Akenside Street, Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

Walking around "Reclaimed World" Salvage at Little Budworth on A49 to Whitchurch Road the other day.
Couldn't believe my eyes !!!

There was a Street sign for "Akenside Street" where my Granddad aged 3 lived at No.31 in 1894

before moving up the street to 12 Violet Road

Would have loved to have bought it but where would I put it I thought.

fatboyjoe90

Flood heights over the years.

Akenside Street Bootle.

The scheme of affordable homes is being developed in partnership with affordable housing provider Riverside Housing Group and the Homes and Communities Agency. The new scheme will provide 32 properties in total. All of the homes will be 2 bedroomed and shall be build to Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3. The site is situated off Akenside Street, Bootle and is the site of the former Brooks Laundry. The site has been an eyesore since it closure in 2006. The buildings are due to be demolished prior to Xmas and the site fully remediated in the New Year.

Planning for the site was approved in October and was designed by leading Manchester architects Jennings Design Associates. MCI are the Principal Contractors, the project is expected to be completed by February 2015.

Akenside Street Bootle.
Cheers Joe.
BOBHAMO

it looks the original sign :D :D
i painted that sign,in the 60s one of hundreds :D :D :D
bobhamo
+
bootle born altcar road
ALAMO2008

[quote="ALAMO2008"]Walking around "Reclaimed World" Salvage at Little Budworth on A49 to Whitchurch Road the other day.
Couldn't believe my eyes !!!

There was a Street sign for "Akenside Street" where my Granddad aged 3 lived at No.31 in 1894

before moving up the street to 12 Violet Road

Would have loved to have bought it but where would I put it I thought.

Just thought I'd share with you a story of weird coincidences that have happened in the last 14 days re Akenside :-

Had an Ancestry Message from a stranger who related the story of how his daughter on holiday from London to Llandudno called into the Town Hall there to browse through a Postcard Fair and picked Two Postcards at random she liked the picture of on the front.
She showed them to her Dad who is on Ancestry, he looked overleaf on each card addressed to two different names and decided to see if they existed on Ancestry in someone's Tree and found mine and was able to get into my Tree to view the names on the cards. and ask if I wanted them ?

The First card dated 1908 was addressed to a Miss Emma Chapman of 12 Violet Rd Bootle, unsigned but from presumably her Husband to be George Munnerley whom she married in 1910 and moved to Birkenhead ( When aged 6 she lived at 31 Akenside Street Bootle)

The Second card dated 1913 was addressed to Mrs E Munnerley (Her new Married name) in Birkenhead and was from her younger Sister Elizabeth (Cissie) Chapman aged 19 who was living at 12 Violet Rd then BUT born in 1894 at 31 Akenside Street.
she later married in 1918 George Woodcock from next door 10 Violet Road

While I was negotiating with Finder on Ancestry re the cards with the Akenside connection,
my Wife and I travelled from our home in Aberystwyth to meet Family for a few days luxury break at The Hollies - Forest Lodges at Little Budworth and visit the Salvage yard just down the road there and come across quiet by accident a Street sign for "AKENSIDE STREET BOOTLE"
How Weird is that ?
Is it not getting to be a very Small World ?
IanA

I'd have bought it and then thought 'Where would I put it?'. I tried to find where 'my' street signs had gone (Keats Street) and I contacted the council who said: "No idea". I'd give a few bob for one of those signs.
ALAMO2008

Another "Akenside Street" - Coincidence !

Since posting the above, while researching my Ancestry in Liverpool Library at the weekend on a quick visit. I met my Cousin Janet whom I had not seen for 55 years she brought some old family photos with her and a newspaper cutting about her elder brother Billy in Kuwait.

The Photo I presume is from the Bootle Times 1961

it shows my cousin Billy Chapman of Church Road Orrell

and Ken Morrison of 5 "Akenside Street" Bootle

Small world !

CLICK ON THE PICTURE
TO ENABLE YOU TO ZOOM IN - ON WHOLE PHOTO

ALAMO2008

What another "Akenside Street" Coincidence -
Frances Boyd asking this morning about Ken Morrison of 5 Akenside Street in looking For long Lost Family
before I got around to posting the Newspaper Cutting mentioning him.

I scanned through the Microfilm in the Library on Saturday May 1961 to May 1962 when Billy was 22 in the "Bootle Herald"
is that the same as "The Bootle Times" paper
was there more than one Bootle Paper.
Or was there always only one the Herald ?
lynne99

As far as I remember there were 2 papers, the Bootle Times and the Bootle Herald. I am sure someone else will have more info as to when the Herald existed.
ALAMO2008

Cheers for that, Liverpool Central Library only had The Bootle Herald on Microfilm and no sign of the article May 1961 to May 1962 when I scanned.

Will need to go to Crosby Library as I know they have The Bootle Times and The Walton Times on Film.
Prospice

Do not buy these signs they have been stolen ! This salvage yard is selling off Bootle's cast iron signs. They recently sold Burns Street sign. The council have confirmed they belong to the council. I will be sorting this tomorrow. It's a disgrace !