Bootle Pubs - do you remember your first pint ?

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Pamsy

Shaun wrote:1986 when I was 16.. Pint of Cider in the Warbreck (Orrell lane)

:lol:
I knew there would be a big response to that question...I mean, you are asking a scouser does he remember his first drink in a pub!! LOL

I've drank at the Warbreck, Walnut Tree, Cuckoo and THE MOUNT....but first pub drink was The Mount....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
jean eaton

Still waiting for my first pint :lol: :lol:

Jean
Daveart

Eddy Lloyd wrote:Ian the dens of iniquity in those days were The Elm House and The Caradoc where ladies of the night would be on the look out for sailors off the ships. :wink:
Hi Eddy,

The Caradoc, that brings back memories, my Uncle who was a timekeeper in Gladstone Dock had the Caradoc as his second home, he was well known to the boys and told me all the tales of the dockers and one day we called in for a half on the way home when I met him from work, all I can say is, thank God for the buses. The pints came from all over.
Dave.
Born and lived in Worcester Road, from 1944-1966.
Eddy Lloyd

Dave. :D :D :D
Bonesy

To be honest I cant remember, but I think it might have been the Jubilee (The Jube) in Litherland. Brown mixed all round 6 pints for a quid.

Keith
IanA

Mackie mixed was a nice pint. Never hear of anyone drinking that any more. Maybe I go to the wrong pubs.
NIKO

Shaun wrote:Lol.. :lol:

Would love to see a ghost though.. I always remember people telling me the Walnut Tree was haunted and one night during a stay behind some weird things started happening but I never saw anything..

Anyone else with a good old pub ghost story?
Shaun,The Derby strand rd was supposedly haunted by a young girl crying for her mum,story was she was knocked down outside by horse and cart and taken in the pub were she died,they say when she was around you would get the strong smell of strawberry jam,stayed there for two weeks when the then owner John Mathews was on holiday,woke up one night to the smell of strawberrys Tommy Dicko who worked there then swore that night before he locked up heard a young girl crying for her mummy, and i believed him.Ben
Last edited by NIKO on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEN....
NIKO

The first pint ever had was in think its name was The Stanley in Berry St by subway,nicknamed the milk house worked in baggy then,asked for in my deepest John Wayne style voice two pints of beer,after the manager Tommy had stopped p***ing him self laughing,served me two brown mixed. :oops:Ben.
Last edited by NIKO on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEN....
bob. b

[I remember my first pint in the Mons or it may have been Farmers dock road playing pool any way my pint was golden and double diamond.
Just A little sign in a pub :) :) :) :) Telphone Answering Charges :) :)
NOT HERE 50p
JUST LEFT 75p
ON THE WAY £1,00
WHO ???? £1.50

COULD HAVE MADE LOADS OF MONEY INBOOTLE PUBS.
:wink: :wink: :wink:
Bob B
deb1971

does anyone remember blue house on derby road :-)

[/b]
does anyone remember the blue house pub, derby road.:-)
billygooner

hi gang think the blue house was opposite the bootle hospital. regards billy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
deb1971

billygooner wrote:hi gang think the blue house was opposite the bootle hospital. regards billy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
my grandmother worked there, when i ask people they carnt remember x
does anyone remember the blue house pub, derby road.:-)
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jean eaton

Welcome Deb1971 to the forum :lol:
whacker66

Mine was in whittys...as I worked in JRT my 16th birthday the two dock runners took me in the little snug...think it was 1s-10d a pint of mild
Peter
p.campbo

hi all well mine was the linacre with me dad i was 16 did nt have far to stagger lived opps number 65 :roll:
cambo
filsgreen

My first pint was in the Queens on Warbreck Moor, our kid was the barman there. It was a pint of Mild and cost 22p.

Phil
Last edited by filsgreen on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatboyjoe90

My first pint was in the corrie i was one month away from my 16th birthday.
:) :)
Cheers Joe.
fazerman

Well there you go, we were all law-breakers before we reached adulthood, but, was it worth it, of course it was :lol: :lol:

Ian.
peewak

We decided upon the Cuckoo,top of Moss Lane,grew our "sidies"saved our pocket money for a fortnight:got hold of some fake car keys,and strolled in ostentatiously slamming the car keys on the bar and asking,in a very deep voice,for 2 pints of brown mixed,please.Had no idea what we were buying but it was fun - atleast,everyone else in the pub seemed to think it was funny!
The Cuckoo became a bit of a fixture for me,my dad,uncle jack,and our kid some years later.The place was safe as long as you were recognised by the regulars,landlord(Pat) and,especially,his alsatian!
It was a pub full of lookalikes = Don Revie,Herbert Lom,Sam Kydd drank there regularly and the resident turn,George,was an Errol Flynn ringer(so he reckoned!)
George played a piano accordian and sang, Tuesdays and Fridays - I can still picture the legendary poster,in the pub window stating,"Every Tuesday and Friday night,George and his Organ!" - perhaps,it was Errol Flynn after all!? :wink:
anne mull

i remember going in there when i was 16 with my mates we bought 3 bottles pale ale between 6 of us ,those were the days ,couldnt do that now..lol
anne mulholland
anne mull

wasnt that on the corner of william henry street/derby road,had some good night in there
anne mulholland
kenswayken

16 @ Cooksons (Tailors Arms) with my mate Richie who had decided to sign up to army. 4 pints & 2 rums. Met me old man on way home who kicked me the rest of the way !!
vinny

Was in the Alex on marsh lane in 1973.. the old alex oppisite Hooten place i think it closed that same yr and the new one was built a little further up. oh yes it was a pint of bitter bought by me dad.
Brunnyboy

the alex closed well before 1973 it closed in the 60s my first pint was in the strand pub witch is now the rubber duck
vinny

OH yes i remember better now yes the alex did shut in the 60,s i remember standing outside waiting for me dad it was nicknamed the stadium because there was always a fight,, i remember it going on fire when it was derilect..oh your right my first pint was in the new alex..i remember the strand pub higsons house dockers pub!!
NIKO

Mates dad had the Strand,it was a six day house never opened on a Sunday.Ben.
BEN....
john j connell

Ben, would that be Hilly ?. JJC.
Brunnyboy

vinny were you mates with ghost and snake and alan stove
NIKO

john j connell wrote:Ben, would that be Hilly ?. JJC.
Yes John,The one and only.
BEN....
vinny

yes mates with ghost .snake .tiger. stovies. all 3 the steven alan and david david stove was my best mate. and still is..yes i reconized clunk.. also one o the grants. also symesy.. used to have a good laugh there. met my first love at the brunnie playing british bulldog.. jackie kennedy she lived in spencer st
unzy

I remember my first pint was in the Corrie Linacre Lane.
for ten bob (50 pence new money) you could get 4 pints of bitter(1/9 pint)
10 Woodies (1/6 ten) and a 6d of chips and a spitfire (a shilling) at Parkin and Purslows chippy on the way home. Unzy.
willo 1

toll bar age 16 with mam and dad
my drink was pale ale and lime.

Jo :)
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edaref

The Jawbone, Litherland Rd (Bootle Village) aged 16.(1961) Can't remember what I drank but probably mild because that was what my dad drank. The next time I drank in there was when I celebrated my retirement from my last job at the Magistrates courts in 2002.