Children Transported To Canada 1880s-1890s

Find Bootle friends and family here
murph44

Help needed please,I am trying to find 2 great relatives of mine who I believe were transported to Canada as children in the late 1880s - 1890s they are Richard Murphy born 1887 and his sister Emily Catherine born1882 in Liverpool, both their parents Letitia and Arthur Murphy died in the 1880s and they were both put into care either a Catholic Orphanage or Dr Barnados somewhere here in Liverpool,and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me find them please.Any help would be gratefully appreciated.I thank you all...........Murph44
lily8

Hi Murph do you have anything to say it was Canada?? the reason I ask is that child migrants were sent to several dominions (in that time) of Great Britain. Many came to Australia under the auspices of many groups such as the Catholic and other churches, the Empire scheme, Fairbridge scheme, and several others. Some went to what was then Rhodesia in addition to Canada and Aus, it is a very sad story in that so many of these children were kept in the dark as to their families and often had their records destroyed. Any further info you can give will be most helpful in trying to find the right country. Another point to bear in mind is that they may have been adopted in the UK.
Lily
BOBHAMO

bootle born altcar road
murph44

Hi Lily8 good to talk to you again,I have posted about my Murphy family before and you have helped me out no end thank you I have tried to find out whatever happened to Arthur Richard and Emily Catherine Murphy I have searched through the censuses but I can't find them up to the 1911 census,and by chance I was put in touch with a user on Ancestry site by my nephew who is a member of the site and he has allowed me to use his address as a secondary user, anyway I got talking to this person about 3 weeks a go and we established that we could be 2nd cousins and she told me they ended up in Canada through the Catholic Orphanage here in Liverpool but that was as far as we got about a week ago now I have heard nothing more from her,so I thought that I would try our Bootle site because you are all so good the way you have helped me in the past to see if I could find any more Information on them thank you.Hi Bobhamo thank you I have scrolled through the site you gave me and all the Richard Murphy's seem to be part of a family, but their parents both died in the 1880s but I will keep on looking through the site you have given me its very Interesting thanks again.And once again Lily8 and Bobhamo thank you both very much for replying to my post Cheers.......Murph
lily8

Hi again Murph :D well if it was the catholic organisation we have a bit more to go on so I will have a look over the next week or so, I have my son and friends visiting from Perth in the coming week (yippee) so will perhaps take a bit longer. I have looked at transport records to Canada yesterday but nothing as yet but will extend the search to other countries just in case. The child migrants/home children are a very special part of my little 'Genie' efforts and very close to my heart as they were indeed the 'Lost children of the Empire'.

PS. well done Bob for the census records a valuable source of information :D

PPS: Murph was he born Arthur Richard or Richard??
Lily
lily8

Hi Murph found the baptismal records for the children and it was Arthur Richard so will check on that name.
Lily
lily8

Murph here is a possible under the direction/care of the Liverpool Catholic protection society aboard the Parisenne (this ship was used for years by them) bound for Ontario

Name:
Arthur Murphy
Birth Year:
abt 1878
Date of Arrival:
10 Jun 1889
Vessel:
Parisian
Port of Arrival:
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure:
Liverpool, England
Lily
Thommos sister

Well done Lily, this is right up your street matey!! T.S :D
BOBHAMO

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/i ... e003549678
scroll to no 300 arthur murphy
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lily8

Thanks for posting the original image Bob :D

Murph a couple of questions have you ever found Letitia or Arthur senior on any census if so where and when as I think I may have young Arthur/Richard in 1881. Also there was at least another child I found from baptismal records older than young Arthur named Mary Josephine, however if sent overseas the names were usually never in full and often as with a lot of anglo Irish families the second Christian names were used so it's a case of trial and error. I have checked WW1 records for any military service no luck as yet, I think Letitia may have been a barmaid if that rings any bells????? was Arthur senior a seaman?? sorry lots of questions but we have to try any links.
Lily
murph44

