Christ church, Bootle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Christ church, Bootle

Postby judy riley » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:33 am

I am remembering a time in late 1950s/early 60s. My father, Spencer Waugh was organist & I used to sit beside him at the organ, & pay the choirboys. I remember one called Glyn?! William Chipping was the vicar, then living in the old Victorian vicarage. A new vicarage was built for the new vicar, Robert Dennis. He came from Ireland, & had 2 little toy poodles! A Captain in the Church Army used to assist with services occasionally: I think his name may have begun with L? Does anyone remember?Mr Shacklady was the verger, & always dressed very smartly for church. with a butterfly collar. Both Mr Chipping & Mr Dennis became close friends & advisors to my father, who had always wanted to be ordained himself. He subsequently went to St Deiniol’s Theological College in Hawarden, N Wales. He was ordained Deacon in 1964, to be a curate at St Peter’s, Formby. He was priested in the Cathedral at Trinity, 1965, but sadly died in November that year. I was only 12.
Mentioning Trinity has reminded me that a lady who lived in Trinity Rd used to wash & starch the choirboys’ ruffs! I remember delivering them to her once after church. I hope this may stir some memories! Judy
judy riley

Re: Christ church, Bootle

Postby bob. b » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Judy welcome to the forum and bootle site
bob. b

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:14 pm

Hi Judy,I remember Dr. Chipping very well.I attended Christ Church School and Eden
Vale from 1947-1952.Dr.Chipping used to come to both schools on a Wednesday for religious
Instruction he always wore those clergy gaiters that went up to his knees and he made us recite
the Nicene Creed before his lesson.I think it was Rev.Dennis that refused to marry my uncle Dr.
John Wethered ,even though he attended St Matthews on Stanley Road,because he was divorced
so all the family attended Emmanuel Congregationalist corner of Balliol and Stanley Roads instead....then
I found out I was really Jewish...but that is a whole other story :)
Matt
Matt

Postby Elaine Goulding » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:15 am

HI Judy,
I was confirmed at Christ Church by the Bishop of Liverpool in 1973. Rev Dennis officiated at my wedding. Some of my wedding photographs have scaffolding and debris in the background. I am thinking this may have been from the new vicarage for Rev. Dennis.
Elaine
Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Elaine Goulding

Postby Walsh » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am

Christ Church.
I remember Rev Chipping and especially Rev Dennis well. As a keen bible scholar in my early teens, Mr Dennis visited Christ Church junior school most weeks and I looked forward to his bible stories. Later, I was awarded a bible and an encyclopaedia, then received confirmation lessons in the 60s. I often talked to him about his early days in Cork his passion for rugby and his interest in other religions, creeds and philosophy - he was well-balanced and open-minded in wider conversation. I used to listen to his style of preaching and learned much from it, going on to spend 40+ years in science and engineering education I always awaited the organ music, especially the rousing bass stops from the keyboard and larger pipes. Walshy.
Walsh

Postby Invicta » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 am

That’s a nice thread Judy.
Thanks for posting and welcome.
:D Ken
Invicta

Postby Arizmendi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:55 am

Is Rev Dennis still alive by the way?
Arizmendi

Postby bjones » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:50 pm

by Arizmendi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:55 am
Is Rev Dennis still alive by the way?

I think that's unlikely, I'd guess his sons are in their 70s by now.
Have sent a link to this thread to a pal who is still in touch with the Dennis "boys"; perhaps they'll contribute and bring you up to date.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Forshaw » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 am

This is quite strange as today I was thinking of Mr Chipping . My Mum used to do some housekeeping for him in the early fifties . My friend and I had a wonderful time exploring the cellars and the attic . What a magnificent house and a reminder of days gone by with bells in the kitchen for the servants . I remember Mr Chipping saying that they needed a new house because the old one was inpractical for modern day clerical families . It was built before I was married in 1965. Mr Chipping was the vicar in 59 when my sister was married . He retired shortly after so the new vicarage must have been built 1960ish.
Mr Chipping used to take me out in his car . Freezing cold so he always gave me a blanket for my knees .
My Mum would make his tea on Sunday night and I would lay the table in the massive dining room . Sometimes Mr Lawrence from Lawrencesons coaches across the road would invite him to dinner and vice versa . Other times Father Fitzpatrick from St. Monica’s presbytery which was next door would come to dinner .
I imagine it was lonely at times being a widower in that big house so he must have enjoyed the discussions with these gentlemen . Occasionally family members from Worthing would come and stay . I used to help his elderly sister Mrs Ambler . Tidying her room . She had me iron all the Christmas wrapping paper because it was too expensive to buy new . Thanks for posting these memories . It was such a great part of my childhood.
Forshaw

