her cos Iwas born and raised in Glynne Street as well.
Looking forward to hearing from you again. Paul(Unzy)
loko

hi/unzy my wife lived in number 19.glynne.the family name was reid.
unzy

Hi Loko, that was quick, I remember them well, I think.
I remember Jimmy, was he the eldest? Betty Anne and Tommy,he married Pat Ingham didn't he? they lived on the top corner of Glynne St and Monfa Rd opposite No 93 were we used to live. We swapped no 40 Glynne with old Mr Whitbread, he only had 1 leg and when we moved into No 93 we found his spare false one, but we didn't have any luck, there was no money hidden in it. Ask your mrs if she remembers the Hughes's who lived in No 38 and the Kirbys . Are you married to Betty or Anne. Unzy.
loko

hi/unzy i married betty.sadly ann died last year.and tommy died 6 years
ago,tommy and myself both worked on the buses.your carol went on
to work in the head-office at aintree. LOKO
warbaby

Hi Unzy - I attended Orrell Primary School with your sister Brenda. The last time I saw her was in the early 60's before we moved to Australia - I think she had moved to the midlands and was just visiting Bootle then. I also remember your grandfather with a big moustache doing his rounds with a horse and cart and my Mum sending me to buy green groceries from his back yard outlet in Glynn Street - the toffee apples were pretty good!!
afegfost

Eddie

yes it is the same george foster - re staley street - does anyone else remember going to the 'stream' in the Pld Roan on our bikes. And does anuone remember a fire in the GPO sorting office at the back of Staley St - quite a night
jbarton

Hi I am finally back to talk about my memories of Staley street. I remember playing in the street when I was about three, my mum Edna Green would be sat on the step of 35 Staley Street making sure that I and my brother John did not come into any harm. It was a busy street. I remember making mud pies with the soil in the gulley's. My sister Lynn would be watching us from her pram. I remember my uncles Alan, Bob Bill Green, and their mates playing football in front of their house at number 56, Staley Street. I seem to remember my uncle Bob had a mate called Tucker ( does any one remember him?). I remember a big day out was to Otterspool. I also remember that the sea was contaminated and my mum calling us back when we went to paddle. Oil and sewage! My Mum (Edna and John Green) would walk and push us in my sisters pram all the way. I remember the Gas works and Littlewoods. My Granddad (Hurt) worked in the leather works as a stoker for the furnances. He used to come home with MASSIVE blisters that he had gotten with the heat and the back fire of the fuel that he used. My dad John Green worked at English Electric on the Eat Lancashire Road. When I was older and had moved to Skem we would visit my Grandad (also John Green) every Friday night, sometimes I would walk to m aunty Flo's (Tim Green) over the bridge passing by St. Elizabeth's to Litherland .Just a few more of my memories, hope they have has sparked memories in you and look forward to reading yours.
Janet
lily8

Thanks Janet I enjoyed that :P
Lily
robinroyle

Janet, I've sent you a p.m.
Best wishes from Poland
Robin
CathieB

Georgewilliam, I really enjoyed reading your description of your home in Staley Street, it described the 2 up, 2 down homes in Edith Road which I remember members of my family living in (I lived in the next street, Menai Road).

My grandfather Matty and grandmother Margaret Edwards and uncle Terry lived in one house in Edith, and my uncle Peter and Aunt Ada Edwards and their daughter Julie lived in another on the other side of Edith Road.

It brought back so many childhood memories!
Cathie Black (nee Murphy), formerly of Menai Road, Bootle, now in North Carolina, USA

www.fredcat.net
lily8

CathieB I am sorry to tell you that Georgewilliam has sadly passsed away, he is fondly remembered by members for his wonderful stories of Staley Street. He is a great loss.
Lily
CathieB

lily8 wrote:CathieB I am sorry to tell you that Georgewilliam has sadly passsed away, he is fondly remembered by members for his wonderful stories of Staley Street. He is a great loss.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I so enjoyed reading his writings, he certainly had a way with words. Thanks for letting me know.
Cathie Black (nee Murphy), formerly of Menai Road, Bootle, now in North Carolina, USA

www.fredcat.net
afegfost

to j barton ...your Uncle Bobs friend Tucker was probably Tommy Webb..they were best of mates for a good while. Tommy became a brilliant carpet fitter.....
ANDREA

Tommy Webb is my Uncle, and we used to live in Mary Road, and I remember your uncle bobby.
Allan Shepherd

Hi Janet

Did the John Green you mentioned work at Nelco in Skelmersdale?

Best Regards
Allan
Janet Barton

Hi yes my dad did work there in Skem for a long time. He left to work for Mars foods fixing vending machines around the North West. He was based in Plesseys for a while.
Last edited by Janet Barton on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Barton

afegfost wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 pm to j barton ...your Uncle Bobs friend Tucker was probably Tommy Webb..they were best of mates for a good while. Tommy became a brilliant carpet fitter.....
Yes that’s right it was Tommy Webb. Came to my grandads at 56 Staley street a lot. My uncle Bob did carpet fitting as well
Janet Barton

ANDREA wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 pm Tommy Webb is my Uncle, and we used to live in Mary Road, and I remember your uncle bobby.
My uncle now lives down south, never changed you’d recognise him.
Bluearrow24

My dad was George Harold Barkley of Barkley decorators, his mum Hilda and all siblings lived in Marina avenue opposite the globe, just wondering if any one knows of my family, I haven't seen one member of my extended family since my dad's cremation at Thornton, feel free to e mail me at hansomecabman1@gmail.com, much appreciated from George Barkley junior...