Balliol Road school

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Rasco

I went to Balliol from '66 to '71 and remember the Bootle Times running some pictures of loacl schools.
We (all boys then in @ 1967) were assembled in the yard and the photographer was hanging out of the staff room window to take the picture.

Any ideas how or where I can get hold of a copy?

Teachers there at the time were Mr Elliot headmaster, Mr Mumberson geography, Mr Battersby english, Mr Wright woodwork, Mr McMillan metalwork, Mr Leary science and Mr Argent the terror!

Anyone remember them?
Peter W

Contact the archive section of Crosby library, as they have copies of Bootle Times newspapers on Microfish.
Rasco

Thanks Peter........that's a great start.
ron waters

There are quite a few posts from last year about Balliol Road , Red Ron and quite a few others including myself went there in the late forties , I left Balliol in 1950 and MR Elliot was there then FRom RON W
frank delamere

hi rasco, mr mcmillan was my metal work teacher in roberts secondary.
in 1949
frank
Rasco

Hi Frank,

He was a good old boy. Didin't realise how good my teachers were until I met the ones my kids had.
Allan Stoddern

frank delamere wrote:hi rasco, mr mcmillan was my metal work teacher in roberts secondary.
in 1949
frank
Andy McMillan was my metalwork teacher too. He once threw a hammer at me and my mate in a metalwork class, good job we ducked, he was what you would call a bit unpredictable. I liked him all the same. When you got to know him, he invited a certain number of us into the metalwork room at lunch time. He used to make us a cup of tea with connyonny.
frank delamere

ALLAN thats your man. i always got on well with him. i think it was him that set me on my way=sheet-metal worker.
frank
ste mumf

hi rasco iwas in balliol rd around the same time i remember all those teachers well had a few board dusters thrown at me by argo mr mumberson is still going strong he lives in the crosby area now
Jock

Hi Rasco, you mentioned a Mr Battersby, would he be the Mr Battersby who was there in 1950, he took us for our Pt Class. I left in 50 so sixteen years on he wouldn't have been doing PT. Jock
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Jock wrote:Hi Rasco, you mentioned a Mr Battersby, would he be the Mr Battersby who was there in 1950, he took us for our Pt Class. I left in 50 so sixteen years on he wouldn't have been doing PT. Jock
Mr Battersby came to Balliol around 1947 - He was a small skinny man. Took the corners at Southport Playing Fields and usually scored. Said he had signed for Everton but failed as he was too small. Mr Elliot was there about the same time. Nicw quiet, efficient man. Blues supporter.

e.j..(Bunty Jackson)
red ron

Hi playmates, When I was there, Gunner Mills was head, Tickle Geography, Adamson was History, Clough was Art, Elliot was Maths and music, Battersy was PE And the prototype of Mad-eye Moody, Mr Cooper was the chisel thrower in woodwork. We had no metalwork class then. I left about 1948. Regards all, R R
red ron

Hi playmates, When I was there, Gunner Mills was head, Tickle Geography, Adamson was History, Clough was Art, Elliot was Maths and music, Battersy was PE And the prototype of Mad-eye Moody, Mr Cooper was the chisel thrower in woodwork. We had no metalwork class then. I left about 1948 aged 15. Regards all, R R
ron waters

Hiya Old Red Ron I notice you are repeating yourself again , I have mentioned in a post in the past of Mr Page who I still correspond with and
still lives in Hoylake , I remember Mr Cooper took over the metal work class . I left Balliol in 1950 aged 15 Cheers RON W
Ewen

Hi All,
During my time at this school 1953-57, Mr Mills was head, Mr Tickle was my form Master and took Geography, Mr Taylor History, Mr Elliot Music, Mr. Ralston English, Mr. Payne Tech Drawing, Mr Clark Science. I remember Mr Cooper, a nasty piece of work at times, I thought he was the Metal Work teacher, maybe he swapped subjects. Can't remember who took Woodwork, but he was a good teacher. Mr. Elliot took over from Mr Mills when he retired, he also took charge of the cricket team. Cheers Ewen
Macker
john w

Rasco wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 pm I went to Balliol from '66 to '71 and remember the Bootle Times running some pictures of loacl schools.
We (all boys then in @ 1967) were assembled in the yard and the photographer was hanging out of the staff room window to take the picture.

Any ideas how or where I can get hold of a copy?
I realise it's now 15 years since Rasco asked if anybody had a copy of the photo taken by a photographer from above of the pupils and staff in the yard, but I only recently came across it.

Dan

Bootle Times February 26 1967 Balliol Road Secondary School

john w

Thanks for the enlargement, Dan.
I don't know how to make the photo appear larger on the forum, although my copy is 2048x1536 pixels, so a respectable size and resolution.

Would anyone know until when Mr Elliott was headmaster at Balliol Road school? Was he still head after the merger with the girls school?
Dan

A better image John. You can go to 150% without major pixellation.

Below is an enlarged photo originally posted by Fazerman in 2010.

Try and put some names to faces to see if you recognise anyone This was taken in 1966, good year for England in the World Cup.

Back Row L-R, P.Dee (teacher), R.Houghton, Brian Riley, Phil Scott, Brian Kelly, Robert Kirby, Robert Cannon, Mr Elliott (Head Teacher)
Front Row L-R, Ian Holme, Steve Platt, ? Fawcett, Joe McDonald, Des Beggs, Peter McGivren, Paul Macklin.

Original copy.

BOBHAMO

Hi John
Mr Elliot was head for the boys till 1968
1968 mixed till 1972 not sure after that
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john w

Thanks Bobhamo.
I knew Mr Elliott's son, Mike; I met him through the woman who was later to become his wife, with whom I was befriended before they ever met. After university, he worked as a journalist for The Economist, then Newsweek and finally as international editor for Time magazine (he and his family moved to the USA in 2001). In 2003 he was awarded the OBE for his contribution to journalism.
After retiring from journalism in 2011, he was CEO of the anti-poverty advocacy organization ONE, which was founded by U2 lead singer Bono and which does a lot of work combatting poverty in third-world countries. Sadly, Mike died in 2016, at the relatively early age of 65.
There are articles about him to be found on Internet, and they say he was from Liverpool but actually the family lived at Bebington, meaning his father, Mr Elliott, travelled daily from there to Balliol Road for at least 25 years.
Dan

I've posted Michael Elliott's obituary on the obituaries thread.