Postby billygooner » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:45 pm

hi matt, we must have been at both schools at the same time, I was born 1941 attended Christ church 1946 then on to eden vale till 1951 .remember the air raid shelters in the yard. regards billy.
billygooner

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi Billy,I was in the same class as John Humphrys,Jimmy Vella , Chris Dogson
and Bob Whycherly.My first teacher at Christ Church infants was Miss Carter
and I later found out she was my father's girlfriend before he joined the RAF as a boy airman
in 1935.Always wondered why I was the "teachers pet" :lol: :lol:
Matt
Matt

Postby billygooner » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:03 pm

hi matt. I was talking to jimmy vella today in the gym in the north park. I will mention you to him next time I see him, probably Friday. regards billy.
billygooner

Postby Matt » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks Billy.I would certainly like to know what Jimmy got up to after the grammar school.
We were actually in the same class(remove alpha) for our first year.If he does not remember me
just jog his memory by telling him I was born in Egypt and got slapped at the side of the
head by Jack Chisel in the school dining hall because I did not eat fast enough :lol:
Matt
Matt

Postby jimvee » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi Matt ,
Jimmy Vella here,I certainly remember you ,I remember going to your pre-fab in the South park by the Cricket ground and you giving me ,I think ,stamps from Israel and I was made up as I collected foreign stamps. Fond memories indeed.
I lived in Garden Lane off Park street in Bootle village.I went to Orrell school with John Howard ,John Smith and Brendan Roberts if you remember them.
I went up from remove to 4 Alpha but after coming second in class Remove alpha ,I think to Kenny Walkley I then went downhill as I could not get a grip of the Latin with Mr Owens.
I was OK with maths, geography and some other subjects but concentrated on the one I was worst at and consequently the others were neglected.
Anyway I was more technically minded and wanted to serve my time (in a job I might add) not prison as an apprentice.
My first job was in an office in Harland and Wolffs off Derby rd and I hated it, so only stayed a year and I got an Apprenticeship with the LCPT (Liverpool Buses) in Edge Lane Liverpool.
My working life started there and I was nearly 17 but I like it and made some good mates.
I have a mate in the Gym where Billy and I go called Ronnie Crossley and he has a brother called Randle who went to Christ Church (he is 78 I think) and he lives in Vancouver .He live at the top of Earl Rd in Bootle at the Junction of Southport RD.
Would you be knowing him.
Anyway, Matt I will leave it for you to read and when see your reply we can message a bit more . Great to hear about you.
Best wishes,
Jim Vella
jimvee

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:44 am

Hi Jim great to hear back from you.I ended up taking Latin with gentle Ben Owens all the way until the first term of 5 Alpha when Berbiers decided that I was just wasting Mr Owens time and I had to drop it and that is when my father decided that the Armed Forces would make a MAN out of me and he literally marched me down to the Royal Navy recruiting office in St Johns Lane and signed the papers making me a junior engineering mechanic 2nd class(classy name for a junior stoker) for the next 9 years.First ship a destroyer in the Far East Squadron for 16 months.I had just turned 17.Next ship a frigate in the Londonderry Squadron (hell ship :evil: ) but for only less than a year then finally out to the Far East again but now as a fully trained Submariner where I stayed off and on for the next four and a half years.Was compassionately honourably discharged after my father passed away(only child) but that took nearly 18 months to be finalised and my mum had already left UK to join all her family in Canada so here I am on Vancouver Island these last 51 years :) first as a logger(lumberjack) for all of 2 days.Decided I did not want my future wife to be a widow so I ended up working in the sawmill on the extreme West Coast of Vancouver Island named Tahsis.The bunkhouse was just like something out of a wild west movie but I went back to Merseyside to marry the lady of my dreams Sheila in 1969 and took her up Island to the sawmill town/camp.Brave lady she stuck it out until 1976 when we moved down to civilization to a place called Duncan where I got another sawmill machine operator job and Sheila worked for the Royal Bank of Canada and retired as assistant manager personal investments portfolio. 2 daughters Sarah and Linda..2 grandchildren Kalika Is 23 and married to a logger and James 19 an apprentice heavy duty mechanic.
That's it Jim my two index fingers are getting sore :lol: :lol:
Matt
Matt

Postby Silver-Haired-Hippy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:38 am

Really interesting posts on here! I enjoy reading about your past lives and the present ones!, please carry on! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Postby jimvee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:29 am

