Locating ex Workmate

Find Bootle friends and family here
Monclar

Trying to locate an ex workmate called Alan Swinley we both worked as Time and Design Study Engineers In the 1956/57 period the Company Traded under the name of Mersey Cables
and I think was situated in Linicar Lane just prior to the junction with Hawthorne Rd.
filsgreen

Hello Ken welcome to the forum. I'm sure there are a couple of members who used to work in what I knew as the Vactite. :D
everliver

Welcome to the forum Ken :D :D John Kelly who played for Boole Villa worked in Vactite.

Bob
Monclar

Thanks To
Both everliver and filsgreen .I guess Mersey Cables Ltd must have changed hands since I was there in 56/57.I realise I was wrong as they were not situated in Linecer Lane and I have forgotten the road name now (Possible has something to do with my age)But they were near to Hawthorn Road and am I correct that Linecer Lane/Road was at the bottom end of Hawthorne somewher near the Lifting Leeds and L/pool Canel Bridge ?.Do either of you know any info on a Motorcycle Club that again I think went by the name of "The Netherton Motorcycle Club" I used to ride with them we were all crazy then.I remember one of the Guys had a Norton with racing chair attached and we used to see who could do a full circuit of the round about by the "Odeon Cinima" keeping the sidecar wheel right up in the air and just about capsizeing .Then in a short whilePlod would arrive on his Bog standard Triumph Speedtwin and that was it chase on we would end up at the round about just before the Alt Estate.I can remember hanging right out when we exited on the I think woud be about Three Round abouts later he never caught us as Ernie who used to race the outfit in the local reces One was at the Alttker rifle rang in Hightown and The Aintree Circuit which was a proper race circuit.I still have some old black and white photo`s of the paddock after the races had finianshed,and nearly everyone always seemed to be covered in oil but we enjoyed it,and at least it was legel!! Plod did catch us on one occasion but for speeding only and believe it or not he was a great guy .Just seemed to want to talk bikes didn`t book any body at all and after that we all seemed to improve our road behaveur and whenever we stopped in a group for a fag and he saw us would always stop and join us (Bikes being the subject and he`d have a quick fag with us then off he`d go) those chats did more good to all us young bloods than any booking could do
Thanks again to you both

Ken

hoarie

Some info on Mersey cables.I remember it actally on (linacre lane) through to hawthorne Rd. After that it was called Enfield power standard cables. Then lastly owned by GEC it was renamed vactite Ltd. I worked at vactite for 25 yrs until it closed down circa 1995 I would have Been quite young when you worked there though.
efc46

John Macnally (searchers) worked there me brother lewis rowlands they used to play football every day our lew always said Macnally was a dirty player
Davey Rowlands Bootle