Hello Lily8,on the 1881 Census I found Letitia she was a Barmaid with Arthur / Richard aged 3yrs and Mary Ann aged 1yr living in 156 Burlington St off Vauxhall Rd Liverpool Arthur senior was not with them at the time, he was in Kirkdale Prison at his majesty's pleasure he was a warehouseman, and also living with them was Letitia Taylor lodger aged 18yrs.Richards baptismal record states that he was baptised Arthur Richard Murphy at Sacred Heart church Low Hill Liverpool.Arthur re-married in 1886 to Bridget Kerr and they had 1 son James in 1887 then Arthur died in 1888 and she was left with 5 children to look after, I found Bridget on the 1891 census living with her father James Kerr with only 3 of the children Mary - Agnes and James living at 3 Florence Rd Walton Liverpool so the 2 missing children Arthur Richard and Emily Catherine must have been put into care in one of the local Orphanages or Dr Barnardos she mustn't have been able to look after all of them at the time,times were hard then.It could be a possibility that the Arthur Murphy you found who arrived in Quebec in 1889 could be him would it be possible that his sister Emily Catherine was on the Parisian was with him.Lily I hope that you and your son and friends have a good time all the best.Bobhamo thank you for the site you have sent me I will enjoy looking through it cheers.Once again Lily and Bobhamo thank you both very much for taking the time and effort in trying to sort this out for me I can't tell you how much it means to me all the best.......Murph
lily8

Hi Murph and thanks that information all ties in with what I had found which is good as we are on the right track I think. Now the hard part if you look at the manifest that Bob supplied you will see a few Murphies including a Cate/Catherine just a possibility that is Emily Catherine but I will have another look at the original to see if the age is approx. (hard to see) and see if we can trace her later. Hope you can bear with us as the home children are very hard to track for a lot of reasons hopefully your contact will get in touch again as that would be a terrific source. Back later Cheers
Lily
BOBHAMO

Murph what an interesting research the value of the knowledge of lily, jan. thomo,is second to non :D :D :D
to think a new generationof murphys could be in canada
hope you can find more
parisian
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/i ... mber=2771&
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
katie

I know that the Catholic Records for Children sent to Canada are at Liverpool Archives. if you email Liverpool Archives with your inquiry they may be able to help.

http://liverpool.gov.uk/contact-us/serv ... rd-office/

Historical Records

Nugent has deposited historical records which relate to Liverpool-based institutions formerly run by us, including British Home Children, with the Liverpool Record Office, Archives & Family History Department, 3rd Floor, Central Library, William Brown Street, L3 8EN. Requests for these records should be made direct to the Liverpool record office.

Files held by the Liverpool Record Office are subject to the 100 year rule and files that fall within this period are closed to the public.
lily8

Hi again Murph been busy with my son so not had much time to chase down Arthur and Emily/Catherine but good feedback from Katie which may help. Did check through the Archives Canada and really the only one that seems to fit the bill for Arthur/Richard is the one on the Parisian.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/i ... ame=ARTHUR&
Lily
murph44

Hi Lily I found Arthur and Catherine on the site Bobhamo suggested and the final destination for them was Kingston Ontario their ages are about right too Arthur aged 11 and Catherine aged 8,it is possible that it is them aboard the Parisian.Thank you Katie I will get in touch with the library and see if they can give me some Information on the children who left Liverpool for Canada thanks again,You are right Bobhamo about Lily - Jan - and Thomo and all patrons on our Bootle site their the best always willing to help us out and thank you for wishing me luck in finding my relatives cheers.Lily my problem can wait,you enjoy your sons visit its not all that often we see our kids and when we do the time just seems to fly past and we wish that they could have stayed longer all the best.Once again thank you all very much........Murph
lily8

Hi Murph I have been looking but not turning up much if you get anything more please let me know they are sometimes very hard to track down but never give up :D
Lily
anisor

My question is the opposite - my nieces grandmother was sent to Canada in 1905 at age 9 through the Barnardo Home - since her passing her
granddaughters are interested in contacting the descendants of her siblings - I have names of the descendants of her brother Henry Ashdown
who died in 1957 Bootle.

