South Park ?

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Bonesy

Keith
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Reminds of the Kings Gardens on Stanley Road Keith, could be wrong!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
lynne99

Me too. Where remembered centre Sunday is held.
filsgreen

That looks like South Park, Keith. South Pk. Was on Radio Merseyside today. They had built polytunnels as a community project, on the park, which the nice youth of Bootle duly wreck beyond repair.
Matt

That is not the South Park I lived in the prefabs that where built there after WW2,
as Loretta and Lynne say that is the Kings Gardens with the Emmanuel Church outbuildings
on the left at the end.The Cenotaph was built between the statue and Emmanuel and the prefabs
where along the back part of the Gardens all the way to the Trinity Road pathway entrance to the park and the
Miranda/Wadham Road entrance all the way down to Stanley Road.
That picture is pre 1922 as the Cenotaph/War Memorial was unveiled then.(Thanks Mr. Google)
Matt
filsgreen

Matt, you, Lynne and Loretta are correct in that officially it is kings gardens, but I know it as South Park. All the people I know in Bootle call it that too, we never made the distinction between them.
Matt

Little older than you Phil.Always a distinction when I lived there so
"Let us just agree to disagree" :lol:
Matt from 13 South Park Way then Bootle,Liverpool 20 Lancs
filsgreen

Undoubtedly an age thing, Matt. Maybe it's even localised? I grew up in Orrell, maybe my parents just referred to it as South Park? It's like the "Assies" in Orrell; I think my mum referred to them as Aspinalls field
mckenna

South Park Area is from Wadam Road to Baliol Rd Hawthorne Rd end to boundry of the field wereb the prefabs weren built the main thougherare
divided the main part we had from Wadham Rd on the right was Bootle Cricket Club, next was the the three bowling greens stretching up to Hawthorne
Rd entrance next was abig playing area part was a childrens play ground swlngs slide seasaw ect paddling pool i play manytimes before the war when
i was young also we had a park keeperpatroling to stop any misbehaving the park was lockup at dusk. KINGS Park was for the remembrence day
service and for people to stroll around loking at the flower beds the were carefully maintain, Matt as said the prefabs were on the field opposite the cricket ground before the war that was just a sandy play area they tried to build deep airraid shelter on it but nothing came of it,many a happytimes
i played inthe park also my mates and i would have game of bowls you could hire the bowls the the top green was reserved for Bootle Cambria
club matches my father was akeen bowler and was amember and played every Saturday . George
g mckenna
lynne99

What is in a name, they were adjoining were they not? Sorry about my previous post . On my small tablet and wit the aid of the Grand Kids. It didn't make sense, did it. Sorry again. :oops:
filsgreen

It made sense to me, Lynne, you've just got to understand predictive text :lol:
lynne99

Thanks Phil, I think I'm of to spec savers as well.
BOBHAMO

Question for all :D :D :D
what was there before ??????
as MATT has mentioned i remember the south park in the 50s with prefabs on
i helped my old fella to clean the windows
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
mckenna

iam sorry if my imput is critical it not menttobe to me its always seperate names to the older members such as i 88years of age bthis is what i
remember, and we respect ed the names Kings Park was always a remblemence park were the cenataph is built the military personal who lost their
lives in the different fields of conflict, South Park was always a playing area for all to enjoy themselves watwhatever sports the followed bowls
cricket ect GEORGE.
g mckenna
lynne99

Not as old as you George, but as you say, I was encouraged by my parents to attend every remembrance day at the Cenotaph in King's Gardens when I was a child (up to when I left at 18). As a Guide and Brownie some of the time.
filsgreen

No Lynne, you could have 20/20 vision, the phone decides what's written. I've done it loads of times, just Google predictive text cock ups. :D Sorry to hijack your post, Keith.
mckenna

Bobhomo You ask what was there before prefabs i can go back asfar as 1936 all rememger was just awaste ground allsandy soal nothing growing
on it not even grass now and again us youngstered tried to play footballon it asusual coat for goal posts.whether anybody can dig up
some old photo"s i do remmemberonce a squad of soldiers doing square bashing along the main drive between Wadham Rd and Balliol Rd
probably from Park Street Barracks this was just after war started George
g mckenna
Matt