Hi matt,
Well you did well to go to Canada as my dad who worked with Cunard loved travelling there on board the Franconia to Quebec and Montreal.
I remember when I would be younger than10, him bringing home DC Comics ,tins of Salmon , Apples , Sweets manufactured in Liverpool but we were rationed so couldn't get them.
Talking of the Royal navy I worked at Lairds 1967-69,1975-93 on Frigates ,Destroyers small Diesel subs and aOil Rig, and at Barrow on the Nuclear subs1989-1991.
I enjoyed most of my working life in jobs I liked doing.
My final job was in 1997 when went to a firm called Studleys and I finished Estimating as I was diagnosed with cancer in 2000 So was better off the tools.I retired in 2010
But was asked to go back a few years ago when I was 75 to help out as they were very busy it was all computer work so it wasn't too hard.
I married Eileen my wife in a church in Wadham road by the gates of the North park, St Richards not far from where you lived.We have 3 children Alison 48,Suzanne 47 and Neil 43.
We have 7 Grandchildren 5 lads and 2 girls. One grandson Elliot is in Fleetwood at a training College to be an Officer on the Cruise Ships, he's on a sponsorship.
I'd have liked to have emigrated to Australia but Eileen didn't fancy going ,that was 1984 when we were laid off from Lairds for 14 weeks.
Well Matt on a sad note I see you mentioned Chris Dodgson.
I get the Bootleian Magazine that Old boys registered with them get usually once a year and I remember reading a while ago that he had passed away.
I will dig them out and will update you as sometimes ex-pupils from our era are mentioned.
I haven't been to a Dinner they hold for years but when I did I saw John Birchall and Billy Davies ,Alan Quinn who went to Christ Church.
Best wishes,
Jim.
jimvee

Postby Matt » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi Jim.I knew your dad went to sea but I didn't know he was a Cunard Yank.Bet you wish you had kept those DC comics he brought home for you as some of those old 5 cent ones are worth a fortune but in good condition. I had an idea that all was not well with Chris Dodgson as a few years ago I got a surprising phone call from him.His wife had bought him a CD Rom with the whole of N.American phone numbers and as there's only 2 Wethereds in Canada (my eldest daughter and me) he called.Had a long talk and he told me that he had Leukemia but I had seen his photo and news article abut him being wounded in Aden just before the British withdrawal.He was a school teacher there at the armed forces dependants school,funny thing was I was in HMS/M Auriga at the same time as his shooting, laying under radio silence, on the bottom of Aden Harbour waiting to intercept an Egyptian sub that was supposedly on it's way to Yemen to cause all kinds of problems during the withdrawal.Largest battle group since WW2 assembled there.Aden would have gone back to the desert if there had been any major casualties.
John Smith actually joined the Bootle Forum many years ago but I think he only made one or two posts nowt since! Saw John Howard man,many years ago(at least 55 :oops: ) He had just got his BA. but could not get a job and the last I heard he was living with his boyfriend somewhere in France.Ken Walkley passed away just after I came home from the Far East around the very early 60's.He lived about 4 houses away from my mate Tommy Kerr in Downing Road.We all used to walk home from the Grammar together...Tom,Ken and of course Harry Fung.
What cruise line is your grandson hoping to work for?We do a fair bit of cruising but on the Oceania ships.This next one starting in Sydney Australia in December will be our 16th.Funny I used to get paid to go to all these countries and now we are paying to go to the same places.
Jim St Richards Church is by the gates of the South Park not the North :D
Talk later on our way up Island for a while.
Matt
Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:16 pm

bump for jim
Matt

Postby GDENNIS » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Just found this thread through a friend.
The Rev. Dennis, vicar of Christ Church had 1 daughter and 3 sons. I'm the middle son, Godfrey.
We arrived at Christ Church from Northern Ireland on the 31st August 1961.
I was 14 at the time. All 4 of us are in pretty good health for our ages - all now in our 70s.
Following my dad's retirement at CC in the late 70s, he went to Lathom Chapel as the vicar in charge for a number of years. He died in 1994.
I left Bootle in the early 70s, through work. Peter, my younger brother has lived in the USA for 40 or so years. Robert (elder brother) lives in Higham Ferrers. Carol lives in Blundellsands and I live nr. Preston.
Judy - I remember your Dad. He was the organist when we arrived in Bootle.
My Dad had Peter and I in the church choir within weeks. We didn't like it one bit, but met some pals there, Jimmy Dolce & Philly Gill, who remain close pals to this day.
I rang the church bells at Bootle - I believe they are not rung at the present time.
I have great memories of Bootle, and have occasionally been back to CC.
GDENNIS

Postby EdMcDonald » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:40 pm

GDENNIS wrote:Just found this thread through a friend.
The Rev. Dennis, vicar of Christ Church had 1 daughter and 3 sons. I'm the middle son, Godfrey.
I was 14 at the time. All 4 of us are in pretty good health for our ages - all now in our 70s.
Following my dad's retirement at CC in the late 70s, he went to Lathom Chapel as the vicar in charge for a number of years. He died in 1994.
I left Bootle in the early 70s, through work. Peter, my younger brother has lived in the USA for 40 or so years. Robert (elder brother) lives in Higham Ferrers. Carol lives in Blundellsands and I live nr. Preston.
My Dad had Peter and I in the church choir within weeks. We didn't like it one bit, but met some pals there, Jimmy Dolce & Philly Gill, who remain close pals to this day.
I rang the church bells at Bootle - I believe they are not rung at the present time.