I have found the descendants of his four daughters residing in the areas of Liverpool, West Derby, Bootle, Knowsley, Wigan & Leigh from
early 1900's to 2004 - I need information on how to go about getting addresses for some of these people so we can contact them to see if
they are interested in hearing from their Canadian relatives..

The grandmother Annie Ashdown had no contact with family or England after she was sent to Canada... A lot of the children sent to
Canada were put to work as domestic servants, farm help, etc - some were treated like family others had harder lives..

If anyone is interested in helping me or give me information how to go about getting addresses I would surely appreciate any help
afforded me.. I have researched Annie's family that was left in England, her mother died giving birth in 1900 leaving a husband with
6 children - he kept 3 & 3 were put into the Barnardo Home & sent to Canada..

Thanking you, I am
Rosina Jarvis
BOBHAMO

Hi Rosina and welcome
trying to trace Henry in the directories 1938 , 1949
no luck, going back to 1900s not many ashdowns
in liverpool area
with you looking for female siblings with out marriage names
will be hard to trace them
the directories go up to 1970
the genies are good on this site
think you might have to forward your info
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
anisor

appreciate your prompt reply - thanks

herewith are the extended families of Henry Ashdown's daughters

1. Muriel Ashdown b. 1923 West Derby m. Sydney Blakeman 1944 Bootle
their children: Muriel P. Blakeman b. 1945 Liverpool m. Peter Turley 1966 Bootle their children Deborah Jayne b. 1968 Bootle & Kerrie Lynn b. 1970 Liverpool
Phillip S. Blakeman b. 1953 Bootle

2. Olive Ashdown b. 1926 West Derby m. Ronald W. Hatchard 1947 Bootle their children (a) David A. Hatchford b. 1949 m. Patricia Rogan 1972 Bootle their children
Paula Jane Hatchard b. 1972 m. Arran C. McDonald 1998 Ribble Valley their children Amelia Caitlin b. 2000 Manchester & Corben Arran b. 2002 Wigan & Leigh....
Christopher David Hatchard b. 1974 Liverpool m. Suzanne L. Dockery 1998 Sefton N.
(b) Linda L. Hatchard b. 1951 Bootle m. John A. Miller 1974 Bootle their children Steven John b. 1975 & Cheryl b. 1980 both Liverpool
(c) Jean Hatchard b. 1952 Bootle m. Derek Howarth 1977 Crosby their children Carolyn Jane b. 1980 Liverpool & Julie Suzanne b. 1982 Sefton
(d) Ronald G. Hatchard b. 1954 Bootle
(e) Leslie Hatchard b. 1957 Bootle d. 1969 Liverpool

3. Mary Ashdown b. 1938 Bootle m. Stanley G. Hodgkin 1960 Bootle their children Muriel P. b. 1945 Liverpool m. Peter Turley their children Debra Jane b, 1968 Bootle
& Kerrie Lynne b. 1970 Liverpool

4. Frances Ashdown b. 1928 West Derby d. 1930 West Derby
5. Jean Ashdown b. 1934 West Derby

Trust you are able to decipher all of the above - hopefully someone will be able to come across a recent home address for anyone of the above.
Thanking you, I am
Rosina
anisor

Sorry I'v made an error on #3 Mary Ashdown - she married Stanley G. Hopkins 1960 Bootle - their children were
Iain Stanley Hodgkin b. 1966 Liverpool S. m. Angela M.A. Wilson 1989 Knowsley their children Rachel Natalie b. 1993 & Jemma Louise b. 1997 both Knowsley

Susan Mary Hodgkin b. 1972 Liverpool S. m. Robert G. Kirk 1997 W. Lancaster their children were Jack Andrew b. 2002 Liverpool & Daniel Robert b. 2004 Liverpool

Sorry for mixup had a senior moment..
Rosina