Hi to all but especially George. Our prefab 13 South Park Way was exactly opposite the bottom
bowling green.I remember all the kids from Bedford,Beatrice,Benedict ,Miranda and all the other
roads round there used to hate the people in the prefabs because as they used to say"you took our footy pitch"
There used to be air raid shelters but they where along side the Balliol Road part of South Park on the part
of the park across from swings,monkey bars and the parkies hut just up from Connolly House.All the older kids in the prefabs used
to give "guided" tours of the shelters as we pried off the boards on the air/escape shafts.Inside where 4 tier metal bunks
hundreds of them.The shelters where all underground and when it came time to get rid of them explosive teams were brought in
to blow them up and all the sand(dirt) hills from the excavations was used to cover them up I think Ernie and his parents used them during the May Blitz.
I have to add.The whole of the South Park and Kings Gardens were our playground when I was growing up there but NOT
the Cenotaph and War Memorial.That to us was a place of respect.If we ever had cause to be in there no yelling,screaming or running.We would touch the
statues and the RC kids would genuflect and the rest of us would close our eyes and say "thanks ".
Matt
BOBHAMO

George please get my name right bobhamo :D :D :D :D :D
i was asking the question what was before the cenotaph and war memorial
not the south park
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
mckenna

Matt i mean no disrespect to i wasrefering the park before the war started i went to the park maybe when i was seven years of age that how i remember it , are home in Olivia street was badly bombed in the Christmas blitz so we move to Rosalind St i never went to the park after till i was a
teenager then to watch my dad play bowls or to watch the cricket allthe best Matt GEORGE
g mckenna
mckenna

T o it may concern i apolagise for mis spelling your name we all can,t be perfect also for misreading your question. George
g mckenna
Matt

Hi George.there was no disrespect at all in your post.The only reason I used the words" especially for George"
was because I just wanted you to know that I knew the South Park and the bowling greens like the back of my hand.
My dad and his cousins played on the bottom green opposite our prefab every Sunday afternoon so close that my mum
could shout and tell them all when dinner was ready :lol: :lol: I loved that park and our prefab.Sad day when they were pulled
down and a whole community split up and spread over housing estates in Ford and Netherton people you used to refer to as uncle or aunty
even though no relation what so ever.1 child households to Simonscroft in Ford and families with more than one child all over the place in Netherton or even
as far out as Speke.
Matt
mckenna

Matt thank you for your reply. yes i have fond memories of the park when i was young, also my father played on the top green every other Staturday
he was a member of the Bootle Cambria Club they play there home games on the top green also games on Derby Park, all the best to you and your dear wife good health to you both George
g mckenna
BOBHAMO

George it was not a criticism honest
well the answer of what was before the cenotaph
it was a horse drawn tram shed depot
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bonesy

My granddad & grandma Jones lived on the corner of Bedford and Miranda Road from the 1930s onwards. Part of their house fronted on to Miranda this part of the house was used as the glaziers shop Bootle Glass.
Granddad always called it South Park. So for me its always been South Park.
Bob, my granddad Robert (Bob) Jones was a Carter and I am wondering if he worked at the tram shed you mentioned.
Later in life in the 1950s he with his handlebar mustache could be seen on huge advertising hoardings advertising the heath advantages of drinking Guinness.

Keith
Matt

Keith the corner of Miranda and Bedford Roads are one small block between Wadham Road and the entrance to Bootle
Cricket Club and the South Park bowling greens,swings ,paddling pool etc.I know the shop front you are talking about but it became a cobblers(who was never open)
and opposite to Kitty McKeoughs Catholic shop 4 houses from St. Richards Church.Opposite was the public bath houses on the other corner of Bedford and Miranda and took in that whole block up to Beatrice Street. Kings Gardens and Bootle War Memorial/Cenotaph where on
Stanley Road about 100 metres from Wadham Road running up to Emmanuel Church that was on the corner of Balliol Road
Matt
Bonesy

Thanks Matt, wasn't the catholic shop run by Kenny Everett`s mum ?

Keith
Matt

Keith I think that was maybe after my dad's dear friend Kitty passed away.
Lovely lady always had 10 Sweet Afton ciggies hidden away for my dad :lol:
Matt
mckenna

Hi BoBHoMo ? thank you you for your reply no offense taken George
g mckenna
Bonesy

George, you did it again :D :D :D :oops:

Keith
fatboyjoe90

May Queen on the steps of the Kings Garden monument in Bootle - circa 1930's, from Ann Walsh. :wink:

Image :wink:
Cheers Joe.
bjones

mckenna wrote:Hi BoBHoMo ? thank you you for your reply no offense taken George
Bonesy wrote:George, you did it again :D :D :D :oops:
Keith
George, don't know if you're missing the joke Bob HAmo was making; he's a Hamo not a homo.... :oops: :lol:
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
fatboyjoe90

Bee, you are awful but i like you. :lol: :lol:
Cheers Joe.
mckenna

HI BOBHAMO I am sorry its these new reading glasses i hope ive donet right this time once again sorry, i now see why you was annoyed. George
g mckenna
mckenna

another mistake is it Bonesey????
g mckenna