Hello Godfrey.Your father performed a very special ritual 29 August 1964. There was a wedding at Christ Church at three in the afternoon. Anyone guess who's it was.
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers"
EdMcDonald

Postby filsgreen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for posting your memories Godfrey, welcome to the forum. :D
filsgreen

Postby GDENNIS » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:12 pm

EdMcDonald wrote:

Hello Godfrey.Your father performed a very special ritual 29 August 1964. There was a wedding at Christ Church at three in the afternoon. Anyone guess who's it was.

Wasn’t Mike Trebilcock, the Everton footballer, was it, Ed? My father conducted his marriage to, I think, Pamela Owen. But I may be wrong. He could have got married a year or two later...
GDENNIS

Postby jimvee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi Matt,
I got the compass reading wrong, of course it's the south park ,I'm always mixing them up must be getting Altziemers.
The North is where me and Billy Gordon go to the Gym, baths and the Sauna .It was funny how I re-met Billy as in my youth ,(when I was about 17 ) I was a mate of Billy's but we all went our different ways . I used to go to Queens Drive baths in the1990'S and it shut down so I started going to Bootle baths. After my retirement I started going in the mornings as I went of an evening previously anyway I got talking to some of the other guys thinking I didn't know them but this fellow kept talking about places I knew well , but I didn't know him .I asked where he lived and he said by Christ church near Park street,well I delivered papers for Woodwards which was thereabouts so I said " I'm from around there , who are you ? " and he told me. So I said " I'm Jimmy Vella don't you recognise me ? "We had both changed so much from our youth and he was much tubbier now and was very slim in his youth and I am no longer dark haired.
I had two brothers who went to Christ church school Joe Vella who was born in 1945 and David Vella who was born in 1948.I don't think you would have known them
Yes I read the history and Obituary of Chris in the Bootleian magazine and his younger brother Harvey wrote about his fight with the Luekaemia.Very sad indeed.I also
read of other people you would know such as Kenny Snelgrove who died aged about 68.There was also an Obituary written by Dave Etherington for his much older brother, I also read that Dave stood down as a Committee member due to his own ill health.I remember him in the old days as a very good and fit footballer.I used to run with him all the way from where the Jawbone pub is to the top of Spellow Lane by Stanley Park.He would take pairs of shoes for the cobbler in Litherland road to a company that would then do the stitching.We would run there and back another time to pick them up.
I loved Cycling and running when I was young and I remember that when Mr.Learmouth the PE Teacher came to the school he chose the Rugby team and khe started with anyone who liked running or was big and solid like Gwilym Griffith.
I hated rugby at first but got to like it when we started winning some games.I think our first game was against Wirral Grammar who were a really good side and we lost something like 92-0 .
Anyway Matt good to hear from you hope you find these anecdotes interesting I will get my OLD BOOTLEIANS out and see if I can find anything that might be of interest and let you know.
Best wishes and good health,
Jim Vella
jimvee

Postby EdMcDonald » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:47 pm

GDENNIS wrote:
EdMcDonald wrote:

Wasn’t Mike Trebilcock, the Everton footballer, was it, Ed? My father conducted his marriage to, I think, Pamela Owen. But I may be wrong. He could have got married a year or two later...

Not Mike Trebilcock my mate. It was me and my wife Margaret ( nee Shacklady) I'd got 10 days leave from 3 Para in Aden to come home and get married.
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers"
EdMcDonald

Postby oriel55 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm

I was at Balliol Road Secondary Modern School in the same year as Jimmy Dolce, Phillip Gill; also Davis Vella. I still have my Christ Church Christening Certificate from 1948, although it is faded a bit with time; like myself! Loved growing up in Bootle, for me it was "Golden Days" despite the hardships most people endured.
oriel55

Postby Walsh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:20 am

Matt. Your comment on Jack Chisel, the legendary Woodwork teacher at Bootle Grammar School for Boys brought back vivid memories (I was there 1963-1970). Few of us attended school meals without being slapped on the back by Jack. I was once propelled across the table and dinners for 'daring to talk during mealtime'. Mionasteries were less strict and painful? But I had great friends at Christ Church and good education at the Grammar, despite the latter being a sort of extended survival training exercise. Walshy.
Walsh

Return to Talk about the History of Bootle here