Ribble & corpy bus companys.

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
arthur

Whatever became of the Ribble and Corporation bus company's.

Arthur.
Dobbsyboy

The corpy buses stopped when the Merseyside area was created back in the 70's.

The Local Government Act of 1972 replaced the city and borough councils with the metropolitan county of Merseyside, which effectively brought to an end the existing system of transport management. The changes saw the Passenger Transport Authority A abolished and its role taken over by Merseyside County Council which consisted of five authorities: Liverpool,
Sefton, Knowsley, Wirral and St Helens.
In 1976, a motion was proposed by Merseyside County Council to abolish the Paenger Transport Executive (PTE) and absorb responsibility into the council, although this did not happen until 1986.

The Local Government Act 1985 abolished Merseyside County Council and, as a result, a new Passenger Transport Authority and Executive for the county area of Merseyside was established. As of 31st March 1986, the County Council ceased to exist and the corporation buses became what we know as ‘Merseytravel’, in October 1986.

Ribble was one of the largest operators in the North west, however with privatisation like above it's area shrank and the Ribble buses which served the Liverpool area were taken over by Stagecoach when the company formed in 1988
what you looking at eh La?
lily8

A bit on the Ribble source wicci

L3/L30 Liverpool, Bootle, Waterloo to Crosby stage carriage service was the most frequent in its class. Operating for seventeen hours a day, in the fifties and sixties a five minute interval peak hour service with a duplicate or two thrown in as well. Bootle depot operated the service, generally using the highest capacity double deckers on the route.

Bootle depot never received any allocation of the first generation of Leyland Atlanteans, this all double-deck stage carriage service depot stayed loyal to the Leyland Titan PD2 and the PD3. In early seventies a downgraded 'White Lady' Atlantean was allocated to the depot. On Merseyside Aintree Depot had two Atlanteans allocated for the 101 service to Preston from Liverpool (1629/1630). In 1974 Bootle received a large batch of the Park Royal bodied Atlanteans, and from then on the Leyland Titan PD3's were in decline.

The least used Liverpool local service was the L11, introduced during the Second World War, the bus operated three times daily (twice on Sundays) from Crosby Bus Station through Little Crosby to Fort Crosby. Fort Crosby being a prison camp for the duration of the War. Little Crosby never had a bus service up till then.

After the war, the L11 was cut back to the section from Crosby Bus Station to Little Crosby (Dibb Lane), operating three times daily, and twice on Sundays. The service was mainly used by schoolchildren attending secondary school in Crosby. The L11 was the only service to leave Crosby Bus Station, turning left into Little Crosby Road. Ribble threatened to withdraw the service on several occasions, but the L11 survived into the seventies.

An unusual arrangement was made at Maghull, service 411 Liverpool, Crosby, Maghull, Ormskirk would meet an Ormskirk to Liverpool (311) at Hall Lane, Maghull. To ensure the two buses linked, the conductors had to obtain the signature of their counterpart from the other bus. Prior to the introduction of the 411 service, service 303 operated from Crosby, via Aintree to Liverpool; and the link was to ensure through passengers from Crosby to Aintree had their connection.

Liverpool Corporation operated several joint services with Ribble in the Bootle area of the city. Service 28 Old Haymarket to Netherton was a joint operation; but operated solely by the Corporation buses (Ribble and Merseyside Transport timetables).
Lily
Drift

Ribble where split, the Liverpool area became North West Road Car Company in 1986 (when I started) it was then taken over by British Bus but kept its NWRCC name later to be taken over by Cowies who re branded and renamed themselves Arriva.
Arriva went on to take over MTL/Merseybus (The old Corpy buses) and now is one of the biggest transport companies in Europe, who are currently in buy out discussions with a German transport giant who offered the Arriva share holders bag loads of money.
Dan

Bus heaven on 1960s Parker Street.

Bonesy

Arthur, your question, all them years ago, was a valid one.
Lily, Dobbsyboy & Drift thank you for your excellent explanations.

Keith.
Gardner 180

I passed the PSV " Public Service Vehicle " licence driving test in 1966, and I joined Ribble Motor Services as
a PSV driver in early 1968, until early 1970. I then went back to driving HGV lorries until I reached 71 years old.
At Ribble, I was based at the Wigan depot, and the only route we did to Liverpool was the 320 route, via Ashton,
St Helens , Prescot, Huyton, to the then terminus at South John Street. The journey took 3 hours round trip, and
involved 6 buses, 2 Ribble buses, one from Skelhorne Street depot, 1 from Wigan depot, 1 from Wigan Corporation,
and 3 from Lancashire United Transport, based at Hindley. I wish I could publish pictures a bit bigger..

Ray.

Gardner 180

The details of the above pictures are...My PSV drivers badge from October 1966... a Ribble 320
bus on Gerard Street, Ashton in Makerfield, en route to Wigan... the Ribble office on Hope Street
in Wigan town centre...Church Street, Liverpool in 1962...Derby Square, Liverpool, late 1960s.

The bus routes which I did from Ribble at Wigan were to Southport, Ormskirk, Liverpool, Cronton,
St Helens, Billinge, Chorley, Leyland, Blackburn, and 2 routes to Preston. From Easter onward, we
did daily coach journeys from Widnes to Blackpool, and St Helens to Morecambe, both via Wigan.

Ray.
Dan

There you go Ray. :)
Gardner 180 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:49 am I passed the PSV " Public Service Vehicle " licence driving test in 1966, and I joined Ribble Motor Services as
a PSV driver in early 1968, until early 1970. I then went back to driving HGV lorries until I reached 71 years old.
At Ribble, I was based at the Wigan depot, and the only route we did to Liverpool was the 320 route, via Ashton,
St Helens , Prescot, Huyton, to the then terminus at South John Street. The journey took 3 hours round trip, and
involved 6 buses, 2 Ribble buses, one from Skelhorne Street depot, 1 from Wigan depot, 1 from Wigan Corporation,
and 3 from Lancashire United Transport, based at Hindley. I wish I could publish pictures a bit bigger..

Ray.

Gardner 180

Thank you so much Dan for increasing the pictures. Cheers, Ray.
Dan

Merseyside Transport Trust filmed a day out in June 2023.
The shots from the film brought back happy memories..

A 28 at the sausage works. Pity the destination wasn't Old Haymarket. :)

Downstairs

Upstairs with the bus conductor.

My favourite spec was the window bench seat behind the driver's cab.

View from my fave spec going along Linacre Road. :)